SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have recently made numerous purchases of Ebay of older Scalextric Ferrari F40's, Diablo's & Jag XJ220's. For some reason I absolutely love them but many of them have arrived "as excellent or mint" with very hard (not solid) tyres on the rear. I can purchase new ones readily enough but now have a pile of tyres that I either dispose of or try to soften in some way..

So my question is simple, can tyres be softened and how?

Your advice will be appreciated.

Mark

·
Stuart Wood
352 Posts
A light wipe with a WD40 soaked cloth will temporarily soften tyres - worth a try - this is also good for adding grip to plastic track... the WD40 will be slippery at first but as it dries leaves a tacky finish. There are also some tyre softenening fluids available, try Pendle Slot.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
you can soften them, but it doesnt do a lot for grip levels!!!!. heres how. spin the back tyre on 80 grade oxide paper till the surface skin has gone and there a smooth dull black all across the surface. get a small air tight plastic bottle. the ones that asprin or tablets from a phamacy come in[ the large top! ones]. mix 3in1 or any mineral oil 50-50 with acetone. this will disolve the oil in the acetone. pop your tyres in this mix and leave for 2 hours. take them out and reclose the bottle, youve now got oversize floppy tyres, leave over night in a well ventilated place and the acetone in the tyres will evapourate leaving the tyres loaded with oil and shrunk back to the right size. voilla! soft tyres. this will work with new rubber tyres with amazing results, useing a slightley different method put the tyres on ally rims and lay the bottle horizontal, now put the assembly into the see through bottle and add enough mix to come half way up the tyres, or less! revolve the bottle for 2 hour and the tyres will pick up a lot of oil,take out and dry as before. glue and true to rims and you have sure sticky rubbers for race night. word of caution, make sure you do all of this in a well ventilated space. john.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Thanks for another brilliant tip John. We are going to have to call you The Tip Wizard ..........and before any one else get's it in ...... NO SMOKING .......

·
Registered
72 Posts
I found that spraying mr sheen (polish) on the tyres makes them very sliddy for a while but after a few laps, even bad tyres find lots of grip. However the grip wears off after a while but the tyres stay a little softer.

Thanks

Tom

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Hi Mark,

Being the son of a farmer I came to think of an alternative method when I did some work on my father-in-law's ancient Scaley cars last year. Now and then, the rubber teats (nipples) for calf feeding bottles needed restoring and this was done in a five per cent 'finger warm' (approx 37 celcius) lye solution. The rubber was immersed for a couple of days, the solution was changed daily.

It worked with the old tyres too, but the process took me a week. Remember rubber gloves when removing the thin caustic soda crust that will form on the rubber under running water. I then sanded/trued the tyres, which had become pliable and (more) soft again.

Br,
Christian

·
Registered
627 Posts
mineral oil...not a problem. acetone though...not had any for years , since doing some grp laminating ages ago. any suitable"off the garage shelf" substitutes , or do i need to do the 30mile round trip to my local supplier to try and blag a jar-full?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
OR.........
Get the new tyres, collect all the "hard" ones and list on a popular auction site as a "Tyrewall", they always seem to go for good money. The above suggestions will take loads of time, unless of course you're unemployed/retired, in which case your time to all intents an purposes is free.

I'd rather be racing than rubbing oil into hard tyres

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys,

I thought there might be some miracle solution I could leave them in, dry them out and away I go but not without putting in some time and effort to it!
Looks like I will have plenty of tyrewalls for the kids to make.

Many thanks for the replies.

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts