SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Addicted Rugracer
335 Posts
Has anyone successfully chipped an Arbath 500 for SSD and if so what chips will work?

I did check the chipping database but couldn't find anything.

How about fitting lights?

I really like the look of these cheeky little beasts and think they could be a good option for a one-make theme but only if they can be chipped without issues.

Thanks,

Martin

·
Addicted Rugracer
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or perhaps a more direct question;

Is the Scalextric C7005 up to handling the motors in these?

Seems like a C7005 Retro Chip with a Sure change guide might be a good way to go if the chip is man enough for the job.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Well, in order of cost ...... you could chance your arm or have the C7005 uprated or buy an SP15B

Reactions: MartinF

·
Addicted Rugracer
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, in order of cost ...... you could chance your arm or have the C7005 uprated or buy an SP15B
As it happens I have a C7005 and a SP15B in stock.

So I could give either, or both, options a try.

What's involved in getting the C7005 uprated?

I think I also need to track down an online supplier for LEDs and ferrite man components.

That's the problem with a new hobby; building up stocks of all the bits and bobs that more seasoned members always have to hand. :)

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Changing the MOSFETs marked PO3 & NO2 gives you the equivalent to an SP15B.

If you want more power, ~15%, change the diodes from silicone ones to Shottkys ...... this can make the car a bit of a beast though ....... :)

·
Addicted Rugracer
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Changing the MOSFETs marked PO3 & NO2 gives you the equivalent to an SP15B.

If you want more power, ~15%, change the diodes from silicone ones to Shottkys ...... this can make the car a bit of a beast though .......
smile.png
Very cool.

I don't have the dexterity for that kind of SMD rework any more though so that's not a DIY project for me.

More power: probably a little premature, I've still got my L-Plates on.
thumbsup2.gif

·
Greg Gaub
16,398 Posts
As long as you're going magless and don't go around getting the car stuck and trying to unstick it with full throttle, I think the c7005 is fine. If it blows, you can always send it to GregK for the upgrade.

Pretty much any chip will FIT in those cars, though. Plenty of room on the floor, and the interior is very shallow so no need to carve into it.

Unfortunately, the S2000 and Clio outclass the 500 by a wide margin due to their considerable girth relative to the 500. It's just not a fair fight from a handling perspective. If you want to make a racing set, keep them all 500s.

·
Addicted Rugracer
335 Posts
If it blows, you can always send it to GregK for the upgrade.
I've only just found GregK's chip repair thread.

Good to know that's an option.

If you want to make a racing set, keep them all 500s.
Yes, this is the plan.

Magless 500s look like they should be great fun.
biggrin.png

Update:
I've decided to give one a try and see how it goes.

Have now ordered

• NSR Arbath 500 (Martini livery)
  • 103 Caps
  • Ferrite Cores
  • An assortment of Bright White, Warm White and Red LEDs. (typically, I only had blue and green LEDs in the parts bin)

I already have a C7005 and a SP15B.
Just need to order the SureChange guides and then wait for the postman. :)

·
Circuit Owner
5,946 Posts

·
Addicted Rugracer
335 Posts
Hi Richard,

I've plenty of resistors although they're probably the wrong power rating, the smallest I have are probably 1w.

I'll experiment to find a suitable brightness then buy a bunch of small low power resistors from Maplins if I don't already have something suitable in the stash.

Thanks for the starting values, much appreciated.

·
Addicted Rugracer
335 Posts
One of the Arbaths arrived and after 30 mins or so running in analogue mode I knew it was going to be fun so time for chipping!

Most of the parts I need are still in the post but I can fit the chip for now and get some digital running.

The original plan was to fit a Slot.it chip with the IR LED mounted in a SureChange guide but that plan was scuppered when I discovered that the ARC Pro won't count laps if the LED is in front of the guide.
wacko.png

A Plan-B was required, so now I'll fitting the Slot.it chip flat on the bottom of the chassis with it's onboard IR LED in the traditional position and a second LED in the SureChange guide.

So first up I disassembled the chassis, and measured where the chip would fit.

I then carefully removed the magnet holders from the motor mount with a side cutters and scalpel, leaving just enough plastic to locate the board.

39832999965_61edcfc809_c.jpg
2018-03-10 13.23.23 by Martin Fay, on Flickr

The chip fit sits snugly into the remaining space with the LED located over the front hole of the motor mount.

40018046564_9a39f30ecb_c.jpg
2018-03-10 13.48.48 by Martin Fay, on Flickr

While I had the car apart I gave the front tyres a clean with IPA and a coat of Tamiya Semi-gloss clear. Then I refitted the motor mount. For the moment I just backed the mount screws off a half turn to leave a little float.

I didn't refit the magnet as this one will be mine.

39833001085_077c9d9eca_c.jpg
2018-03-10 14.04.06 by Martin Fay, on Flickr

And here we are all reassembled.

26856685378_e94e008f67_c.jpg
Arbath Martini by Martin Fay, on Flickr

Hopefully by next week I'll have the guides and lighting components in hand and can complete the job.

Oh, and I guess I should heat shrink that ferrite man. :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
so now I'll fitting the Slot.it chip flat on the bottom of the chassis with it's onboard IR LED in the traditional position and a second LED in the SureChange guide.
Fitting a second IR LED in the Surechange guide will disable the onboard IR LED

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
I am not familiar with the LED biasing circuits of the 15b but for the 201b a simple resistor in series with the external LED will ensure both the internal and external LEDs function at the same time... would something similar work with the 15b chip?

MartinF if you want to find a solution to having both LEDs functioning please PM me...

C

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am not familiar with the LED biasing circuits of the 15b but for the 201b a simple resistor in series with the external LED will ensure both the internal and external LEDs function at the same time... would something similar work with the 15b chip?

MartinF if you want to find a solution to having both LEDs functioning please PM me...

C
Wouldn't that mean that the car is registered twice each lap ?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.