SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just curious but if another company introduced the entire range of Vanquish MG slots, but in 1:32 scale and with standard running gear (no differential) would you buy them, or would a company offering this product range be wasting their time attempting to offer something that Vanquish MG has already offered in a slightly larger than scale form with a differential?

Moped

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
I would surely have not resisted as long as I did. I've got the one Shadow and much as I would like this Mirage I'll not be tempted again.

They could have had pots of money off of me. As it is...

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I'm curious about whether I have any rights to complain under the trades description act.... My McLaren kit plainly says '1/32nd scale' on the box. I'm highly brassed off with these out of scale cars. What about the Racer P4s, too? It certainly makes it very risky for a decent manufacturer to offer correct versions of cars like this, when Vanquish MG have muddied the waters already. I'll certainly never buy another of their products.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE I'm curious about whether I have any rights to complain under the trades description act
I think you would have a very reasonable case in UK and I would love to see this tested.
I would think the first step would be an enquiry to your local trading standards officer.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I agree true 1:32 would have been better, and based on the first 2 Lola's I had written off VMG (the Lola looked REEEEAAALLLY BIG, the driver was sitting on a 2' cushon and the original diff was getting bashed on the boards and rightfully so).

However, the high wing Bruce McLaren M8B and the black Shadow really caught my eye so I took a flyer on this pair.

Without the magnet on my Ninco track I find these cars a real pleassure to drive. The don't look out of proportion racing each other (especially now that I have shifted to 4 lane). They have a good drivers "feel" and tend to stay slotted longer (probably a wheel base dimension benefit).

I give them a thumbs UP!

They are by far the best running, best looking, most comprehsive collection of 1:28 scale CAN-AM slot cars available today!

While not the biggest CAN-AM fan, some of the cars are cool, so based on my experience VMG will have exclusive rights to the CAN-AM category in my house.

I need to add two more to get to a full four set of one series. This might creep to 6 with the deals I ought to be able to find given this boards poor opinion of the make.

My eye is on the Castrol BRM and the Roman Brio Lola but I need to see these in person before I leap. The Oscar Kovaleski M8D was a big dissapointment with the Salmon pink appearance and ill fitting rear spoiler so it went from wanted to banned!

Cheers, Ken R

·
Registered
168 Posts
The Vanquish cars are pretty amazing detail-wise, but I have not bought any due primarily to the off-scale issue. Would I buy the same cars if produced in proper 1/32 scale by another manufacturer? Maybe, but the later CanAm cars don't do much for me aesthetically -- generally too fat and wedge-shaped for my taste. I don't understand why someone (Fly, for example) doesn't bring out a line of CanAm cars representing the earlier years, i.e., pre-1970. There would be a ton of liveries possible with T-70s, early McLarens, and even the occasional 908. I think this would be a natural fit in their classic line and would sell well.

mp

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I have thought about `shrinking' them. On the M8 Mclaren there are enough handy panel lines to saw down and remove material. You just have to rejoin and apply bodyputty. The only thing that stops me doing this is the windscreen. But maybe you could steal one from a vac-form model? I'm on the verge of trying this, cos I'm so keen to have a Can-Am McLaren to race, but does anyone have any dire warnings or advice before I begin?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts