SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was thinking do you think the scalextric Gt40 is the best 1/32 slot car out there or at least the best scalextric car out there? Just wondering cause i was in an argument with someone over this topic. I think it is but i guess it's personal preference!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I really like the scaley GT40's but would be hard pushed to choose between them, mustang, camero and tuscan as 'the best' scalextric car in my collection.

·
Registered
265 Posts
For a willing test-bed, the GT40 has been excellent. Against the likes of the MRRC Toyotas, or the Fly Beemers it only comes close. Even hot-rodded there are several cars that can beat it, but not on the sheer "fun factor" of ripping them around the track. Best Scaley car? Won't say at this point as there are so many missions for cars. The Nascars are certainly up there for "raceability", especially when they have been "enhanced" for high intensity work.

Cheers!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Out of the box its not the best. The tyres on mine was lousy! And its very difficult to weigt tune because of the lack of space! And weigth is important for me because REAL MEN race whatever they want, which is slotcars without magnets

But IMO its one of the most beautiful cars ever made IRL. One that comes close to the GT40 is Lamborghini Miura. I cant wait til Autoart releases that one!

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
QUOTE (Fangio @ 2 Aug 2004, 09:34)IMO its one of the most beautiful cars ever made IRL. One that comes close to the GT40 is Lamborghini Miura. I cant wait til Autoart releases that one!

I tend to agree with Fangio here, the Miura is a must-have for me

I love my GT40, especially after fitting Slot-it rear wheels on it... also put the magnet way forward and lots less strong, it's a blast to drive now

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can't keep my Scalextric Gt40 in the slot, I've added lead inside (where I could find room) and even the thin sheet type on the bottom. I put PPR supertires on, which helped, but it won't stay in like the Mustang, or Camaro.

I also have the Fly Gt40 with updated chassis, and I really like driving that car! It needs some weight also, but it never deslots.

I have a routed layout with copper tape so magnets are useless!

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
Is it the best? NO. On the Sport track layout I sometimes race on, the best Scalex is the MG. There is absolutely nothing that can come anywhere near it! True I'm not competing with anyone that is a great slotcar driver. But then nor am I.
Alfetta

·
Registered
514 Posts
This depends on what criteria you are judging the cars from.
I only race mine with magnets, and they are not the fastest. However they are great fun to drive, and are among my favourite Scalextrc cars there.
They also look great, and I think they are one of the best looking Scalextric cars.

The main drawback with them is that they, like a lot of my Scalextric cars, are so brittle. Headlight lenses, windscreen wipers and all such small parts have fell of on the ones I have for racing...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Best 1/32 slot car for me is the Slot It Audi. Fast AND fun.

Best Scalextric car : the MG Lola.

The GT40's are good but are not the best

·
Registered
571 Posts
The GT40 IS my favourite slot car. Although it is very fast it is not my fastest car. However, the car is just great fun to drive. It is one of the few magnet cars I can consistently get to drift as it comes through the corners, without threatening to leap off the track. Luurrvly! Plus it must be said that it looks fantastic.

Judging by the number of different variations Scalextric produce it is obviously very popular with a lot of people.

·
Registered
800 Posts
My Scalextric GT40 is my fastest plastic car. Of course I changed the armature, motor magnets, wiring and guide flag. Added neo magnets up front and in the rear then trued the wheels on a lathe. Added silicone tires and it runs peachy.

I'm still leaning towards replacing the axles, gears and bushings. Oh, and maybe alter the body a bit more than I already have. I mentioned that the body was altered, didn't I?

·
Registered
93 Posts
QUOTE (a Bill @ 3 Aug 2004, 15:31)...Oh, and maybe alter the body a bit more than I already have. I mentioned that the body was altered, didn't I?

Can we see it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts