Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Hello all,

I am the proud owner of a brand spanking new MRSLOTCAR.CA Mazda 787B test car.

I have tried to find out a bit about the MRSLOTCAR.CA in line motor but to no avail. The detailed spec sheet download button on the website doesn't work and all I can find out is that it is a 22,000rpm motor but nothing on power rating.

I would like to know whether I can get away with using a Hornby in-car chip or whether the motor will blow this in which case I need to invest in a Slot.It SSD chip.

I'm not sure how to find out and can't find anything to help me on the MRSLOTCAR.CA website.

I have Hornby chips to spare so don't want to blow more cash on a Slot.It chip if it's not needed.

Thank you

Richard

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi, I was just searching through Goggle looking for some info on the MRSLOT Mazda, the same Car you have just purchased, and I also have one on order!, and I came across this Post from yourself, its funny because I asked a very similar question a few days ago, only on the AusSlot.Forum, I have had no replies yet - let alone any readers of the question. Seems like no one interested or has an answer. I was trying to find out what chip will fit, either a Slot.it or Scalextric, of course as you mention it also depends if the Scalextric chip can handle the Motor. But I did find out something very interesting and that was that Scalextric have been given the go ahead to make a special digital chip to fit the MRSLOT Mazda. That is all I read about it, that one little paragraph on the subject, and have not heard or read anything else back this up, I mean as to if they are really going to go ahead with making a digital chip specially to fit this Car. I know the Mazda's motor is about on the limit of what Scalextric chip can handle, so I would say go for the Slot.it if it will fit in the Car. I'm not an expert by any means on this, some people I have heard use a Slot.it Orange motor with a Scaley chip and have no problems with blowing the Chips, I think the Scaley chip will work but how long it would last - I really don't know. If you only have a Scaley chip spare that you don't mind using and running the risk of it blowing - give it a go. If you have neither buy a Slot.it, providing it can fit in the Car. Or try and find out more about what I mentioned here: I'll leave you with the link to where I read this info, Post #33, No6.
http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/portal/f...8606&page=3. Hope this help?.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ernie replied to the post on the Auslot Forum today with- 'I know of at least 7-8 people that have used the Scalex F1 chip with no problems.Their cars were in stock configuration with the traction magnet. We still have no firm release date for our own chip'.His words, hope this helps.

Matt

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone.

Ernie hasn't replied to my email yet for some reason.

Anyway - thanks for the answers, very kind of you all - I have an F1 chip that I will now fit

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ernie Mosetti - the designer of the car - emailed me this photo of how to chip the car with a Hornby F1 in-car chip.

What great service! (And what a great car)

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
When you come to do yours, it will be worthwhile keeping the "Ferrite man" attached; it comes with the chip. Roughly were the red heatshrink is will be fine and not too difficult to do. If you have another one lurking in a spares box then fix that across the motor terminals as well for a top job.

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Greg,

I have some spare ferrite men so I will add them in - thanks for the advice.

I may try to find somewhere else to place the chip because Ernie seems to have cut away part of a chassis member to fit the chip into that spot - not sure I like that idea as the chassis member was probably there for a reason! Having said that Ernie did design the car!!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would also move the led toward the front, you don't want the lane changer changing AFTER the blade passes it

That hole under the front axle looks good

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As it's a fast car - yes worth considering - also means less missed changes if the lane changer is too near to the exit of a turn!

Having said that I run an AutoArt Shelby Cobra which is surprisingly quick (not as fast as this but not far off) and this had a front mounted motor driving the rear axle with a long drive shaft. Because everything is so tight in that car I had to mount the LED BEHIND the motor which places it about 15mm further back than the Mazda. Amazingly it changes lanes flawlessly, it also has a powerful magnet which keeps it in line even when the lane changer is near a sharp bend. i was fully expecting to have to slow down for lane changes but I don't.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I would expect that hole by the front axle is where the front body fixing screw lives. The next hole along should be OK or you could try doing it this way:
View attachment 9203

Only cut the chassis if there is no other way to site the chip otherwise use a nice big blob of hot glue and sit the chip on top of it.

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (GregK @ 4 Nov 2011, 00:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would expect that hole by the front axle is where the front body fixing screw lives. The next hole along should be OK or you could try doing it this way:
View attachment 9203

Only cut the chassis if there is no other way to site the chip otherwise use a nice big blob of hot glue and sit the chip on top of it.

Very neat. No way you can miss the sensor with that configuration!!!

What glue did you fix the LED with (assuming you used glue)?

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Just ordinary hot glue as it retains a bit of give whereas Super Glue can become quite brittle. It helps if you carve a small notch into the guide or run a 3mm drill bit parallel to the front of the guide, acting as a kind of router.

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
....... it was not my idea, just one I spotted in a very old thread on the early pioneering days of digital. It's jolly effective when there is not other suitable placement for the LED.

All the best - Greg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts