SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hi all. a guy at our club last night brought in a NEW SLOT.IT SICA07D - JAGUAR XJR6 SILVERSTONE 1986 WARWICK
He opened her up in front of me, just to see for himself what it was like. Also true the tyres. He is new to this game.
Anyway. Looking at it, the wires to the braids where showing. and he asked me to have a look. No Eyelets. Wire just went into guide/flag, mated to braid. Anyway. Not having the time to faff around. I said leave the car with me and I go through it for you for next week.
So, here it is on my bench. What is holding the wire to the braid, guide? Two Grub screws.
Has anybody found this on a new Slot.it car before? Is it a new idea from Slot.it?
Interested to know what you all think.
I'll tell you who it came from, where it was bought, later. You can guess if you like.

Car cost £47.99. This company, I think, buys secounds. and flogs them off as new. after a bodge or two.

·
Tel
4,032 Posts
For that price it should have been brand new and sealed !
But grub screws is indeed how Slot.It send them out now. I believe it was a measure to combat the eylets coming out.
I personally don't like it, I have always found replace brass eyelets with NSR ones and they make a snug fit, not had any come out while using that method

Alternatively, just tin a small amount of solder onto the slot it eyelets for the same result.

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Hi Saviour,
I don't know how made it is
, but in my humble opinion, the grub scew solution is excellent
. I have changed all eyelets to grub screws, be it Slot.its, NSRs or Flys. A significant downside, however, is that quite a few people have a hard time seeing and handling the tiny M2 screws.
Br,
Christian

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Mr. Olufsen @ 16 Feb 2012, 13:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Saviour,
I don't know how made it is
, but in my humble opinion, the grub scew solution is excellent
. I have changed all eyelets to grub screws, be it Slot.its, NSRs or Flys. A significant downside, however, is that quite a few people have a hard time seeing and handling the tiny M2 screws.
Br,
Christian

Mr. Olufsen, Trust you to be different
I'll stick with the eyelets. Quick to change. OLD School, collage, or, maybe just me.

·
David J
3,182 Posts
QUOTE (Saviour @ 16 Feb 2012, 09:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This company, I think, buys secounds. and flogs them off as new. after a bodge or two.
Any evidence of this or is it just an "I think"?

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
So, by collage you mean hotchpotch, Saviour? Sorry, I'm not a Sotonian and not a native English speaker

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Nor you? Not a Southamptonese or not a native English speaker? Thanks for the exchange of views
, enjoyed it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
QUOTE (Saviour @ 16 Feb 2012, 09:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all. a guy at our club last night brought in a NEW SLOT.IT SICA07D - JAGUAR XJR6 SILVERSTONE 1986 WARWICK
He opened her up in front of me, just to see for himself what it was like. Also true the tyres. He is new to this game.
Anyway. Looking at it, the wires to the braids where showing. and he asked me to have a look. No Eyelets. Wire just went into guide/flag, mated to braid. Anyway. Not having the time to faff around. I said leave the car with me and I go through it for you for next week.
So, here it is on my bench. What is holding the wire to the braid, guide? Two Grub screws.
Has anybody found this on a new Slot.it car before? Is it a new idea from Slot.it?
Interested to know what you all think.
I'll tell you who it came from, where it was bought, later. You can guess if you like.

Car cost £47.99. This company, I think, buys secounds. and flogs them off as new. after a bodge or two.

Firstly he should have shopped around as i paid £44.99 from a well know web retailer.
As mentioned above i read that slot it have introduced this to stop the wires coming out which is most frustrating. I see some are using NSR eyelets, i have used Ninco ones in the past.

At a first look this new guide does seem to have more freedom than past ones. We shall see.

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts