SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My work involves a lot of traveling, mostly on planes. I usually don't bring my slotcars because it's always been a hassle. But with our growing network of contacts, club tracks, etc it seems such a shame to leave the toys at home.

Tired of carrying a toolbox that wasn't really meant for slot cars? Well I decided to build a slotcar box using an attaché case made by Pelican. The Pelican case is watertight, dust proof, crush proof, and corrosion proof and is molded from advanced ultra high impact copolymer resin. It'll even float in salt water in the event that my plane ditches in the ocean. Boy that makes me feel better.

You don't have to go to this extreme but what the hell I had one lying around. So I built some dividers using wood and came up with the case I have below. Now I just need to figure a good story for airport security regarding my Ruddock controller with the wires and the sinister black box!

(Dividers left unstained for clarity.)

Also modified an HO case I had laying around now holds 2 1/24, 3 1/32 and 12 HO Cars.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Excellent idea! Like you said if you've got a spare bulletproof
case lying around...

Might I suggest tastefully decorating the attache case with motorsport and slot racing stickers? That way, when it goes through the x-ray machine, the customs guys won't go "WHAT THE BLOODY HELL!?" (much..)

Mark.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
And I see you have one of Tim's McLaren M20s nestling in there too... quick work!

All my cars get swept quickly into a drawer under the workbench each time Mrs Howmet pops in to check that I'm still earning money. It's actually quite a faithful reproduction of that 197?? Silverstone GP first lap in there.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the M20 I only did a driver head transplant and used an HRS chassis. The HO Ferrari is stock. If they still made cars like that I would never have left HO.

1976 Brands Hatch. Comparing that circuit to the moonscape that's Silverstone, gosh where fo I start. How about comparing heaven to hell.

G

·
Hi Dennis nice case.

How about:

You are carrying out research into the most efficient slot track conductivity tests and this vital to National Security.

Jeff.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE If they still made cars like that I would never have left HO.

Likewise. Four times the track in the same space. But the last AFX and original G-plus cars of that Ferrari's vintage were the last ones I truly enjoyed racing. When they moved to the glued-down rockets and minimal detail, I lost a lot of interest. The move back to 1/32 has given me a completely revitalized interest in slot racing. Besides... my aging eyes deal better with the bigger cars...

And although I haven't needed it recently, I still have my large-scale Hoffman box from the mid-60s, complete with decals and event plaques from that era. But unlike yours, it's a rather time-worn beast.

Brands Hatch vs Silverstone? Yes, almost like comparing Spa to that dreadful Las Vegas circuit they once used.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
In a similar vein, my last HO car, after dropping from the magnet scene - a "Rattler" - lexan Ford MkIV on a direct-drive chassis with "Slide-Guide" flag:

1/32 style racing in 1/4 the size!

And I would love to see that Ford MkIV done by a 1/32 manufacturer!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
FERGY!
I am so slow! At last the penny has dropped!
HO Sliders, Rattlers, Direct Drive, Ed Biancchi . . .

I had links to these and Fergy's page, years ago, when I spent ALL my net time researching slot cars and finding out who did what and where!
Several PC changes, a few lost links, forgetfulness and plain idleness loses mental connections then, BOOM, it all comes back in a flash!

I'd love to see your thoughts on direct drive - motors with a ton of torque at low rpm, NO gears, so bound to be smooth and whisper quiet.
Oh yes, let's have some of that, please!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.