SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Bulletin 1: Round 1 & 2 Confirmed. Wolverhampton Slot Car Club Sunday 20th January 2013.

Hello All 1970s F1 Fans!

I'm very happy to confirm the Rounds 1&2 of the Heart of England Grand Prix Championship 2013 will take place at the superb facilities at Wolvershampton Slot Car Club.

Full details to follow soon.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bulletin 3: Sunday 23rd June 2013 Dudley Slot Racing Club (Confirmed).

Once again we are very happy to be returning to this superb high speed circuit for 2 rounds of the Heart Of England Grand Prix Championship 2013.

Full details to follow.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Bulletin 4: SENNA TROPHY EVENT 30/12/2012.

For those of you who want to take part in the 2013 Championship please consider taking part in the 2012 SENNA TROPHY Event.

We will be using Johnson Formula Cars (as used in the Heart of England Grand Prix Championship) and it will be an ideal "non championship" warm up event for you to take part in.

See this official entries thread for further details.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bulletin 5: Rounds 3&4 2013 Confirmed - North Staffs Scalextric Racing Club: Sunday 31st March 2013.

I'm very pleased and proud to announce that rounds 3&4 of the Heart Of England Grand Prix Championship 2013 will take place at North Staffordshire Scalextric Racing Club on Sunday 31st March 2013.

I'd like to thank Mark Wain at NSSRC for making the arrangements and confirming the date.

It looks a superb venue and boasts a 100ft 6 lane mdf routed track with a santex surface.

See pictures below.

·
rob Wallader
785 Posts
Hi Ian,
I enjoyed the few races I had this year, but found it difficult to get a decent Johnson motor that can compete on speed down the straights at Wolves or Great barr. I had to make up time through the corners. My decent finishes were all down to track knowledge, as i was being left for dead on straight line speed.
I have spoken with others who have shown interest in this series, but don't attend because of the johnson motor rule.
Would you consider a second class for next year & the Senna trophy?
Class one as per this year with a Johnson motor.
Class two rules as above class but the use of a 18k mabuchi motor. Its a lot easier to obtain a half decent scalextric or fly 18k motor. these are cheap to buy. Pendle offer an 18K motor for £4.00. how cheap is that?

By opening it up, we may be able to increase the number of people who attend each round from 15 to around 20 or 25.

Great Barr are thinking of adding a new class to their race season based on your series with mabuchi motors. if this happens, more of them may join your series.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll consider it for the HOE Championship 2013 and let you know via this thread in due course.

As for the Senna Trophy its not my shout. I'll discuss with the Bearwood bretheren and let you know.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bulletin 6: Heart of England Formula 1 Championship 2013 (Rounds 9&10 - Great Barr Sunday 1st September 2013 confirmed).

Many thanks to Simon & Rod at Great Barr Slot Car Racing Club for allowing the Heart of England Championship to return to their superb circuit of Sunday 1st September 2013 for the final 2 rounds of this popular Midlands Championship.

See the film below which shows what an amazing circuit it is.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/l0rpvxFKQDI?rel=0

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
Ian,
This is the traditional weekend for the Rockingham Classic meeting.
On this occasion only it will be possible to move our event to the following weekend.
Yes I know that will clash with the Slot.It Oxygen event at Pendle but I suspect none of our regulars would be involved with that anyway.
So in the interests of attempting to get a decent turn out for both our events the Rockingham Classic meeting will be held on September 8th 2013 instead of September 1st as previously announced.
It will then revert to it's traditional date of the first weekend of September there after.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I messaged guy about Johnson motors but no reply. Any one able to point me in right direction to get hold of some

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Ian, We at Wolves have been discussing the suggested motor change to Mabuchis. We all like the idea as it will still provide a level playing field but may help to make the cars a tad more reliable! I for one like the idea of the Johnson motors too and fully appreciate the ethos of last year's championship, being cheap to race in and all, but as Rob said, Pendle sell very cheap mabuchi motors with a similar performance to that of the Johnson motor.

Obviously in the end the change will be down to you but the wolves crew think it's a viable option to consider.

Thanks, Nick W

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
One of the benefits of going over to a standard 18.5k Mabuchi is that some of the later releases of these cars came with these motors and fitting a Johnson to their motor mounts is virtually impossible - IIRC both the Brabham and the Yardley-BRM have come with both motors during their production life. However, a Mabuchi will go into a Johnson 111 mount easily with the right adaptors. Both myself and Ralph have bought cars sight unseen (i.e. didn't see the underside) which turned out to be Mabuchi S can-equipped and therefore useless for the 2012 season.

Rob, please keep me informed about Mabuchi-1970s F1s at Great Barr!

Coop

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Bulletin 7: 2013 HOE Championship Motors.

I'd like to thank Nick,Rob and Owen for their input and discussion suggesting a change of motor from the Johnson to the Mabuchi motor for the HOE Championship and the Senna Trophy 2012.

I've considered the pros and cons very carefully over the last few days and decided that the 2013 Championship (and Senna Trophy) will continue to use the Johnson Motor and the "Johnson Formula" regulations.

This may be disappointing news to some of you, but I have made this decision based upon being closely involved in all the rounds of the HOE Championship this year.

The 2012 Championship year was superb with lots of close racing and lots of fun at a very low cost to all.

I can wholeheartedly say that the Championship was not decided by engine power or straightline speeds at all but by driver skill and car preparation.

Andy Bartle and Lewis Gough provided some superb entertainment with their Johnson powered cars and it was entirely due to their skill and experience that the championship was so closely fought and compelling to watch.

The reason that I chose the Johnson as the "control motor" were as follows.

1. It is relatively easy to find and is used as the standard motor for 70s F1 racing by many UK clubs that have revived the use of these cars.
  2. It is easy to repair and restore with careful cleaning and some oil.
  3. It has a nice clean power band and delivery.
  4. It is the natural motor that fits the cars of the era (without the use of any adaptors).
  5. It produces a relatively realistic "scale speed".

In addition I wish to keep the HOE Formula to one Johnson powered class to keep entry fee costs to a minimum.

Were I to introduce a Mabuchi class this would mean that additional trophies would have to be purchased which would mean increased entry fee costs to the competitor.

Additionally existing regular HOE competitors would have to go to the time and expense of retrofitting Mabuchi motors to their chassis.

I wish you luck with your Mabuchi powered club formula's and I hope to see you at all of the rounds of the HOE 2013 Championship.

Best wishes.

Ian Howard
HOE Championship Co-ordinator.

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
Ian,
I believe you have made a wise decision regarding the motor for the 'Johnson Formula'.
Despite what others have stated on here there are a significant number of those 70's car into which it is almost impossible to fit a Mabuchi FC130 motor.
I also believe, from experience of running Scalextric mabuchi powered classes at Wellingborough, that you would all have been very disappointed with the large variation in performance with these motors. It used to cost us a lot of money to find a good competitive example and the cheap alternative sold by Pendle, whilst fine for home racing, just does not compare to the best Scalextric version.
I will now get on and finish my Johnson powered car, which has been on hold for a couple of days, so I can get in a bit of testing before the first round at Wolves next year.
See you there.
Cheers.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Rounds 1 & 2..........Wolverhampton Slot Car Club.................Sunday 20th January 2013

Rounds 3 & 4..........North Staffs Scalextric Racing Club.........Sunday 31st March 2013

Rounds ? & ?..........Dudley Slot Racing Club.........................Sunday 23rd June 2013

Rounds 9 & 10........Great Barr............................................Sunday 1st September 2013

This is what I can find in this thread, is there a more complete list of dates for next year yet?

·
rob Wallader
785 Posts
Guys, I think everyone will have their opinion on this, it seems the fact that only three of us have commented on this, shows just how popular this class is. I suggested adding a second class as an option to increase interest in racing in this event. It would be nice to have 20-30 racers turn out. But I cant see that happening. Some of the guys I've spoken with who raced last year won't be racing next year. We relied heavily on home racers to make up the numbers. Not many people attended more than one or two rounds.
I Personally would love to see this series as a success, I love F1 cars form the 70's, but looking at the number of people who have signed up to the Senna trophy as an example, I can't see it.
7 people have signed up & 1 provisional. My experience shows that more people cry off nearer the date rather than sign up. The Early birds for instance, we have had over 60 people sign up with in three weeks of announcing the event, I doubt if 45-50 will turn up on the day.
Im sorry if Im putting a downer on this event, I take my hat off to Ian. Anyone who takes on organizing an event deserves a medal. All I'm saying is keep an open mind & change isn't a bad thing. Johnson motors are from a distant past. If we didn't accept change / evolution, We would all be still using an abacus to add up.

****, the Johnson motor is bigger than the mabuchi. Ive got two identical brabhams, one has a Johnson in the other has a mabuchi in it with a small plastic cap making up the difference in length. If you are using that as your argument not to use Mabuchi's, its a bit lame. Sorry.

·
Registered
612 Posts
QUOTE (Nomadic Racer @ 27 Nov 2012, 18:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Johnson motors are from a distant past. If we didn't accept change / evolution, We would all be still using an abacus to add up.

They are from the same past as a lot of the cars being raced

If we want modern motors then we run modern cars don't we?
Personally I'd like to see an 80's class running Mabuchi motors though

QUOTE (Nomadic Racer @ 27 Nov 2012, 18:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>****, the Johnson motor is bigger than the mabuchi. Ive got two identical brabhams, one has a Johnson in the other has a mabuchi in it with a small plastic cap making up the difference in length. If you are using that as your argument not to use Mabuchi's, its a bit lame. Sorry.

Looking at that another way, some of the cars came built for RX motors and had adapters for the Johnson motors, how feasible is it to run an even smaller motor in these?

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (pasiro @ 27 Nov 2012, 14:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rounds 1 & 2..........Wolverhampton Slot Car Club.................Sunday 20th January 2013

Rounds 3 & 4..........North Staffs Scalextric Racing Club.........Sunday 31st March 2013

Rounds ? & ?..........Dudley Slot Racing Club.........................Sunday 23rd June 2013

Rounds 9 & 10........Great Barr............................................Sunday 1st September 2013

This is what I can find in this thread, is there a more complete list of dates for next year yet?

No I've yet to confirm the Bearwood date.

As soon as I do I will publish the full calendar.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.