SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
3DP chassis and new high quality running gear for existing classics is great, but it soon becomes very expensive, typical 2-3 times the cost of the car if you include postage from different suppliers.

Since bad chassis designed for plastic track and magnets is the biggest flaw of the non-pro slot cars, there got to be a market for a 3DP transkit series that focus on re-using as much as possible of the original running gear.

A kit should include a good chassis designed for wood track performance with digital chip mounts/holes, include a flat interior tray and hardware needed to convert the car without having to source parts from different suppliers or destroy the original parts.
A car modified with 3dp chasis and runing gears, etc will always be more expensive than a RTR 🤷🏻
Of course price of 3dp chasis sometimes goes too high (like the ones in Shapeways), so being a hobby and not a big bussiness or industry we all should try to make the 3dp accesible for everyone who wants to try and race these “new” tech, that’s why the efforts of mates like Chappy, Nimrod, Beardy, Alexis, Greg and all the 3dp designers should be appreciated, cause thanks to them we can have in our hands models that otherwise won’t exist in the Slot world or that could be +300 euros, just my humble opinion…

Reactions: r377

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
To each their own I suppose. We alll have our likes and dislikes. GT3’s do it for me. I’m happy with the new influx of GT’s. Plus I can watch current races with them in it.

You guys love certain one off classic cars, which is great, but even if the sell one like hot cakes, there are limited liveries to choose from, and maybe not a ton of iconic cars that they have raced against back in the day.

Heath

·
ParrotGod
9,292 Posts
I totally I agree Heath. And watching at these modern warriors racing is also a big bonus.
I have never thought of this but watching some of these teams engaging in epic battles drive me to buy or build their 1/32 cars.

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
When men drew cars on paper the talent of the designer showed through and every designer had their own ideas of what the perfect racing car should be like. Now you put the result you want in to some design program and out pops a curved blob with big wings. Fill the gap between body and wing and I see lots of very similar thingies.
With the classic and vintage cars you don't need a dozen different models to make a realistic field, four or five different models will more than make a very realistic field of twenty cars as back then all the major manufactures would enter four or five cars in to any big race, some would even enter two or three different models in the same race. Yes nearly every Ferrari would be red but they would all have a different bit of colour somewhere on the nose, bonnet or as a stripe. Then when the cars passed on to privateers even more colours and there is even the option of doing there current classic racing versions.

We race GTs, group C and Group 5 at my club so I have to have some of these but I have no idea what the other cars are most of the time, and to be honest I'm not the bothered. The GTs do look a bit different because it's any Gt but to me all the Gp3 car look the same to me.

In the end I think it all comes down to what you grew up with, just like music and comedy and your other hobbies.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
In the end I think it all comes down to what you grew up with, just like music and comedy and your other hobbies.
As you Brits say:"hear, hear" The single only logical conclusion one may take home from this otherwise "ranting" topic.

And I do solomely swear that in no time in the future (decades) will I ever post an "E-GT fed up" topic, cause racing slot versions of non gas guzzling, exhaust flame producing race cars doesn't appeal to me.;)

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
As you Brits say:"hear, hear" The single only logical conclusion one may take home from this otherwise "ranting" topic.

And I do solomely swear that in no time in the future (decades) will I ever post an "E-GT fed up" topic, cause racing slot versions of non gas guzzling, exhaust flame producing race cars doesn't appeal to me.;)

With kind regards
Tamar
No one from the petrol era would really “like” the electric cars, not even a Gt or Prototype, that’s a truth, just look at the face of the childs 😮 at any video when the petrol based cars pass reving their motors, once you hear that music you don’t go for the almost silenced engines of the electric cars😉, as Kimi Raikonnen said “there’s hope” hehehe.

·
Tore
1,758 Posts
A car modified with 3dp chasis and runing gears, etc will always be more expensive than a RTR 🤷🏻
Of course price of 3dp chasis sometimes goes too high (like the ones in Shapeways), so being a hobby and not a big bussiness or industry we all should try to make the 3dp accesible for everyone who wants to try and race these “new” tech, that’s why the efforts of mates like Chappy, Nimrod, Beardy, Alexis, Greg and all the 3dp designers should be appreciated, cause thanks to them we can have in our hands models that otherwise won’t exist in the Slot world or that could be +300 euros, just my humble opinion…
What I was wondering was if any of the 3DP guys would be interested in making chassis for 60's GT cars that are designed to re-use the original parts and be prepared for digital conversion.

For instance, I would like to make a grid of 60's GT's to race on Carrera Digital. The problem is that they are front motored and run poorly without silly magnets.

FLY Ferrari 250 GTO
Revell Jaguar E-type Lightweight
Revell Cobra Daytona Coupe
Revell Corvette GS
MRRC Cobra

There must be a ton of these cars collecting dust on shelves, so there has to be a lot of people interested in 3DP chassis to race them mag-less or digital, without having to go the full tuning parts route.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
The problem with 1/32 "Classic" GT's , 3DP and digital is the inherent lack of real estate under the body.
If you want to improve the stock car there's hardly room for a podded chassis a motor, a digital chip and the accompanying plumbing (a.k.a wiring).
Contrary to my earlier post I do like Classic GT's but in 1/32 they are just to small to make them perform to what I like.
But since you've got Carrera...why don't you upscale? Go 1/24
A 1/24 E-type Lightweight would be what 70mm wide, that's only 5mm wider than a pancaked NSR Mosler.
And in 1/24 scale, you can have all the scale goodies down to the last rivet.

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
The problem with 1/32 "Classic" GT's , 3DP and digital is the inherent lack of real estate under the body.
If you want to improve the stock car there's hardly room for a podded chassis a motor, a digital chip and the accompanying plumbing (a.k.a wiring).
Contrary to my earlier post I do like Classic GT's but in 1/32 they are just to small to make them perform to what I like.
But since you've got Carrera...why don't you upscale? Go 1/24
A 1/24 E-type Lightweight would be what 70mm wide, that's only 5mm wider than a pancaked NSR Mosler.
And in 1/24 scale, you can have all the scale goodies down to the last rivet.

With kind regards
Tamar
Well Tamar has a good point here, I have troubles setting the Classics with performance parts and 3dp chasis for analogue racing, precisely because as he says, there isn’t enough room🤷🏻 Adding chip and wires of it seems a greater challenge…

·
David H
3,900 Posts
What I was wondering was if any of the 3DP guys would be interested in making chassis for 60's GT cars that are designed to re-use the original parts and be prepared for digital conversion.

For instance, I would like to make a grid of 60's GT's to race on Carrera Digital. The problem is that they are front motored and run poorly without silly magnets.

FLY Ferrari 250 GTO
Revell Jaguar E-type Lightweight
Revell Cobra Daytona Coupe
Revell Corvette GS
MRRC Cobra

There must be a ton of these cars collecting dust on shelves, so there has to be a lot of people interested in 3DP chassis to race them mag-less or digital, without having to go the full tuning parts route.
I think you'd end up being disappointed if you tried to use the original parts but alter them to be rear-motored rather than front-motored. The Rev/Mon motors don't have very good brakes, the wheels, whilst very nicely detailed, often aren't true and suffer damage when removing them from the standard knurled axles, and the standard gearing is quite long and exacerbates the motor's weak braking.

It's more expensive to use new components, clearly, but the end result will be something that's not a compromise and is nice to drive.

Olifer do a nice 3DP chassis for the RevMon Jaguar which fits both the standard and Lightweight shells. Olifer's 3DP chassis for the Cobra Daytona Coupe isn't so good (I bought one and chose not to use it), having been compromised in its design by moving the rear axle forward slightly in order to avoid the need to cut the underhanging part of the rear bodywork, which means the rear wheels don't sit centrally fore-aft in the wheel arch. It's only a small mismatch, but it doesn't look great, to me at least.

I don't have my cars easily to hand to photograph, but have old photos, shown below. The E-Type Lightweight has an Olifer chassis, but the Corvette Grand Sport uses its original chassis with a Slot.it pod grafted in. I've done the same grafting to a Cobra Daytona. The original wheels were turned down and used as inserts. The interiors of the cars have to be butchered quite substantially, but mine retain the original driver figure and dash and although I've not done so, I'm sure there's ample room to fit a digital chip. I've also fitted an Olifer 3DP chassis to a Fly Alfa Romeo TZ2 with great success.

If you want to modify narrower cars that don't have room for wheels with protruding bosses as Slot.it, NSR and many other wheels do, look at the Sloting Plus range of wheels. All of them are only as wide as the tread of the tyre, so are great when body width is minimal.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Aston martin db5

Camera accessory Gadget Camera Film camera Automotive exterior

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Vehicle Trunk Camera lens Cameras & optics Bumper

Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Sloting Plus wheels.
Automotive tire Plumbing fixture Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I think you'd end up being disappointed if you tried to use the original parts but alter them to be rear-motored rather than front-motored. The Rev/Mon motors don't have very good brakes, the wheels, whilst very nicely detailed, often aren't true and suffer damage when removing them from the standard knurled axles, and the standard gearing is quite long and exacerbates the motor's weak braking.

It's more expensive to use new components, clearly, but the end result will be something that's not a compromise and is nice to drive.

Olifer do a nice 3DP chassis for the RevMon Jaguar which fits both the standard and Lightweight shells. Olifer's 3DP chassis for the Cobra Daytona Coupe isn't so good (I bought one and chose not to use it), having been compromised in its design by moving the rear axle forward slightly in order to avoid the need to cut the underhanging part of the rear bodywork, which means the rear wheels don't sit centrally fore-aft in the wheel arch. It's only a small mismatch, but it doesn't look great, to me at least.

I don't have my cars easily to hand to photograph, but have old photos, shown below. The E-Type Lightweight has an Olifer chassis, but the Corvette Grand Sport uses its original chassis with a Slot.it pod grafted in. I've done the same grafting to a Cobra Daytona. The original wheels were turned down and used as inserts. The interiors of the cars have to be butchered quite substantially, but mine retain the original driver figure and dash and although I've not done so, I'm sure there's ample room to fit a digital chip. I've also fitted an Olifer 3DP chassis to a Fly Alfa Romeo TZ2 with great success.

If you want to modify narrower cars that don't have room for wheels with protruding bosses as Slot.it, NSR and many other wheels do, look at the Sloting Plus range of wheels. All of them are only as wide as the tread of the tyre, so are great when body width is minimal.

View attachment 287522
View attachment 287523
View attachment 287524
View attachment 287525
View attachment 287526

Sloting Plus wheels.
View attachment 287527
My kinda tuning 😃👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

·
ParrotGod
9,292 Posts
As you can see from Dopamine pics there is very little space for installing a chip in these classic cars.
I also would like to see some of these in 1/24...It think you should be able to race them even on scalextric.

·
Registered
442 Posts
PETER GUNN - i can see where your coming from, heaps of manufactures do modern gt3.

I did get a area71 ferrari 250, it was stupidly narrow to fit any type of rim / tyre on.

I have run heats of cartrix on small tight tracks and they were good fun. Skinny tyres meant skilled driving that would have matched what it would of been like to drive the 1:1 car slipping all round the track.

Slot.it would actually be a good company to do something from that era just before the big tyred Gt40 / 917 etc. They already have the skinny pod from DTM cars and could use that same low powered motor. They have the 8mm rims and tyres also. I don't think too many of us would complain if they were not exactly to scale. If not they could do a 6mm rim.

Slot.it already have the group c and DTM which many clubs run, this era of car could be another separate class for them. Would it be as popular as the DTM class ? yeh probably, DTM are popular in europe but not really in Aust/USA

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive design

Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Hood

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive design

Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
So, maybe the OP should edit the topic's title, as apparently its not "GT FED UP" but just "MODERN GT FED UP" ;)

But I do believe you guys are barking up the wrong tree here. If I may make an suggestion. Try persuading BRM to release some of these cars in 1/24.
As mentioned before most of the pre 65' cars are very small, how small, well small enough to make a Fiat500 look tall.
And most 1/32nd club do run those BRM Fiat's (and the NSU's & Simca's) without any problems on their 1/32 tracks.

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Nothing wrong with modern gt's etc as they can allow good close racing, but it can become little "samey" as week after week you hurl these cars around the track. So why not run something completley different on an occasional Club night.
Classic cars with narrow tyres can be fun even on a big track we have proved this many times by running proxy races to set rules on big tracks like Wolverhampton and that was with restricted motors of 14K.
There are many suitable chassis out there that can be used if you don't even want to build a simple brass ladder chassis that this type of car favours.
Chassis by JS, RS, Penelope Pitlane, PCS and many others on Shapeways are all suitable. Choose a low powered motor and a maximum width of tyre and you are away.
I have converted many early Scalextric bodies to run in this type of racing using the excellent RS chassis and PCS wheels and tyres.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Car
IMG_0108.jpeg

You will get close racing and you can acually see the cars!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Still, I will stand by David's remark, Love for race cars very much depends on age and first race experiences.
I've been to Classic Le Mans twice, all cars dating from turn of century back to the 1960 and some 1950's still provide a good racing spectacle.
All "tableaux's" pre dating 1950 only trigger a response as "historic value" with me.

With kind regards
Tamar

41 - 60 of 122 Posts