SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I wonder if someone can help.

I am converting some Scalextric GT40's to digital and as part of the conversion am going to add working rear and brake lights.

I am trying to get together 6 out of the 13 GT40's that competed at Le Mans in 1966.

I am working on numbers 3, the Red MKII, 5 the Gold MkII and 59 the white and red striped Mk1.

The Red MKII has an amber light above a red on (surely they don't have indicators). The Gold MKII has two red lights in the same position, and the White MKI has a single larger red light.

So to the questions, Do Le Mans cars have brake lights? Is the difference in the two MKII's a Scalextric one or do they have separate Rear & Brake lights.

I know this is not that important but might as well get it right if I can.

Richard

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes they all had brakelights, and as modelled are fairly acurate. If you're adding brakelights and a digital chip to scaley Gt40's, good luck! Its ptobably easier to get the vicars daughters nickers off!!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, the digital board will not be too bad, although have not decided where to mount it yet. One of the good undocumented features is that they have provision for brake Led's, just need to wire them in.

Back to the MKII one has two red lights, one has an orange and a red. Assume the red lower one is a combined rear & brake light, and that one has orange indicators & the other red indicators?

The other suprise in looking more closely than before, is that they are all Right Hand Drive.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was under the impression that all Mk2's had both red and amber lenses, one for tail/stop lamps and the other for idicators. Maybe some more research is needed here.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes interesting, I will do a bit more research. Have had a look at my other 1966 MKII's.

Numbers 1 & 5 have two red lights.
Numbers 2 & 3 have red & orange.

Looks deliberate rather than an accident, I know some American cars have red indicators?

It suits me if the brake & stop are combined, less bits & less wiring. I will use the brake signal from the board to increase the brightness of the brake Led.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am sure that is the reason, had just for whatever reason assumed Ford = USA.

However have just dug out a book & I quote.

"Due to lack of any suitable engineering facility in America......

......as the standard of engineering in the UK was very high........"

And the rest is as they say History.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes you are right. Looking again to my book, GT40 by Ronnie Spain.

After failing to buy Ferrrari, they came to the UK wanting either Colin Chapman or Eric Broadly.

Chapman was preferred but Broadly was more easy going and prepared to give all his time.

So quoting again "In addition, the newest of his Lola cars..... was remarkably close to the design of car Ford hoped to produce"

Back to the rear lights, colour pictures of the rear of a GT40 MkII seem quite rare. However I have found pictures of the number 1 & 2 car both of which had 2 red rear lights.

The Scalextric no 1 has two reds but the number 2 has orange & red.

Has anyone got rear colour pictures of 1966 MKII's 3 to 8?

Richard

·
Registered
530 Posts
I am all for lights, and think your project will give you both a tremendous car, and great personal satisfaction. Congratulations.

However , you will then have cars that could conceivably be better than mine, and this cannot be allowed, because then my cars will no longer rule.

Glad to hear that the chip includes brake lights. I need them bad, man. I look at a car without brake lights, just tail lights, and am starting to see it as crude in comparison. It's so good to be spoiled.

Plus, just think, when you finish adding chips and rear lights to those little cars, you can use your newly honed talents to pick up a few bucks writing people's names on grains of rice.

·
Registered
511 Posts
QUOTE (RichG @ 2 Jun 2005, 15:27)Looks deliberate rather than an accident, I know some American cars have red indicators?<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, many older cars in the US have red indicators often combined into the stop lights and, amazingly, some new ones too, although these always seem to fall into the category of cars that old people buy.

Most American drivers never use their indicators anyway, or indicate left when they are turning right etc. so it makes little difference what colour they are.

Since we'll never be able to hook up indicators we can just pretend all our drivers are American! The way people drive on digital is just like they do on the freeways here anyway! Stoppping distance? We don't need no stinking stopping distance!

·
Registered
420 Posts
some thoughts.

1. Have visited Goodwood a few times and really enjoyed walking about and looking at the GT40:s. It was interesting to see that there were an amazing number of alternative setups of rear lights. Almost as if each car had an individual solution (some of which where quite ugly). I did not take pictures of them and also did not pay attention to which individual cars had what setup - but I did notice that quite a few of them did not look like any scalextric GT40 that I had (most of them).

2. Have just returned from Arizona. First thing that I noticed was that most people on where using the indicators for all kind of - appropriate - purposes and in good time. The driving style was also very relaxed and people did keep a reasonable distance when driving behind me. On the whole it was a very pleasant experience to drive in the US. Not at all like back home in Hampshire UK, where indicators obviously are not used except by accident! Additionally here in the UK people are accelerating as if fuel was for free and then driving 80 MpH on the motorway with large heavy fourwheeldrive vehicles. In Arizona where I was - and remember that fuel is much cheaper than in the UK - people accelerated in a relaxed fashion and also slowed down in good time - last moment panic braking was quite unusual.

3. As far as I know the 2005 Ford Mustang has mostly red rear lights. The Mustang is not an unusual car in Arizona, I was actually surprized to see them what seemed to be 'everywhere'. Not many of those that I did see where driven by old people...

just my own thoughts...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.