SlotForum banner

GT FED UP

10K views 121 replies 32 participants last post by  GeeMax706 
#1 ·
Now don't get me wrong not against GT cars but i,m really getting bored with the constant release of them,ok there is not a lot going on , but you can count of at least a GT3 or a GT 4 being released on a regular basis , and yep i,m fed up with them.
Saved a few pennies and wanted to treat myself to a couple of classics and found there ain't any , ok the odd Fly but i want something a bit better, say a couple of Aston Martins from the early 60,s, or a couple of Ferraris was looking forward last year to Policar releasiong the P4 in Maranello Concessionairs colours but nothing happerned.
Is it me or am i wanting to much to ask say one or two of the major suppliers like slot it or NSR making some of those sports cars a nice testa Ferrari or a good E type, even a couple of differant GT 40,s like the open one just imagin what sort of model they could produce.
Ok there are resin kits you can buy , but with my arthritis it,s got hard doing them and it would be nice to just buy a good one of the shelf, but they ain't gonna listen to me so once again this xmas there is nothing for me to buy to run with with my classics.
So will take my ill gotten gains and spend it on Wine, Song, Whisky, Sausage rolls , forget about Women can't afford one anyway

#76 ·
OED definition 7b
b. Designating an older motor vehicle of acknowledged quality, esp. of a type sought after by collectors. Chiefly in classic car.

The above definition I think rules out the Marina and Allegro as I don't think anyone would use the word quality (I had a Marina, very tatty and rusty and held together in places more by luck than the welding. Amazing how people always gave way to it 😃 🤣 )

#77 ·
Veteran car: one made prior to 1905.

Vintage car: made prior to 1931.

Post-vintage thoroughbred: 1931-1940 provided it is a thoroughbred. Rolls-Royce, for example, are excluded due to lack of sporting history.

Classic: a masterpiece of Greek or Latin literature. A masterpiece! Can be made today, tomorrow, yesterday or at any other time in terms of classic cars. A car that survives a 24-hour hammering at Le Mans is a classic. A masterpiece of engineering integrity and prowess.

By contrast, a Hillman Minx made in 1965 was junk in 1965 and still is.

I will now go and bang my head against a brick wall yet again.

#79 ·
I have to say, I don't have to but I'm gonna, Dope's low-drag E-Type is cool. I had one once - model, not... - but couldn't get it to run and never saw a 3D chassis at the time.

I would find it hard to not buy a Policar version if one were ever made. I'd pass on any of the other 'classics', though. 🤷‍♂️

#83 ·
Oh boy sorry chaps to offend yet again , just would like to have some of that type of car i have outlined above made better by the top manufacturers that's all, i have often been refered to as a classic , vintage, amongst other things .
I really find it mystefying how this aricle can drag up so much angst , think i'll call it a day and leave it to you lot to decide what is what if what is ever what, time for me to go and drink a very large scotch.

#84 ·
Maybe I am too used to the carp that is going on in the digital sub-forum here, but I think this is overall a nice discussion.
It has been clear to me for a while that most of the people in slotcar like the old classic (call it what ever you want). Surely, this is the situation around analog clubs in NZ.

Me personally, I like modern racing cars.
Every year there is always something new and exciting coming up ...I just wish manufactures would be quicker to keep up with this evolution.

#86 ·
Btw Hobby Classic is releasing a ultra limited edition of only 20 pieces of the Ac Cobra with 3dp chasis and an Indian motorcycle in a trailer being pulled by the Cobra , I don’t want to know it’s price $$$!! , but someone else asked about a high performance Cobra…there you go!🙃

Moral is : Be careful what you wish for!

#87 ·
Now don't get me wrong not against GT cars but i,m really getting bored with the constant release of them,ok there is not a lot going on , but you can count of at least a GT3 or a GT 4 being released on a regular basis , and yep i,m fed up with them.
Saved a few pennies and wanted to treat myself to a couple of classics and found there ain't any , ok the odd Fly but i want something a bit better, say a couple of Aston Martins from the early 60,s, or a couple of Ferraris was looking forward last year to Policar releasiong the P4 in Maranello Concessionairs colours but nothing happerned.
Is it me or am i wanting to much to ask say one or two of the major suppliers like slot it or NSR making some of those sports cars a nice testa Ferrari or a good E type, even a couple of differant GT 40,s like the open one just imagine what sort of model they could produce.
Ok there are resin kits you can buy , but with my arthritis it,s got hard doing them and it would be nice to just buy a good one of the shelf, but they ain't gonna listen to me so once again this xmas there is nothing for me to buy to run with with my classics.
So will take my ill gotten gains and spend it on Wine, Song, Whisky, Sausage rolls , forget about Women can't afford one anyway
Virtually all the cars you are looking for are currently available. If you are willing to get your head down from the clouds and look at the likes of Carrera and Scalextric.
While not as fancy and with just a 18000rpm motor, They certainly are fast enough, for, if as I guess, is not your fort.

Yes, I do have Pioneer, Slot-it, Policar and Sideways cars. However the bulk of my fleet of cars are Scalextric plus 3 Carrera cars.. With a little tuning and urethane tyres
handle really well plus being much more robust and looking as good as the high end lot. Detail on these low end cars is now exceptional.
Plus duo to the high end cars, looking for refinement and low weight are far more fragile. I notice the body shell on one of them in particular is near flimsy!

TO EACH HIS OWN

#88 ·
Virtually all the cars you are looking for are currently available. If you are willing to get your head down from the clouds and look at the likes of Carrera and Scalextric.
While not as fancy and with just a 18000rpm motor, They certainly are fast enough, for, if as I guess, is not your fort.

Yes, I do have Pioneer, Slot-it, Policar and Sideways cars. However the bulk of my fleet of cars are Scalextric plus 3 Carrera cars.. With a little tuning and urethane tyres
handle really well plus being much more robust and looking as good as the high end lot. Detail on these low end cars is now exceptional.
Plus duo to the high end cars, looking for refinement and low weight are far more fragile. I notice the body shell on one of them in particular is near flimsy!

TO EACH HIS OWN
I should ignore your post ..... but I can't and/or won't.

Virtually all the cars you are looking for are currently available.
What cars and where? PETER GUNN obviously want's to know and so do I.

If you are willing to get your head down from the clouds
Now that is really brilliant coming from an Aussie.

They certainly are fast enough, for, .
for what? toys?

plus 3 Carrera cars.
Hardly enough to know how slow Carrera cars actually are then?

TO EACH HIS OWN
Fair comment, maybe should've started as well as finished with that gem.

#90 ·
Part of the interest is the different handling characteristics of the different brands, we'll to me anyway, not every car from every manufacturer needs to lap in 7 seconds on a 100 foot six lane wooden track.
I'm happy to run at that speed with an allslot or nsr F1, equally happy at 9 seconds in a scx DTM.
We are a broad church, some of you even worship at a digital one.lol.

#102 · (Edited)
Part of the interest is the different handling characteristics of the different brands, we'll to me anyway, not every car from every manufacturer needs to lap in 7 seconds on a 100 foot six lane wooden track.
Well said.

I think one of the problems with retaining members at those clubs where high speed and huge grip is all that matters is that, whatever the class, the cars are almost identical to drive. They might just as well be a spec class with a standard chassis and a blob for a body. It's boring and, for those like me that prefer their competition to be about driver skill rather than engineering skill, not very satisfying.

The reason I'd like the "quality" brands to produce some of the cars that have been talked about in this thread isn't because they'd be fast (although they almost certainly would be), but because they'd be free of the frustrations of the wobbly wheels, loose bearings, brakeless motors, top-heavy bodies and similar that blight the cars produced by the "toy" brands like Scalextric.

#93 ·
I agree that we are a broad church, and comparatively there are very few manufacturers which are already over-stretched.
3dp will play a very important role here...actually 3dp is already changing the game.
The only thing is that you will need still to paint and decorate the body...once we will have 3dp printers that can also finish the bodies with colour and tampos then we will all have our holy grail.

#95 ·
Getting back on to the original topic subject although I like and have a few of the older 'classis' cars from the home end of the market I agree with Keith that it would be nice to have a few different models to race against the Policar P4 and GT40s from Slot.it and NSR. In period finishes would be nice but even a Goodwood style revival field, late 50's and 60's cars, would be nice, cars you can in theory race on any track, plastic or wood, out of the box.

#99 ·
I was thinking that using the thunderslot-like chassis as a basis, you could put any kind of classis GT bodies on top of that.
Expanding more on the 3dp front, if say NSR would start printing the bodies (let's say in resin given) and then using their tampo facilities to decorate them, they could avoid investing on expensive molds and reduce the time to get to market. For us, we could get ready to run models.
The question is if we would buy them...

#106 ·
Totally agree with you, if you keep a level playing field, ie race Scaley cars and/or Carrera or Slot.it, then you can have good close racing. Keep the cars in these classes close to stock and you can enjoy relatively inexpensive racing and maybe, just maybe, you can attract new members. Once you start buying Thunderslot or NSR cars and get them fit to race, you can be talking about easily spending over £100 - £120 per car, and that is a positive turn-off for a youngster. On top of that, you have the black art of tyre prep and set-up and all you get for your money is a few 30 lap races lasting maybe 3-4 minutes and a couple of practice sessions.
For the record, I own Thunderslots, NSR, Sideways and Slot.it cars as well as Carrera and Scalextric cars too. Racing is not about shear speed, I would rather finish last after a good, close race than win by a lap or two.

Reactions: Mr.M and Henk
#107 ·
I will try to get to where i was coming from originally as i can give you an example , one of my wife's brothers boys has got a bit interested in slot cars in fact he did get a nice scalextric set for last xmas, and tends to follow me in things even though we are not very close i do get a few E mails asking questions.
But like many youngsters he tends to not listen , which i can understand sometimes , he likes all cars but did like my Fly Ferrari 250 GTO,s which all are modified , but he didn't realise that so he purchased a Fly Ferrari 250 GTO the no 8 green one £48 quid i think it was, but he was so dissapointed as it was not at all like mine .
Steve his dad asked me could i sort it for him so it duly arrived and it was in what i call the usual Fly condition , the wheels were not great , the tyres were awaful , don't think i need to go on.
So on my bench was one Fly 250 GTO body minus everything else , now i must say the body on it's own does look nice , but that body at that moment had cost £48, so i started to sort it out , made a drivers platform for it cost nil, 3d chassis from Shapeways with postage £24, inline pod £6, axles £2, set of wire wheels £20, i had a H&R blue 18k motor which is not a bad k for this type of car , set of gears £6, guide £4, braids £2, , couple of odds and sods £4, tyres all round £8, bit of weight nil.
So now i had a really nice Fly bodied 250 slot car, which on my track went very nicely looked the part , easy driver , and really good fun to give it some wellie it will never set the world alight as it,s not meant to.
The overall cost was £136 but how could i charge him that so i didn't , i did receive a phone call from a very excited young man thanking me for doing his car and it was great and he was so happy.
But here comes the rub, umm do you think you can do another one for my mate he has a red one and it,s not very good either , perhaps now you can see why i think it would be great if Slot it or NSR started to do these types of cars which would cost a lot less than i can do one for and bring joy to youngsters, and perhaps one of you can think up a good excuse so i don't have to spend out £136 on another one for his mate.

#109 ·
Mmm the story seems familiar… when I started the hobby used to buy just one car of a certain livery and that was enough (that would be one McLaren , one Porsche Gt1 and so), later when Jr grow up he didn’t wanted to race with my cars as he wanted his “own” cars, since that the hobby increased its cost x2, and that includes cars, controls, spares etc, plus Jr developed his own driving style so sometimes its “I want those tires, etc”, but it’s part of the fun the way I see it😀

As a father I’m happy to share a good amount of time with him on the slot cars, cause anytime soon it will be chicks and friends and dad will become just a chauffeur😉

Cheers

#108 ·
I think I got where you are coming from for this thread....however, the issue at hand does not have anything to do with GT3 cars or has you put it " with the constant release of them [GT3],ok there is not a lot going on , but you can count of at least a GT3 or a GT 4 being released on a regular basis , and yep i,m fed up with them."
Maybe Thunderslot should have released a 250 GTO and the like instead of releasing the can-am cars...or NSR should stop releasing open top classics or generic F1, etc.
Sideways is the only manufacturer that is pushing constant releases of new models (bless them), followed by Scaleauto.
NSR has released one worth it GT3 (the AMG) after a long time, now also Slot.it is at it.
It is also clear that you (or your lad and friend) are not interested in the toy slotcars because they do not go that nice...unless you put another 40 pounds of components in it.

#113 ·
Cost is the issue going down the 3DP chassis route.

A number of cars I sell (new models) are body complete, chassis with guide and matching box, normally around £25. This suits club racers as they normally build so their spec using spares they already have.

The new mount, motor, wheels etc. end up being a cheap parts build kit for 3DP chassis for other cars.

Everyone's happy all round BUT it needs middle men like me and importers to sell those cheap enough make the whole chain do-able.

I currently have listed on eBay (where i use this same ID), a Scalextric Porsche 997 RSR chassis, built up and ready to race. Albeit tyres aren't glued and trued, i don't know what buyer will to do with it. But if they're happy with the Slot It F/N/G tyres I'm happy to glue and true them. Cost, bidding starts at just £29, still sounds like a lot of money but Peter is band with retail costs of the 3DP route.

You really have to have the car already and a saved selection of spares, ideally used bits bought from the likes of eBay.

Max

#115 ·
Cost is the issue going down the 3DP chassis route.

A number of cars I sell (new models) are body complete, chassis with guide and matching box, normally around £25. This suits club racers as they normally build so their spec using spares they already have.

The new mount, motor, wheels etc. end up being a cheap parts build kit for 3DP chassis for other cars.

Everyone's happy all round BUT it needs middle men like me and importers to sell those cheap enough make the whole chain do-able.

I currently have listed on eBay (where i use this same ID), a Scalextric Porsche 997 RSR chassis, built up and ready to race. Albeit tyres aren't glued and trued, i don't know what buyer will to do with it. But if they're happy with the Slot It F/N/G tyres I'm happy to glue and true them. Cost, bidding starts at just £29, still sounds like a lot of money but Peter is band with retail costs of the 3DP route.

You really have to have the car already and a saved selection of spares, ideally used bits bought from the likes of eBay.

Max
Yep I agree, when you have sometime in the hobby without noticing you’ll probably end up with a good selection of spares, from screws to motors, etc, at that point it’s easier to build a 3dp chasis for any car, as probably the cost of spares already is forgotten.

That’s even more notorious in club racers as we tend to change …everything in a car, so suddenly you have a nice bunch of “stock” spares of good quality available almost anytime. I have friends who change rear axle, braids, bearings and tires every time they race an endurance race, they sometimes give away those used spares for free to newbies or fellows who are on a budget.

Cheers

#116 ·
Just a little bit more on costs this time Scalextric really like the Camero , so bought a couple from a well known retailer £42 each, but was not over happy with them just the driving experiance without mags is not good so i 3d them as well , again all i kept was the bodies and i totalled up the cost of now owning a couple of very nice Camero,s , shh don't let the missus know but i have 2 cars which in the end cost me just over £200, need a stiff drink, but they are so good to drive .

Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car Wheel

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive design

Ok now send the men in white coats.

#119 ·
Peter

I can probably help you keep them costs down, even to me it sounds like a lot. I've listed some stuff on eBay, as cheap as I can. Mostly new or from car's I've broken up from new. Scalextric cars with retail around £41, I was normally selling for £33 a few years ago. I just asked the guys to group together ... you know 3 for £99 deal. I don't really sell Scalextric these days.

OK it's not possible for everyone BUT I'm thinking about a "pop up shop" weekend in mid December in Derby, (UK centre of the country, more-or-less). I'll start a separate thread once I'm certain I have everything ready. Weekend 18th/19th December. It's my parents old shop, we're at the tail end of completing building works, it's now 2 new shops and 4 flats on the site which was their business and our family home since the mid 80's. I used sell the slot's as a sideline from there. It's easy to find on the Derby Ring Road, with a decent forecourt.

I have a load of Ninco old stock clear (all half price or more off), and will be doing my usual 20% of all Slot It/NSR/Sideways items. For what I don't have free P&P to get the stuff out to you if it's paid for.

I'll to gauge demand - lockdown possibly round the corner might mean slot meets get moved and not sure people will venture out.

Max

#120 · (Edited)
Max, I appreciate that you're trying to make a bit of money, but please, would it be too much to ask for you to stop littering threads with your sales patter? Stick it in the Swap Shop where it belongs.

#121 ·
Four of us ran some scaley and pioneer muscle cars a few Monday practice nights back in 2017 on the six lane 100 foot wooden track at n staffs, no mods whatsoever.
These cars weren't fast ,about a second slower than scx dtm, but fun and equally important ,different, the scaley L88 vette shaded it, probably had the best tyres.
Looking forward to the Bastos Spa 24 Camaro from scaley soon,.........ISH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.