SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fancy a Group B Rally car, preferably a Lancia Delta S4, but I want it to be an over powered handful to drive that if you're good you can get quick times out of, but will sling itself in the hedge if you don't concentrate, basically like a 1:1 Group B car, somehow I don't think the SCX Delta is going to give me this experience.

I suspect the MSC cars will handle a bit too well and are too expensive (and I don't like the looks of them)
I can't find the Spirit 205 T 16 for sale
I don't like the poor quality of Team Slot Cars

Any other suggestions please or should I just put a hairy motor into the SCX Delta S4?

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Hi Julian

I think you might be supprised at the SCX Delta S4 - my mini review

You can get some very quick times out of it, but push it too hard and your off. It has the fastest SCX motor in it. There are some very cheap examplke around at the moment. Keep it 4WD for a full on hard drive!

The quickest off your list (and the most tricky to get set up right) is the Spirit 205.

Shame you don't like the MSC cars, the Ford is an easy drive when set up right - the 6R4 seems to be more of a handle (like you want!).

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be fair I haven't seen the MSC 6R4 but the RS 200 doesn't look quite right, though it's got to be 20 years since I saw a 1:1 of either car, the old SCX RS200 looks better, but I'm not keen on the price of the MSC cars either - I know they're good and you get what you pay for - but I'm tight.

Put a bid in on an SCX Delta S4 on Ebay for a bit less than Top Slots are currently selling them for, if I don't win that I'll buy on from Top Slots as for the price looks like it could be what I'm after, and I've got an RX4H motor at home that can always be put in it.

·
fred
1,608 Posts
Have you checked out the older Exin/ SCX cars? Lancia 037 Audi Quattro Porsche 959 Ford RS200

You may find a spirit Peugeot 205 T16 at a swapmeet

There are a few resin bodies of Gruppe B cars about if you look hard enough

Pendles are selling the SCX Delta S4 for £20 at the moment.

just a thought.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes found some resins, looks like I could be spending the winter making model cars.
And I like the SCX RS200 and Lancia 037, but so do lots of other people judging by the money they go for.
You've got the SCX Delta S4, what does it run like or has it never left the box?

·
fred
1,608 Posts
The SCX S4 was not on my list of priorites to tune up, and the few times I ran it with just the usual basic tweeks I found it to be very average and top heavy.

funnily enough, I was playing about with it a few weeks ago and just swapped a slot.it axle/ wheel for the original parts and it made a drastic difference. I do believe with some serious thought it would be a viable project.

Maybe a rally category next year?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi, I know you said you are not keen on team slot cars but my standard teamslot renault 5 is the fastest of all my rally cars around my scaley classic track. Best lap time about 2 or 3 tenths up on the scx s4 and ninco focus. Drove it for the first time in ages the other day and it suprised me how good it was so am now very tempted to get another one in a different livery!

Cheers

Ste

PS Thats without magnets!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi there,

the TeamSlot Maxiturbo is one of my favorite cars, as you can see here , lot's of fun but not so hard to drive.
I had my "Group B experience" with the Meeke Peugeot 207 from AvantSlot because of its powerfull engine. Even if you turn voltage down there's always a point where it used to explode, just like Group B !!
So my advise would be to go for the car you like the most and get an engine that fits your preference.

Greetings
Akademus

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've won a Revell Audi Quattro S1 fairly cheaply on EBay, I suspect it's going to be an evil handling pig, but should be fun sorting it out, I got it so cheap it doesn't matter if I have to rechassis it.

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
my msc rs200 is my fastest rally car with a bit of tuning, it doesnt handle like a road car at all. the metro 6r4 from the same people is probably my most fun group b car. scx delta and renault 5 are both fun to drive the renault 5 is probably a bit more of a handful as its only 2wd the delta s4 is still fun though. my only other group b car is the fly 037 which is pants as a rally car it cant really handle any lumps or bumps.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 14 Sep 2011, 09:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've won a Revell Audi Quattro S1 fairly cheaply on EBay, I suspect it's going to be an evil handling pig, but should be fun sorting it out, I got it so cheap it doesn't matter if I have to rechassis it.

Probably right, as I have the SWB Quattro and it took some tuning to be just acceptable. But the Opel Ascona by Revell was amazingly good right out of the box after just removing the magnet?!

The Spirit R5 is also a very quick Gr B car!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Revell Ascona was fine on Carrera track but rubbish on anything else as it came - I ended up changing the motor, guide and rear wheels and adding some weight now it's good fun but not fast.
Which brings me on to the Quattro which was delivered yesterday, it comes with the skinniest wheels I've ever seen on a RTR slot car and the guide is barely in the slot. As it came it would barely go round a corner without it's magnet, so after a bit of experimentation I've ended up with the following setup - Fly racing guide, Scalextric Mk1 Imprezza front wheels and tyres, Slot It Orange motor, Slot It 15x8 rear wheels and Ninco 20x11 tyres. It's now fast but requires 100% concentration to get a good time out of, which is exactly what I wanted to achieve.
I do know of a fairly easy way to make it quicker and easier to drive if I wanted to, the wheelbase is the same as a Ninco Porsche 934, so the chassis from that could be put under the Audi with a little work, but I don't think I'll bother because I'd end up with a car that drives like a Ninco 934 (nothing wrong with that) but looks like a Quattro, I've got 3 Ninco 934s already so don't really want another car that drives like one.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I've read this thread with interest. My next batch of cars will predominantly be GroupB. The next car on my list being the SCX Delta S4 mentioned here.

So far, I've only got an SCX quattro which was an absolute pig to get set-up.
.......but now that it is, it's mint.

Others on my list are;-
6R4 - will have to be MSC
RS200 - either MSC or Scalextric C3156
037 - Fly
205T16 - Spirit, but not the Pike's Peak version
and one or other of the SCX Renault 5s

The 6R4, 037 and 205T16 will undoubtably have to wait quite a while for the funds to become available - my pocket won't stretch to anything more than Scalextric or SCX money yet.

Slightly OT...........

QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 17 Sep 2011, 13:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My Revell Ascona was fine on Carrera track but rubbish on anything else as it came - I ended up changing the motor, guide and rear wheels and adding some weight now it's good fun but not fast.
Hhmmm........ I've got one of those on my group2/group4 want list. I may have to revise that now. TBH, I was only drawn to it because I always liked them back in the day (I had a friend who navigated one on the '82 RAC). If it's going to take time and extra spending to get it set-up right, I don't think I'll bother. I've already got 4 group2/group4 cars, and a couple more SCX cars on the want list so, really, that's sufficient.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
My advice is only get the Revell Ascona if it's cheap, I think mine cost £25 and I've put about £15 worth of bits into it, for that money I could have bought an MSC 6R4 and for a bit more the Avant Slot Manta 400 when it comes out.
I only bought the Ascona because I had two 1:1 Mantas and they were the first decent cars I owned, the Quattro cost £10 and again has had around £15 worth of parts put into it - though with both cars I had all the bits already.
I think the Porsche 911SC is a Group B car, Ninco do one of these that is basically the same car as the Ninco 934, these are very good and great fun.

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
the scalextric rs200 looks rubbish next to the msc version, and drive wise its no good on a rally track with bumps and jumps, so for the extra couple of quid id go for msc.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 17 Sep 2011, 17:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My advice is only get the Revell Ascona if it's cheap I've just discovered TeamSlot do 3 different liveries on an Ascona shell.

Going back to the SCX Delta S4 mentioned earlier........... I've just won one on eBay.

R5 maxiturbo or RS200 will be next but that won't be until this time next month.

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
stu why dont you head down to tyneside slot car club on wednesday its rally night and there will be 2 mdf routed rally tracks to play on really good fun. Im planning on bringing down my group B collection so far so it will be good for you to look at and see what you like

1 - 20 of 32 Posts