SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post this to see if anyone else see's the possibilities here..

At our local club, we race a varied number of classes from Box Stocks up to open modified cars, covering 7 different classes..

The reason was that many members had bought different class cars, and it became easier to race seperate classes to cater for everyone's wishes.

Recently, as you all know, the HRS Kit was released, and having been testing both the intial kit, as well as other "one design" concepts, it seems this is the most cost efficient route to go.

The intention is twofold.
1) to have a class which is as even and close, and which promotes competitive racing, and rewards the cleaner and more disciplined driver.
2) two race a class, using the same equipment, and to keep the class costs to an absolute minimum.

In my opinion, Slot.It just hit jackpot. We decided to persue the GT class for this one, because of the HUGE possibilities that the class offers.. There are SO MANY cars which we don't use, or can't use, purely because they're not performers on magnetless wood tracks, (Fly Listers, Marcos, BM's) etc..

Having tested my built up kit last night, I was honestly a little sceptical about the lack of surface area to put in lead for handling, but, having stuck in a reasonable slityher along the center of the chassis, and mounting a Fly Le Mans Corvette C5 on thios, it was an absolute joy to drive. very easy handling characteristics, and, with a little more development on lead and positioning, this will clearly be the best class we have.

Regards

Big AlSlotcars South Africa

·
Matt Tucker
3,550 Posts
On our clubs routed wooded track we run a TSRF class for hard bodied cars along exactly the same principles - I haven't taken part yet but the feedback is good close racing with a wide variety of body tops used.

I use the HRS chassis for the unlimied GT class where normally the proslot toyota dominates - I think with the right set-up the HRS should out class the toyota. I use a Fly Porsche GT1 as a body top so far. Maybe I'll suggest a HRS class?

Matt

·
Registered
82 Posts
Funny you should write about this:

I have been doing a cost comparison in Excel between:

any donor chassis with slot.it parts
a built up HRS chassis with slot.it parts
TSRF home chassis
HRS rolling chassis

Whilst performance will differ, I reckon they will be remarkeably similar on a wooden track. On a plastic track, the TSRF will suffer due to its weight penalty.

Costs wise:
HRS rolling chassis = 100%
any donor chassis with slot.it parts =120%
TSRF home chassis = 143%
built up HRS chassis with slot.it parts = 213%

This is valid for South Africa, but should be indicative of costs elsewhere too.

I know what I will be investing in to get some of my project cars on the road.

T

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It's a really excellent idea to choose a standard chassis in the pursuit of even racing and, though I like the TSRF chassis very much, unfortunately it does suffer pricewise, particularly once it departs from USA.

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
QUOTE (Tropi @ 13 Nov 2004, 21:08)It's a really excellent idea to choose a standard chassis in the pursuit of even racing and, though I like the TSRF chassis very much, unfortunately it does suffer pricewise, particularly once it departs from USA.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is of course due to the distribution system which calls for distributors selling to retailers. There is little we can do about this, and obviously a chassis produced in China or Europe will have a price advantage over the US-built TSRF chassis.

The TSRF chassis however, has a very long life-span and all parts are instantly available and rather inexpensive. In fact, the MOST expensive part in the chassis is the nickel-plated steel pan, and this may change in the near future when complete RTR cars will be issued.
Regards,

Dok Pea

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Edo,
the plastic part will only come on RTR cars and will be compatible and interchangeable with the steel part. One of the reasons is that our chassis is "illegal" in several parts of Europe because it is "metal" (which of course, it is not, only the body mount is). So to be able to compete in certain races, we have to adapt...
Regards,

Dok

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
If there were a TSRF with a "standard" engine (E17/NC2) and a light pan, then it could be a car to test.
But running a "heavy" car on wooden track and silicones is not even worth a basic try.

The choice that is open for this is today the HRS (even if perhaps not the RTR, due to a less than perfect choice of components...).

Vroom!
/Erik

1 - 10 of 10 Posts