SlotForum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all

Certain car rust treatments convert the iron oxide (rust) to a substance that won't rust - has anyone tried this on tracks? Does the treated metal still conduct electriticity and is it still smooth enough to run a car ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
460 Posts
My first track was an Artin track on a table on our outdoor veranda. I had severe corrosion problems and tried just about everything to combat it; WD40, electrical contact cleaner, etc. Nothing worked well for long. I finally built a routed wood track with tinned copper braid, and haven't had a problem with power or corrosion since.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Ok. I'll be the first to say it. If the rails are coated in Inox MX3 which is a non-drying lubricant, unlike WD40, it will act as a moisture barrier and keep the rails all shiny fresh.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
QUOTE (Ember @ 9 Jul 2011, 02:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok. I'll be the first to say it. If the rails are coated in Inox MX3 which is a non-drying lubricant, unlike WD40, it will act as a moisture barrier and keep the rails all shiny fresh.
So you are saying that's good for preventing rust forming.
Sounds like its a bit late for FMS to prevent rust forming.
What's the effect on rust that has already happened?

P.S. I have used car rust treatments on rusty cars - they are good if you paint afterwards, rust soon comes back if not.

·
Rich Dumas
3,546 Posts
The rust treatments that I have seen are phosphoric acid, that would convert the iron oxide to the phosphate which would mostly wash off. Anything that was left on the surface would not be a good conductor. Once your rails get corroded it is a lot of work to remove the rust and when the rust is removed the surface will be pitted and will be prone to rusting even faster in the future. Keeping the humidity down is a big help. WD-40 is good for preventing rust but you need to use it often. Some tracks have nickel plated rails and won't rust providing that the plating has not worn off. Never use an abrasive cleaner on plated rails.

·
Greg Gaub
14,661 Posts
INOX MX3 has been shown to remove rust deposits and prevent rust. Definitely give it a try. Worst case is it doesn't help, but won't hurt. Then try that rail cleaner (forgot the name) to remove rust, if necessary.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
if the rails are badly corroded then if cleaned they will be very pitted and will rust quicker again.

If the track sections look like they might be salvagable then pleby's track cleaner is the one to go for,this can usually be found on ebay.

Once cleaned a treatment of inox will ensure good conductivity...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
300SLR is right - the rust is already there so am looking for treatment rather than prevention and trying to avoid abrasives as the rust is in little spots and I don't want to scratch the good track

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
Once rust has started you will have problems. Clean it with whatever to get rust off then copper tape it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Won't the track rust under the copper tape eventually bubbling and ruining the l;evel surface ?

·
Registered
377 Posts
QUOTE (FMS @ 8 Jul 2011, 16:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi to all

Certain car rust treatments convert the iron oxide (rust) to a substance that won't rust - has anyone tried this on tracks? Does the treated metal still conduct electriticity and is it still smooth enough to run a car ?

Thanks in advance

yes and then the surface will not conduct electricity! so not much good. rust is useless for conducting as well!

buy some 'new track' best option and keep it dry and use often.

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
QUOTE (FMS @ 14 Jul 2011, 14:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Won't the track rust under the copper tape eventually bubbling and ruining the l;evel surface ?

I would not think it would bubble that much. Give it a try. For the price of a couple pieces of new track you can buy a large roll of copper tape.

·
Registered
483 Posts
chuck it in the bin and get carrera track, or get the router out. Assuming moisture is an issue a routed track using braid might be your best longer term option. Good luck finding your best solution.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts