SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Popped into Toys R Us this afternoon to see what had been delivered for their Xmas offerings and to see if any "specials" had arrived not previously listed by Hornby. I noted that they had a set which had two Holden V8 cars as a Toys R Us special, in addition to one or two other sets previuosly mentioned. Its interesting that Hornby feel that these Australian supercars can be offered in the UK directly.

But also noted that Toys R Us no longer stock a cheap set using the Classic track. For the last 2 years one or two Classic track sets have always been offered alongside the SPORT sets available but this is no longer the case. They were effectively the last bastion for Classic track enthusiasts and appeared happy to sell off Hornby stock in set form. They even offered the hump back bridge (one of the more popular accessories funnily enough) and no longer do.

It could well be that Classic track will not appear in the 2005 catalogue as dealer stocks may well have dried up.

Anybody like to quote odds?

Moped

·
Registered
146 Posts
Has it finally gone away? Well there's a lot of it still in shops in the US and even more on the secondary market as people get rid of it here. I was just talking to a friend and he was amazed that anyone would want his Classic track.

I know there are many users of this track but it has always seemed like a barely acceptable item, especially when compared to the excellent and affordable US tracks offerd in the sixties and seventies that I was used to, many which are still is use. Even Scalextric offered a hobby quality track with their 1/24 scale range with stainless steel power rails.

It is really hard for me to understand the feverent following this track has. The track was expensive, not smooth, it warped, it has poor electrical connections, has a shallow slot, has steel power rails which corroded (big problem for me with my track in the basement), a computer program is needed to make a layout... I could go on and on. Of the track pieces I had only 50 percent of the straight track was usable, it just wasn't flat enough to use! The only track I can think of that is as poor is Eldon.

I know it did work and I had some fun racing on it but it was only because there was no other alternative and I wasn't going to route a track. The Classic track was quickly discarded when Carrera and Artin became widely avialable in the US.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE ..I might be getting a job at Toys R Us soon..

Yes, I was looking at the advert to!

£2500 for Oct to Dec and £1800 for Nov and Dec.

Not bad for stacking shelves in the slot car department.

I would guess that there are a number of Slotforum members who could do with a job like that!

Moped

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I would guess they stopped making classic track years ago, but had rather large amount of stock left, and have continued to market and distribute it till it ran out. It doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense to keep producing 2 competing track systems.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I think it would be more accurate to say that it doesn't make ANY sense!
Which tends to make one wonder about SCX and when/whether they will drop their old line, even though in some respects it was slightly superior to Scalextric 'Classic'.

·
Registered
469 Posts
QUOTE I noted that they had a set which had two Holden V8 cars as a Toys R Us special, in addition to one or two other sets previuosly mentioned. Its interesting that Hornby feel that these Australian supercars can be offered in the UK directly.

Interesting too, that they'd market a set with two Commodores instead of a Falcon and a Commodore just for the UK market. Which cars are they?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I can imagine that stocking sets with both Classic and Sport was something of an accident waiting for happen for a high street (well, out of town retail park) outfit which traditionally knows nothing about the product it's shifting. Imagine the trouble when parents of UK Johnny go to TRU to buy more track to expand the set they bought at TRU only a couple of months ago...

I wonder if the choice of Oz V8s for a TRU exclusive set is because the cars are cheaper to produce (no interior) and hence discounting is a bit easier to swallow?

Coop

·
Registered
263 Posts
QUOTE (moped rider @ 12 Oct 2004, 22:05)QUOTE ..I might be getting a job at Toys R Us soon..

Yes, I was looking at the advert to!

£2500 for Oct to Dec and £1800 for Nov and Dec.

Not bad for stacking shelves in the slot car department.

I would guess that there are a number of Slotforum members who could do with a job like that!

Moped
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

.........and associated staff discount for buying all those chrissie presents and slot cars. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts