SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I think they should be made into a class to race think they be great. Tbh I would like to be able to have 2 class options in the morning so can either race OW or Hard Body Wizzard as not a fan of Open Wheel myself.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
You can use the body in Mod and Pro-Mod on Sunday. In fact I will probably bring in a TSMSRC and make it so Andy Player has to use one

As for OW, the idea is to have one class where you face everyone.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Why don't you enjoy Open Wheel Lee? Is it linked to the problems you've been having setting up your Mega Gs? I thought you'd switched to Tycos for OW because they suited your driving style more?

I love OW personally. It's the only chance during the day when you compete with everyone else there and with it being a stock class (in terms of the Mega G anyway), it really shows who has either got good driving skill or good set up skills.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I've done that and yes, it did help me get higher up the grid but I was still having to drive the car and compete against everyone to get my results so I don't think that is a bad thing.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think it's a good thing but that's just my opinion, but to suggest that open wheel is any more of a level playing field than the afternoon classes is rubbish, the afternoon classes are just as even as everyone has to work to the same rules within their class, the only difference is that everyone in the morning is in the same class, perhaps we should have one class for the afternoon - Pro Mod?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
90% or more of the drivers in OW use a Mega G which is close to making it a single make class. The other classes are a lot more open in terms of what is raced....except LMP1 obviously!
There is typically a favoured chassis in most of the other classes but you can still show up with an oddball choice and go well. For example Diesel getting pole with his Artin in Mod.

And my point wasn't that OW was a level playing field. It was that you are competing against everyone in the meeting which is good. The fastest and or the most consistent drivers are still going to be up at the sharp end of the grid regardless.

Incidentally and off topic, Andy's not had a chance to pass those bodies to me as yet but he did tell me they were just bodies so could I have my two chassis back?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
QUOTE (LeeH @ 28 Jun 2012, 08:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tbh I would like to be able to have 2 class options in the morning so can either race OW or Hard Body Wizzard as not a fan of Open Wheel myself.

Unless you could find a way to fit an open wheel body to the WHO platform that would mean closed wheel and open wheel cars racing together. You have tried it, and it just looks plain weird. It won't be something you will see at Nationals any time soon.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course you can have your chassis back, I wasn't expecting them anyway - I think they're still in my race box, I'll give them to you or Andy at the 6 hour.

My opinions on EAHORC are a bit irrelevant as I don't do that many meetings and definitely don't take it seriously enough to put much effort into car prep, I put far more effort into my 1:32 rally cars (and spend a lot more on them), but I still enjoy the meetings and it's quite nice not caring too much about my results, I'd like Mod and Pro-Mod to be differentiated by armature resistance rather than the by whether it's a "toy" chassis or a "hobby" chassis, and that was the reason for starting this thread.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I think there is room for all kinds of approaches to the EAHORC races, I (and others) have worked hard to make it so.

But there is no doubt it is hard to do well, and that is how it should be. The number of guys who can get it hooked up on any given day keeps growing, and that is...awesome&#153;

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You right Gareth probably alot down to Mega G as Tyco just cant handle pace maybe get it sorted for new season, maybe :-/

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Thanks Julian, I thought we were doing car swaps but body swaps makes way more sense!

On topic with the Wizzard chassis, I do like your suggestion of Mod/Pro Mod being differentiated by armature but I expect it would require a massive change in the rules and the very definition of the classes.

Lets add an Unlimited class while we're at it!

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 28 Jun 2012, 13:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Or who pays to have their car setup for them.
This hasn't been a bugbear at Eahorc this year Julian.

Looking at the winning driver stats from the past two seasons - out of 19 winners, only two have been using 'customer' cars.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - when you start off in HO I think it is really helpful to run a car that has either been built by an experienced racer or built to their suggestions and then checked over. That means you know you've got a decent car and can then concentrate on driving it well.

Otherwise you don't know if a bad performance is a bad car or a ropey driver and that really doesn't help anyone get better

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
TBH Andy it was an "off the cuff" remark and shouldn't be taken too seriously, in 1:1 Motor Sport competitors can buy a prepared race car, so why should it be a problem in slot car racing?

For me slot cars are just a bit of fun and I don't want to take racing them too seriously, so I'll continue to use the same Parma 45 ohm controller for everything and race the slot cars I enjoy rather than the most competitive. I took it all far too seriously a couple of years ago and stopped enjoying it, though this is part of my character as I did the same with racing dirt bikes about 10 years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts