SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I am a total newbie with regards to Slotcars. As such I have a lot of questions and hope I have found a good place to learn.

Like most over the years I have always looked at Scalectrix, however finally with the pushing of 1 of my sons we got a set through argos a couple of weeks ago.

Looking to expand this set I got a Subaru Rally set via eBay for £5 at the weekend. However this set needs some attaention and this is where I need the help of others. The track (classic) needs a bit of a cleaning and having looked online I have seen a variety of products (such as Pleby), My question is what do you recomend to use ?

I have changed the pickups on the 2 cars in the set and wondered if there is any other recomended general maintenance to be done on them ?

I am looking for more track on eBay and hope to get some by this coming weekend. I am also looking at cars on there but keep seeing things like wing mirrors missing - are these important to the running of the cars ?

Living in Alton, Hampshire I see there are a couple of local clubs which I am thinking of contacting with a view to joining, but i think this might not be too popular with my son as he is ony 10 so might not be able to attend meetings with me. Are there any local junior slotcar clubs ?

Living in Alton explains part of my handle here - The "Bee" bit comes from supporting Brentford.......

I think thats enough for now....

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

The pleby track cleaner kit is excellent,think of it as more a restoration product than just a cleaner.As long as the braids are neat and tidy and the car runs A-ok just run them unless you want to start tuning them.

As far as mirrors and other body parts going missing it wont make any difference to the running of the cars it,s purely asthetics.

As you have found out?? The track with the set from argos and the set from ebay are different.New version is called sport and the older is classic.Convertor sections are available to link them up though.

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

It's definitely worth contacting Dave at Alton & Winchester club in Alresford. I'm sure he has had Dads and lads nights in the past.

There has been a Junior club at Bolwextric in Clanfield too, but I'm not sure if it's running at the moment due to lack of numbers. We find that, at this time of year, light evenings make people think of other pastimes. You could PM Will (Wambulance) on the Bolwextric club section as he is the webmaster for the club. Often our adult members bring their lads along to normal club night during the school holidays. But neither clubs have steel rails so magnets don't work and it might be a bit much if your lad is used to them.

Sending a PM re track.

Cheers,

Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

I am also a recent convert to slots and my first purchases of classic track were cleaned up with "HI-SPEC" track cleaner from Classic Toys & Models (01964535523) which can be found on ebay, just search for track cleaner and you will find it. It is an impregnated rubber which you rub up and down the rail with great results. Wire wool off any rust and then dependant on how grubby the track is start with the "rough" rubber then "medium" then "fine" to finish. Rub a little WD40 over the rails and away you go. You'll probably spend 2-3 mins on each piece but they come up as new. A pack of 3 grades will cost around £10 plus postage but well worth it.
I originally bought it for my two boys but their interest is only shortlived whenever they play it. I however have caught the bug bigtime and I have now moved on to Ninco track and in the process of building a large setup in the converted loftspace. Its very addictive!!!

Good luck

Mark

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hi Alton Bee,

You are more than welcome to come down and join us on our next club night. Checkout the club website. https://sites.google.com/site/altonandwinch...lotcarclub/home and contact details are on the website.
I have no problem with youngsters coming along, but you may not want him kept up too late. We usually finish around 10pm. As Mr M. said too, we run non mag so a little more restraint is needed.
Please email me through the website and I can answer some of your questions an you could maybe even pop down one day this week to have a look.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts