SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have broken 3 in the last week? how I dont know.
I know Alfa broke one on sunday, and slot it have been bloody fantastic as always for helping him.

has anyone else been having a crap week or month or even day for breaking guide posts?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Inter, here's a little trick I use with the Parma "Blade" guide flags on my commercial track cars.

The Parma guides have a 1/16-inch nominal hole molded into the guide post, though it stops at the bottom of the threads. Using my drill press and a setup block to support the guide, I drill the hole deeper, roughly 1/3 of the way into the flag blade itself and then insert a short piece of .062 piano wire. Sometimes the drill wanders a bit causing a raised "welt" on one side of the blade, but this doesn't seem to cause any problems on the commercial tracks.

I used to use a drop of CA to retain the piano wire pin, but have found this to be unecessary.

Needless to say, I don't break guide posts anymore.

Whether this trick can be used on every brand of guide flag, I cannot say for certain. I have "pinned" other guides that don't have a molded hole in the post like the Parma guides, but it does take a bit of care to drill a hole centered in the post and the blade of the guide obviously must be wider than the piano wire used for the reinforcement. There's no reason one couldn't use wire smaller than .062.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have broken many chassis at the guide post, and I believe it's a weak point of many models ( Proslot Toyota to name one ); I have tried to reinforce the hole with brass tubing, first of all to gain a smooth vibration free movement : but so doing I have spoiled two Fly Porsche evo 2 chassis last saturday in my lab with the Dremel
! To break a model on the track is hard, but demolish one that has never seen the track is worse

Ciao

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Maybe young Grasshopper learn to use english language properly. Hole is very different to post
Broken hole very much harder to fix than broken post

One more thing, broken hole much expense, broken post much cheapness.

Mark.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
What's up with all the accents diff?

I had a bad month or two at RC. I broke at least two wishbones every meeting.
Not because of bad driving, well kind off. I just have the knack of hitting it at the right angle... and my complete inability to perform a clean overtaking manouvre... Still, at least they only cost 45p each and take about a minute to swap over
, but only when you've done it about 50 times...

Lotus

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Sorry lotus, it's just the Grasshopper thing (Kung Fu the series etc.) I once gae someone a bad R/C race night once. I'd just got my Tamiya Manta Ray onto the main straight and opened it up when another racer lost it on the adjoining straight. His buggy came over the upturned guttering we used as track boundaries and went head on into the Manta Ray
I forget what the other buggy was - it may have been some kind of Team Associated, or a Losi, but it had graphite composite wishbones. The Manta Ray ripped one in half! The Manta Ray suffered, but not as expensively. The impact split the screw holes in the chassis where the front diff was mounted and popped a driveshaft out. Two packing washers and some glue later and I was in the next heat, the other chap was marshalling the rest of the event
Money can't buy everything (but it helps I suppose!)

Mark.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts