SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

thought I would share a work in progress with you - this is the Gunston Ferrari 350 Can Am as Driven by John Love and the Australian Paul Hawkins (where are they now?) - in the Kyalami 9 Hours in 68..........

It is a John Bacon Body that needed a tremendous amount of work to use . It uses a shortened Fly chassis, with standard Fly Running gear (a requirement in the class rules). I will be using it in next weeks Slot Festival being held over the whole of next week here in South Africa.

Since this pic, have added Fly petrol caps, rear brass exhausts and Mirrors will go on tonight

Also added another pic with My version of the protoslot kit, and the first one of these Ferrari's I built from a Pattos body.....

decals were specially made for me by Al Patterson -- http://www.slotcars.co.za/- if you want to contact him for specific items....

will add final pics with My Saleen and DTM Merc tomorrow that I will be racing.

Anthony

My Webpage

·
Registered
85 Posts
Lovely job on your car.

Pity about Mr Paterson's attitude towards other hobbyists and his "inside" secrets.

This from his websit's little blurb about "custom decals".

http://www.slotcars.co.za/scratch/decals/decals.htm

QUOTE Once I have all the images for the car done, which usually takes about 6 to 8 hours, depending on the car, I then print this out of Imported White, waterslide Decal Paper, bought from a Company in the States. No I won't tell you which Company I use.

To any South African slot car enthusiasts blank decal paper (of various types and makes) is one of the easiest supplies to source here in the USA - and at $5.00 a sheet retail, is not that expensive.

And as an ex-pat South African living in texas - I can vouch for the fact that not all Sef Efrikuns are this "stingy"..

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
RC45 - agreed, we're not all like that. Perhaps we should just neglect to tell him that sheets of clear decal paper are also available?

How long have you been in the US? I've been in SoCal 6 years now.

Dennis

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Anthony - a pretty version of a classically pretty car - well done.

Do you happen to have any .jpg or .gif images of the Gunston cannon logo? I want to make some decals for another pretty car in that livery:

Have fun at the Festival. Sounds like a good motivation for a visit to SA some time

·
Registered
85 Posts
QUOTE (gascarnut @ 7 Jul 2004, 18:51)RC45 - agreed, we're not all like that. Perhaps we should just neglect to tell him that sheets of clear decal paper are also available?

How long have you been in the US? I've been in SoCal 6 years now.

Dennis
Been here 9 years. And having a ball

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
A lovely conversion Anthony, I'm sure Russell will have something to say about the car.
John Love is still around but Paul Hawkins died a fair number of years back, I think.

David

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
David: you are correct about Paul Hawkins,he is dead. He was inducted into the local Motor Sport hall of fame last year. He started racing here in Tassie!

As for the Decal solutions it is probably the Testor paper and sealer that he is using.

http://www.testors.com/default.asp I am not sure of the original company that supplies Testor but they do have a web site, easy to find!

Phil

·
John Roche
4,236 Posts
If I remember correctly, paul Hawkins died at Oulton Park in the late 60's or early 70's when his car caught fire. I think it was a Lola T70mk3b possibly in the Gold Cup.

I've still got his autograph.

John

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Hi guys,

Russell, many thanks for your kind comments, coming from you, it is MOST appreciated ...

As for my so called "ex-pats"... mmm

When one is un-employed, and has spent a small fortune financially, and hundreds of personal man-hours to reproduce small, customized services for close friends and other enthusiasts in our hobby to help them further, or to produce something that's rare and a piece of art like Ant's Gunston Ferrari for example, then one is naturally resilliant to disclosing the entire step by step process, including materials used and where they are sourced from.

But, let me not project this apparent "stingy" attitude that you all are so quick to label me with. Knock yourselves out boys.

http://www.beldecal.com/

And, by the way, having done this kind of stuff for over four years now, I'm very aware of the fact there is "clear paper" in the market place.. I'd LOVE to be a fly on a wall when you perhaps attempt to create some decals yourselves on your Deskjet or Laser printer with clear paper.

PPS: @ $5.00 per sheet, and doing the usual good old exchange rate thing, plus postage and packaging thing, who else out there would be jumping with glee to pay R 60-00 per sheet.. Yip, life is sweet in good old "souf efrika".

Ant, solid job, car looks awesome. For anyone else interested in the "Springbok" series, check out the collection of cars on Ant's Website, and the photos of those 'good 'ol days...

http://www.theslotcar.com

Best Regards

Alan "Big Al" Paterson
http://www.slotcars.co.za

·
Registered
85 Posts
*shrug*

I have routinely made my own decals with clear and white stock with my inkjet printer. Just depends on the inks colours and body colour you are applying decals to.

No big secret really. If your process is that customized, write a book.

Sorry if I called it like I saw it, but your website was the one stating "don't ask cause I won't tell".

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Russell,

Thanks for the logo - taken direct off the pack I see! (but not your brand, so how you manage these things is beyond me!) I can use that to create my own artwork, thanks. I'm really starting to think seriously about either a Springbok series collection or a Team Gunston collection - either would be a lot of fun to make, and will result in lots of unique liveries. Remember the Wall's icecream Lola that Doug Serrurier ran, with the "Stop me and buy one" logo on the rear spoiler? (as opposed to the Durex F1 slogan "buy me and stop one").

Al, I think all "ex-pats" feel for you guys in SA that are struggling to make ends meet. My brother has not been able to get permanent employment for more than 4 years now, and everyone is trying to do their own thing, so I hope you can make something from a great talent. After all the paper and the printer mean nothing without the knowledge and artistic ability that is the real content of the product. Have you tried Supercal for paper and supplies? It's good stuff and not that expensive either. BTW, nice website - good to see somewhere that the SAMCA activities are covered. Takes me back a bit. I see a lot of really old names creeping back into the scene... Say Hi to Jock D and Billy Heath for me next time you see them.

Clear decals just take a bit of planning. This car's decals are all on clear decal paper, with a base white paint on the body. I guess it helps to put all the color onto the decal:

Dennis

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Hi Dennis,
many thanks for the support and kind words.
As for Supercal, Yip, they were my first supply Company, however I found the paper a little too thin, and it "marked" easily when dunking in water. I find the Bel Decal Paper much stronger, and has an easier finish to it.
The Supercal Last Step Spray however has become a major problem though, purely because since 9/11, the Companies in USA are bound by new FAA regulations and can not ship the product via air cargo any longer, so, between myself and Ant, we're almost fresh out, and no one here has anything remotely similar we can use.. So, if you have any ideas, or would entertain maybe shipping some over to us, we'd really appreciate it..

The Porsche is AWESOME, and, considering it's done on clear, a stirling job Dennis, my hat off to you..

Keep up the excellent work all

Regards

Al

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Al, send me your mailing address and I'll see what I can do - I have some stuff I need to send out to my brother anyway.

Thanks for the compliments on the 956 - it was a lot of fun making it , hours and hours of Photoshopping from old scanned images!

More photos at my photo site.

Dennis

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Dennis

I remember the Serrurier Wall's Ice Cream car well.

It came to a sticky end though, when it was melted by a fire!

Here's the other picture you were looking for:

Love wedging his Surtees into the Armco at Kyalami.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All,

Thanks for all the compliments - much appreciated....

as promised updated pics - although I see Al has updated my site (he runs it superbly for me - btw) and 1 of the above pic links moved.....

also a Pic of a Fly racing Saleen I will racing in the GT class next week - normally plain yellow updated with decals as per the Walter Lechner car from the 2003 FIA Gt Season - decals made, applied and Painted Al Patterson....... superb - thanks Al

Will take pics next week at the Slot Festival and will post them (specially for you few RSAsian's out there)
- when I get back......

by the way Al - that is the Walls Lola I wanted to do!!!!

Dennis - superb work..... as usual _ I can remember all those chassis you gave us at HB - they were outstanding - wish I still had a few of them.....

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Anthony,

I had forgotten all about HB till you mentioned that - now we are going waaaaaay back! Were you there the day someone set his pits and part of his arm on fire during an enduro? Forget who it was now, could have been you, come to think of it!

That box of old cars was years and years of experimentation, some successful, some not. I often think about all the hours that were in those boxes and wish I had kept a lot of that stuff. As I remember, there was quite a lot of old 1/24 raceway stuuf as well, all given to me by Bob Reid, who used to race at Pix Raceways in the '60's and then moved into RC racing.

Russell, thanks for the photo's - the T70 would make a nice subject. Do you know of a nice vac-form version that's readily available?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts