SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Addicted Rugracer
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure that someone must have done this already but I can't find any samples online or on this forum.

I've a wee Mosler project going on for myself and would like to add working lights to the model but there's very little space between the headlight pods and the front wheels.

Before I start drilling holes, has anyone any advice on squeezing a few LEDs into that tiny gap?

· Registered
2,790 Posts
You could use 3528 SMD LEDs. They are small and flat enough to fit just about anywhere. You can find them mounted on llead already on eBay. I tried using more powerful SMDs, but the heat build up was too high.

· Registered
66 Posts
I have put a couple of sets of light into NSR Moslers for the MI-24 Endurance Race, held each year in Michigan in the US. I have always used the lights that are available from Slot Car Corner (SCC). The install is really not that hard as long as you can turn the prongs on the LEDs about 45 degrees within a couple of mm of their exit from the sealed unit. The rear is no problem with plenty of room to work almost any scheme. We actually found that mounting the headlights in the valence, and sometimes on the chassis itself (with slots cut into the valence - makes it so that all of the lighting system can reside on the chassis with no need for a wire connection between the body and the chassis) worked well, but it is not the 1:1 scale location on the car. So, it depends on the rules that you're governed by, or your own personal preference; whether scale realism is required or not. If it is, then your challenge is greater, if not, then it's much easier.

Allan

· Addicted Rugracer
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have put a couple of sets of light into NSR Moslers for the MI-24 Endurance Race, held each year in Michigan in the US. I have always used the lights that are available from Slot Car Corner (SCC). The install is really not that hard as long as you can turn the prongs on the LEDs about 45 degrees within a couple of mm of their exit from the sealed unit.
Thanks Allan,

I'll be installing the LEDs in the stock location so, yes, making life harder for myself. :)

Have you any pics of your install by any chance?

· *** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,800 Posts
Hello Martin,
One trick that may help is that its possible to shorten the body of 5mm LEDs by 1mm or so. I have done that a couple of times when fitting lights to a Stratos and to a Porsche 959. With the Porsche I filed the LEDs at an angle so as to match the profile of the lamp "lens".
It ends up having a difused output but still gives good light.
If using clear bodied LEDs you can see the Anode and Cathode so easy to judge when to stop !! Do a test with one by wiring it up and filing until it fails.

Leo

· Premium Member
296 Posts
3mm LED's used - legs bent close to LED body, not so much to clear the wheels more to make them less visible through the wheel arch.

This was a tight fit all the same. I blacked the interior to cut the bleed through the body.

The veroboard is my DIY lighting interface for the O2 B chip fitted on the chassis.

Rear lights are a doddle.

Regards

Gary

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.