SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Greg Gaub
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people wanted this. I've included the SVG I got from converting an image, along with the image I used, the STL file that's designed for color change every 04.mm above 1mm, and a 3mf file for Prusa Slicer that shows how it would be done.

Kevs Racing Bits
Thanks Greg, my immediate thought returned to the control tower file some of us have so I used the same .svg image you used to create a different version that will fit in the slot on top of the tower.

stl files aren't allowed to be uploaded on this forum but can be downloaded on slotracer or pm me.

Flowerpot Gesture Art Line Houseplant

Vertebrate Organ Orange Mammal Gesture

Registered
Thanks Greg, my immediate thought returned to the control tower file some of us have so I used the same .svg image you used to create a different version that will fit in the slot on top of the tower.

stl files aren't allowed to be uploaded on this forum but can be downloaded on slotracer or pm me.

View attachment 293624

View attachment 293625
Nice job mate, that was fast that actually you make it look easy馃憤馃徏
Cheers

Registered
Some people wanted this. I've included the SVG I got from converting an image, along with the image I used, the STL file that's designed for color change every 04.mm above 1mm, and a 3mf file for Prusa Slicer that shows how it would be done.

Here the 鈥淗appy鈥 in its three stages, fresh from the printer, primed and finished, great file!

Grey Road surface Wood Tints and shades Font
Trousers Outerwear Hood Jersey Sleeve
Cartoon Gesture Art Asphalt Water

Premium Member
my immediate thought returned to the control tower file some of us have
Just finished the control tower...not sure if my painting skills are up to creating "Happy"...and the firmware in my printer won't allow me to do filament changes mid-print...yet :rolleyes:

Building Light Infrastructure Architecture Transport hub

Building Window Clock Urban design City

Greg Gaub
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great job on the tower!

For some printers, you may need to trigger a pause (M601, I think) and then manually change the filament, but I guarantee it can be done. You don't need a fancy machine like mine to do it, as this technique has been used for years with much simpler printers.

Premium Member
Great job on the tower!

For some printers, you may need to trigger a pause (M601, I think) and then manually change the filament, but I guarantee it can be done. You don't need a fancy machine like mine to do it, as this technique has been used for years with much simpler printers.
I'm using an Ender 3 V2, and 95% of the time the Prusa Slicer, Prusa lets me do the colour change, but the printer doesn't recognise the commands...I have tried to pause a print in the past, but from what I can remember it didn't end well...maybe I'll revisit that avenue. A friend has just redone the firmware on his Ender 7 and can change colours at will, hence my thinking along those lines.

Greg Gaub
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I don't think the stock Ender firmware supports M600 (filament change), but I think it supports pause (M601). You can add a pause in Prusa Slicer, rather than a color change, in the same tool. In the olden days, people would scan through the gcode and manually edit in the M601 commands... or just watch their printer for the layer change and pause manually. ;-)

I'm sure it can be done without much fuss, but you'd need to seek help from other ender users, such as on a Creality Ender farcebook group or online forum/reddit/discord, and I'm sure someone could point you in the right direction... heck, there's probably 100 videos on YouTube about it, specifically for Ender 3 printers. ;-)

Premium Member
heck, there's probably 100 videos on YouTube about it, specifically for Ender 3 printers. ;-)
Funny you should mention YT, just been there and had a look...apparently the Cura slicer will do a filiment change, so I've just created a GCODE file in Cura, I'll run tomorrow to see if it works or not ;)

Reactions: MrFlippant

Premium Member
I run an Ender 3v2. I never had luck with filament changes until I switched to Jyers firmware, which was simple, and offers a handful of nice improvements.
Watched a YT vid on the Jyers FW earlier today and it's on my list of things to do tomorrow ;)

Reactions: david950

Premium Member
Watched a YT vid on the Jyers FW earlier today and it's on my list of things to do tomorrow
Finally got round to doing this yesterday (been printing Greg's flat kerbs for days now)...it was very easy to install, and I can now do filament changes mid print (y)

Road surface Motor vehicle Font Asphalt Circle

Premium Member
That looks great! Did you use an ironing feature? It looks as if the ironing was not applied to that area, which I've seen from time to time using PrusaSlicer.
No I didn't...something went screwy just after the second colour change...but no big deal, this is his new abode...

Shelving Publication Shelf Shipping box Audio equipment

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.