SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Took out my recently bought M3GTR "Yellow Corn A287) for some quick laps at the track.
After about 15 laps it started to make these funny transmission noises that we've discussed before. But since I've carved out a big piece of the interior and the axel is glued, it shouldn't be a problem...right???
WRONG. The Pinion has moved itself just a little bit towards the enging, causing some pretty bad damaging on the crownwheel... it's completely "toothless" now.

Has this happened to some others???

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Yup, in seven laps I've seen the mighty M3 fall...

Seriously, the dealer took it out to show everyone how good it was and started running it round.

It went great for 4 laps, started making noises at the end of the fifth and was absolutly dead at the end of the seventh... good going Fly!

Apparently, the contrates are just carppy, but I think the fast motor and strong magnet may be something to do with it.

Lotus

·
Registered
514 Posts
Never had it happen to a M3, since I don't have any of those (not yet anyway...).

But my recently acquired Fly Lola B98 did have a bad crown on arrival. I checked the car before testing it, and one of the teeth is noticeably shorter than the others...
This would have bothered me more if I hadn't decided to upgrade to Slot It parts before receiving the car. Still not very impressed with the quality though...

And for some strange reason I want the opportunity to revert the car to original, so I've ordered a replacement axle assembly

·
Registered
164 Posts
After my recent (and very positive) experience with slot.it replacement bits, I'd be inclined to substitute a slot.it kit for the entire rear axle on any FLY car I might buy in the future.

Trouble is I'm disinclined to purchase any more FLY products until they do something about the fragile area around the guide mount. Or do I just play too rough for FLY to handle it?

Having to substitute/replace any part makes the FLY car even more expensive and therfore hard to justify. At the risk of opening up another round of FLY bashing, I just don't see why these things can't be fixed with a little quality control.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
There may be a little bit of quality control creeping in. Before a certain person left this forum, he'd got the MD of FLY coming over to look at the sloppy rear axle issue on the 917 (fixed with a couple of spacers). Now, I assume that a managing director would certainly listen to proposals if he'd travelled all that way. He wouldn't have come to the UK for good weather or to improve his health! Now, when we, the customers, will actually see cars turning up with such modifications I have no idea, but it seems to be encouraging news!

Mark.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE At the risk of opening up another round of FLY bashing
Most so-called 'bashing', regardless of the subject, actually is NOT.
Reporting of factual problems is most definitely NOT bashing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Tropi,

I know that and you know that but others seem a mite touchy on the subject of FLY quality.

Funny thing is that it was the FLY classic's that got me hooked (2nd time around) but now I find I get more enjoyment out of my Scalex and SCX cars.

Oh, and why do FLY tyres go hard and oily at the same time?

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
317 Posts
Is the quality control/build quality a problem across the fly range? I really like the look of the ford Capris' they produce, but I dont think I want to invest my hard earned cash in a car that is riddled with problems from the word go!

Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK then.
What do I need to get it going with Slot.it parts??? Having some problems to sort out various parts, since there are no pictures on Pendle...

What kind of axle do I need??
bearings??
Pinions and crownwheel for inline...is that all I need???
What is this Pro Axle starter kit???

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Mecoprop @ 20 Apr 2004, 11:56)A good place to start is with a trip to Slot.it
thanx.

gonna check it out today and put in an order next week.

The BMW is up and running again, thanx to some Scalextric crownwheel and axles.

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
QUOTE (Catman @ 20 Apr 2004, 11:22)OK then.
What do I need to get it going with Slot.it parts??? Having some problems to sort out various parts, since there are no pictures on Pendle...

What kind of axle do I need??
bearings??
Pinions and crownwheel for inline...is that all I need???
What is this Pro Axle starter kit???
Catman,

the Slot.It starter kit is:

1 straight (yehey
) axle, you will have to cut to fit
2 bearings
2 alu wheels with set screws
2 inserts
1 contrate (the sets I've seen all had 28 T contrates in them)

Note that there are starter sets for inline and sidewinders, the sidewinder sets are different for scaley and for proslot as the latter has different bearings and spur

Fly axle will not fit the contrate or bearings due to different diameter of axles...

Best of luck!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Remember that you'll need an 0.9mm Allen Key for the grup screws if you don't have one already. It's not included in the starter kits.
Slot It has one, ref SIPA06.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Firstly Catman, I don't think you are 'Fly Bashing'. You have a valid reason for complaint, but to use as a sub header for this topic:-

"Fly sure has some problems"

immediately changes your credibility (with whichever manufacturer you are referring to, and it could be any of them) from 'guy with a real problem' to 'guy whinging', and the foreign manufacturers will just switch off - this is not my view, it is just the way things work in the real world.

However, lets deal with the problem in hand. There were approximately 8000 units made of the model you are referring to; 1000 units were sold in the UK, and I have 3 units awaiting repair. Now in my book that is a pretty good percentage as far as returns go. However, if you bought a new unit and within a very short space of time the axle broke, then contact your dealer or me and we will deal with the problem for you. If we don't know, we cannot help and just stating it on the forum is as good as telling your goldfish - the results are the same anyhow.

I doubt you wanted to buy a set of slot.it parts to go with your Fly car when you first purchased it, so why do so now? If you want a new axle because yours has failed after a short time then email me with the problem and I will send you a new one. Effective communications and constructive criticisms are the only ways to get problems like this sorted.

In June, I have the Managing Director and Sales Manager coming to the UK from Fly, and I will be making a number of presentations to him concerning problems that are occurring with their models. We have already made progress with the Porsche 917, and I have others too that I want to get looked at, so if you send me the details of exactly what went wrong, how long you raced for, what sort of track etc then I can present these details too.

Also in this thread I notice that there are points made about guide mounting points and Lola rear axles - why have neither of you contacted me? I don't say this for the good of my health, nor do I say it because I am some sort of masochist who likes getting grief from slot car owners. (In fact, there are times when I am not sure WHY I do it!) I would be interested to know what mountings you have had problems with Sidecar Steve, and if you need another axle Lotus then email me.

If you are just looking for an excuse to moan about Fly, then I am not interested - Fly bashing is for children.

If you want something positive done, or at least attempted (I don't own Fly after all) then email me and I will do what I can.

Aaron

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
QUOTE "Fly sure has some problems"

immediately changes your credibility (with whichever manufacturer you are referring to, and it could be any of them) from 'guy with a real problem' to 'guy whinging', and the foreign manufacturers will just switch off - this is not my view, it is just the way things work in the real world.

Aaron, I believe that this is your personal view. And is it always necessary to launch into a personal attack on everybody who has anything which you perceive to be negative comment about Fly?

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
549 Posts
believe what you like, I repeat:

QUOTE it is just the way things work in the real world.

I deal with slot car manufacturers every day, and have indeed tried to get them to take SF seriously and this is the feedback I am getting because of comments like these.

QUOTE And is it always necessary to launch into a personal attack on everybody who has anything which you perceive to be negative comment about Fly?

I am not launching a personal attack Russell - read what I have written properly and you will see that the points I am trying to make concerning communication etc refer to everyone - except those who just want an excuse to moan. I will happily admit that Fly have a number of issues that need sorting, I am just trying to get them sorted - I could be wrong here, but is that not what you want?

At the end of the day anyone can accept my help or not - it is up to them, just don't come crying when you get a problem which could have been avoided and possibly solved IF we had worked together.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
5,558 Posts
Okay,

Everybody take a step away from their keyboards, walk around, have a breather.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I don`t think Aaron has made a personal attack. He has a proven track record of helping SF members so can we try not to balls it up again guys and give the guy a chance.

It`s got to be better to deal with specific points and then that way GC will have the credibility to refer back to Fly and get problems sorted.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts