Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here have tried the Peugeot 206 WRC from Auto Art. A friend of mine is just getting an SCX 206 and I thought I'll have to get something to race him with. I've never seen nor tried any Auto Art cars before, so I'm all ears really. I have read a few reviews of the Subaru, Lancer, Murcielago and the Countach, but I haven't found anything on their Peugeot. The lights seem bad on the Countach, Lancer and Subaru, with this plastic light spreader making one poor LED light up both front lights, whilst the Murcielago has separate LED's for each light. Also from what I gather they (AA) seem to be smooth in the drivetrain compared to the SCX (what isn't really?). I've also gathered that they (AA) have a very nice finish on their cars in general . So, I'm all ears...

Toby

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Hi Toby, I have a Lancer and like it. It is very smooth with wonderful paint and detail, but the tires are a bit on the hard side. This does make it slide very easily once you remove those annoying magnets. Why rally cars have magnets is beyond me, the're supposed to slide, aren't they?!? Anyway, the car is quite nice and has a fairly zippy motor too. The only downside is the guide flag is a little short and it will pop out of the slot if you run it into the turn too hard. But once you get a feel for the car, you can perform very pretty drifts around most of the track. Overall, I think they are very nice cars and am looking forward to getting another, such as the 206 or Citroen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a murcielago, I agree with the previous comments that the car goes smoothly but to have it doing almost the same times that other cars do in my circuit at home I had to change the rear tyres by ones from NINCO and as usual remove the magnet.

The only thing I don´t like about this car is the breaking, you have to be careful when getting into the curves, it doesn´t break at all.

·
Jim Moyes
5,001 Posts
Hi Toby,

I have one of each of the rally cars (the lack of a driver figure in the sports cars has kept me away from them......for now! Don't know what I will do when the Muira arrives......but I digress) and there have been quite a lot of changes to the Peugeot compared to the Subaru and Lancer. Some I consider to be good changes and some have the potential to be a backwards step.

I've taken a few pictures of the three and if I can get them uploaded to Star Photo I will do a mini comparative review.

Bear with me!

I'll be back!

Mr.M

P.S. To save you some time, I think they will be very different to the SCX cars, racing wise, so perhaps a different livery SCX 206 or a Xsara would be the best bet against your racing buddy.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm also strongly against magnets, especially in rallycars, so thanks for the info on the tires! What tires will fit the wheels, Ninco, SCX, Scalextric?
Mr.M I'm very much looking forward to the pics and review!
But to speed things up with pics you should seriously consider using Photobucket instead, for uploading pics. I have a starphoto account too, but it's mostly trouble, not to mention extremely slow. Photobucket is easy to use and you can also create different directories, plus it's fast loading.
By the way you said they will be very different to the SCX cars. How do you mean, I gather they have slower acceleration and worse breaking but highter top speed, am I right? That can all be fixed with a bit of tuning, but if they win convincingly in the looks departement that's nice enough for me
. I'm also interested in the proportions of the cars, I like them to be as true to scale as possible (I reckon SCX can't be right with all their rallycars having the same wheelbase), and that's where I thought AA would win the battle.
This is a new field of cars for me, modern rally cars that is. I had a Megan and an Ibiza from SCX a year ago but I gave them away with my track as I left Melbourne. They were only RWD but the Megan was great fun especially with a pro turbo motor
I was also considering getting a Teamslot Renault Alpine, but that's a different ballgame I guess.

Toby

·
Jim Moyes
5,001 Posts
Well, Star Photo was on reasonable form tonight so here you are! Shame about my photographic abilities!

The three cars pre strip down

As has been said before, the finish and detail is of a very high standard. Perhaps a bit too shiny, whereas the SCX cars look like they have been in a rally, the AutoArt cars give the impression of show pieces. My prowess with the camera isn't great enough to show you the finer details like the printing on the 206 mirrors but it is very impressive. Looking at this made me realise that the Lancer doesn't have any door mirrors at all, a bit of a glaring omission if the 1/1 car has them.

Note on the Subaru and Lancer the motor/light/guide wiring links the body to the chassis permanently. Bit annoying really. The motor is nearly perfectly mid mounted with a solid shaft to each axle. The directional switch is mounted alongside the motor a la Carrera.

On the 206 the addition of a simple one way only multiplug means the body can be completely removed. No directional switch at all! The motor is now fitted more to the front of the car with a shortish direct drive to the front gear and shaft and spring coupling to the rear as in Fly and Hornby front motored cars.

This picture is intended to show the large difference in the wheel/tyre dimensions. The 2 early cars have wheels and tyres of a very similar size to their SCX counterparts, yet the 206 has very tall thin tyres. Possibly more like the real car but they do look strange when you are used to the "normal" SCX/Ninco/Hornby offerings!

This is intended to show the new approx 50% deeper guide fitted to the 206, though you can't actually see it very well. But if you notice how the chassis is sitting so much higher while resting on it's guide blade, you should get the idea! Strangely though, using this odd yardstick, the Lancer seems to sit lower than the Subaru.

So, in summary and definitely in my opinion:

Plus points for the 206 in relation to the previous releases;

1. Wiring plug to remove body
2. Deeper guide

Negative points compared to the earlier models;

1. Front motored with propshaft spring and bearing, not a great setup for non mag rally fun
2. Narrow wheels and tyres

The reversing switch is not important for me so I haven't considered it a good or bad thing.

The deeper guide will fit into the earlier two, and as this was something that disappointed when I first tried the Subaru, I hope that they will be readily available as spares. As AutoArt cars, like Hornby, come with two spare guides on the bottom of the box, the spare Peugeot ones will be fitted on the Scooby and EVO before I put them back together.

Another couple of plus points with AutoArt in general are the boxes! Colour coded to each manufacturer, even the plastic mounting lugs are done in the co-ordinating colour. All for a very reasonable price!

As a fan of historic sports cars, the announcement of C/D/E-type Jags by AutoArt has really set my mouth watering.

Cheers Mr.M

Spoke too soon 'bout Star Photo

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, now thats some info! Thanks heaps for all the pics and describing words! You really made the effort to help me out in my decision!
I do like the width of that 206
, not too keen on the front motor positioning though
. I must say I'm also puzzled by the narrower tires, but I guess that the real ones (1:1) like you said aren't as wide as we're used to from other manufacturers. I guess they're more true to scale for a gravel rally than a tarmac one, but for the snow in the Swedish rally they would be even narrower than that! The only problem might be finding replacement rubber
. How bad is the rubber really? I'm mostly running on Scalex classic track, but also sport sometimes.
I like trying out new things though, and it certainly looks the part, so I'm conviced by the pics to have a go at the Peugeot. Thanks again Mr.M

·
Registered
543 Posts
about the magnets on the AA peugeot rally.
they are glued in place.
attempting to pry them out will likely damage the chassis.
on mine i used a screwdriver and a hammer. tip of the screwdriver on bottom of magnet, one short sharp blow with the hammer, magnet falls out.

·
Jim Moyes
5,001 Posts
The magnets came out easily on mine! They have a little catch either end and, with a slight flex of the chassis, just popped out.

The Subaru and Lancer have a plastic retainer held by one small screw.

Mr.M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts