SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy would it be for someone with limited modelling skills, and zero soldering skills due to shaky hands, to convert a Scalextric car (example;- C2550 Impreza) to take a floating/sprung guide?

TIA
Stuart.

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
Why? Are you having intermittent contact problems?

Does the Impreza have the round Scaley guide? If so bend the rear braids so that they face the rear. Trim the front ones so just short of the rear. Then you should have only one thickness of braids. Even better is to replace the braid with Slot.It. I cut piece to length and in form of an 'L". Super glue it to the disc. mount it them bend the braid to the rear.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Hi mate.

This is what I do to most of my cars, bin the scaly braids & replace with slot it as they are much softer.

I'm fairly handy but I wouldn't try a sprung guide in a scaley car, unless I could copy another car. One other thing to maybe do is sand a bit off the front tyres so the guide is fully in the slot.

Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
you want to achieve full depth of scaley guide? as pjf sugested swap fronts onto rears and reduce dia on some 120 oxide paper this should do the trick. if theres no up and down float in the front axle mounts file them upwards to get the correct guide depth and glue little plastic strips under the axle to stop any rock. with this method you might have to shorten the axle a tad to allow some body rock without the tyres touchin the top of the arches.john.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Thanks for the input, but I didn't explain properly, did I?

My rally track has a couple of points where the braids lose contact with the rails. This is only a problem with the few cars I have that have fixed guides. The likes of SCX cars don't have the problem because their guides will drop far enough for the braids to stay in contact.

I know I could address the issue by reducing the dips in the track, but in the 1:1 rally world they don't alter tracks to suit cars, they do it the other way 'round so I thought I'd try to as well. I suppose I could always replace most the offending cars with SCX equivilents, but they haven't made some of them (2-door Impreza, for example).......

VBR
Stuart.

·
Johnny Fuglestad
417 Posts
C-8420 is Scalextric own spung guide. easy

For 4WD Rally Cars.

The Sport + range of spares provides everything you need to fine tune a Scalextric car to get the maximum performance from it on the track.

Sprung, round guide blade. For use as an upgrade or replacement part on cars fitted with the normal round guide blade system. The addition of a spring allows the guide blade to stay in contact with the track rail to help supply a constant electrical feed and thus keep the motor at the control of your finger-tips.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Have you experimented with front end weight in those cars.

"Blu-tac" is useful for quickly changing the position and amount of weight, then you can replicate it in lead of the same weight when you're done . . . or be like me, lazy, and leave the blu-tac in place....

·
Rich Dumas
3,669 Posts
We run without magnets and I have never been a fan of spring loaded guides because they can cause the front of the car to lift on acceleration. If you use pickup braid that has a little spring you should be able to adjust things to get good contact everywhere. I have noticed that sometimes Scalextric Sport track has the rails slightly below the surface of the track, in that case you have to take special pains with the braid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts