SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I never completed any other Scalextric cars in my other thread, and I still owe an update and some progress on those!!! I hope to get back on it this winter!

However, I've gotten a few Airfix and MRRC GP cars over the years I'd like to clean up and run. I'm very surprised how well the two-part brass chassis run. I need to find two chassis for a Porsche and a Honda, but besides completely mint cars at $85+ on eBay, I'm not finding any.

Does anyone have any spare chassis laying around they'd like to part with?

Or, should I be looking at a Penelope Pitlane chassis? Has anyone put one of these under an Airfix or MRRC car? If so, which one? I'd like to keep the cars running similarly, so I'd like to keep the can motors in them and not go slimline. I've got zero time to learn how to build brass chassis from scratch.

Also, what wheels do you recommend to make them more prototypical of the era? I've looked a Penelope's site, but easily get confused by the sizes.

Thanks!

·
Tore
1,694 Posts
Are these the "Clubman" metal chassis? if so there seem to surface NOS chassis parts on eBay UK every now and then, and you might try look up Phil Smith in UK.

·
David Collins
2,406 Posts
Airfix and MRRC bodies have been a staple in CSCRA racing for years, as the bodies used to appear regularly on eBay as John Robinson disposed of old stocks. But since John's death they are getting scarce - I don't know if there were any more left by then. They are getting more expensive on eBay, that's for sure.

In CSCRA races you mostly find scratchbuilt chassis underneath them, often using Penelope Pitlane, or the AB Slotsport Monoposto, and Al Penrose's brackets. I have never raced one of the MRRC brass chassis, but I imagine they could be tuned to deliver pretty much the same performance.

If you want wire wheels, have a look at Pendles site (spares/scratchbuilt spares/pcs scratchbuild spares. Or why not email Steve Ward at Penelope Pitlane and explain which car you're building - I'm sure he'd be able to recommend the right sizes.

David

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Just historical curiousity here, trying to fill in my gaps. If dreineke's (David's?) two-part brass chassis are Airfix-MRRC units, when do they date from? My knowledge of Airfix-MRRC cars stops 30 years ago.
And David, you mention wanting to keep can motors. Are they in the Hi-Speed type of bodies with no chassis? Are they the old Johnson 111s, which wouldn't fit modern ready-made chassis, or modern small cans?

By the way, mmoose1/Ken, those look beautiful revamps.
Rob J

·
Administrator
9,792 Posts
Rob,

I think he's talking about the brass MRRC chassis that they brought out in the 1990s, under a few of their old classic bodies... I believe they were still doing cars with clip in motors and steering, and then also added the brass chassis option. It's just basically a folded up piece of brass, but if I remember right, the wheels are still plastic press-on...

Don

·
Administrator
9,792 Posts
Here's my MRRC Sharknose Ferrari, which I believe I bought in the later 1990s. It's got the 2-piece brass chassis that's been talked about.
Don

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the input!

The chassis is the exact one that Don shows on his Sharknose.

I've got one coming from Moose, and I won a full car (another Honda) on eBay, so with some parts, at least these 4 will be running. I'm really doing some research on new wheels though, as the ones I have are very un-detailed. The funny thing is that with some truing, the stock tires are actually fantastic on my wood track!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've not had much time, but since I worked from home today, I was able to multi-task and get a little done on these.

I've got these cars painted: A Ford Matra, a Porsche, a BRM, and a Honda. I painted all the chromed parts from the kits silver to tone them down, washed them in thinned black.

For the chassis (I had 2 complete ones and 1 bare one). I also have a trade coming from the board here and another purchase off of eBay. I'll probably just steal those chassis for the cars that are pictured. I also purchased the two completed and nicely detailed BRM and Eagle from a friend of mine.

I used my last 3 sets of BWA wheels and the last of my Ninco classic tires (21x9 in back, 19x7 up front) on the three chassis I have. I've ordered new tires (more Ninco), new wheels (from Slot Car Corner) for the remaining chassis that needed them, and decals from Pattos. Next week will be like Christmas when the stuff all gets here!

Anyway, I still plan on getting back to the Scalextric F1 cars as I owe JHardy my life after a year of sitting on the bodies he's sent me. I really have to get over my slot car ADHD...

·
David Collins
2,406 Posts
Oooh David, you should chop those front wings of the BRMs! They were only added I think in later editions of the model to make them look more modern for the slot car audience - but have nothing to do with the real cars. I think they also did this travesty with the Honda, and maybe other models as well.

David

·
re member
4,138 Posts
Great work with these cars David...the Honda is a car I would love to own....that exhaust system does something to me....!!!

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
A couple of MRRC F1's .........The Honda and Eagle are on the 2 piece MRRC "Clubman" chassis, and the BRM is on a scratch chassis. The 2 on clubman chassis' will be switched over to scratch chassis' soon.....nothing at all wrong with the clubman chassis, just a tad on the heavy side, and it is designed for a traditional "S" can motor which because of its size, forces the cars to sit a little higher than they should.

Cheers
Chris Walker

The BRM, with a "slim" motor and scratch chassis has a much more scale ride height than the other 2

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Nice, now, just get some 13" wheels on that BRM Eh!

When you coming out for a visit, I've got the little lathe set up, and, can skim those wheels you wanted done??

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
David - I'd thought about chopping the wings off the one I'd painted, but actually forgot until the last coat went on...and then suddenly yelled out an expletive in the shop.

Chris - I had saved off those exact pictures of your cars for reference...I'd like mine to look that nice. I realize the stock chassis puts the cars pretty high in the air, but I do like the way they drive, so I'll just keep them.

Munter - I love the exhaust on the Honda too! I'm going to paint them up like Chris did his.

More to come!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Nice work, Chris. Looks like you replaced the feeble intake trumpets on the Honda engine (unless those are a change in a later series) and the undersized driver. I've begun improving one too, but wasn't planning to change the intakes. Yours do make a difference.
The wonderful exhausts and the rest of the engine detail were better on the Scalex version, for once.

The fins on the Airfix BRM were added during a 1970s reissue series and "Plus" was added to the cars' names, so there was a "BRM Plus", a "Matra-Ford Plus", etc. The cars had unrealistically wide wheels, rear wings and airboxes too, which was particularly bizarre on the BRM, where the "Plus" airbox sat over the exhaust headers in the centre of the vee. The air intakes, of course, were lower on each side.
Rob J

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
hi barry
great selection of models from a great era ,and some very rare ones two ,must have taken some researching
just a point are you sure stirling moss drove the rob walker lotus 24 ,or is it another of your fantasy liveries like the sharknose

cheers tony

1 - 20 of 34 Posts