SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking for a while and have just replied to a couple of four year old threads!

John Wells is the name and a few of the senior members here are unfortunate enough to know me. Started serious racing about 1963 my local club was Tooting Bec which included a small group of guys who blagged some sponsorship from a U.S. company UGO, Paul Amos, Fred James, Paul (second best) West and Gary Fletcher. After much pestering I manged to muscle my way in to the clan just as the UGO deal came to an abrupt halt! Another deal was struck with Bill Johnson who had a small company known as Jontec. over the next few years spent most of my time racing at Nordic, Hammersmith and the occasional tube ride to Tottenham. Raced against many members currently on here but one that will always stand out in my memory is Bob Hallums.

After a brief sabbatical returned to race at the Chequered Flag in Northolt, members including the infamous Jim Huxley, Roy Cherry, still racing Wink Hackman, Steve Sawney and the ever present Ian Fisher.

Yet another break and then returning to Pinewood in Berkshire and compete ting in 1/24th BOCs

Great forum and I'm trawling so many of the older threads wallowing in nostalgia reading stories of guys I raced against as a kid 45 years ago.

I've now packed up for good................but I've said that many times before!

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Hello John, welcome to the forum. Not many 1st craze UK slotracers around these days. If you have anything to share from those days, please post away. Do you have any old photos at all or any of your old cars?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Doug
Sadly I have no photos of those halcyon days, no digital or Internet way back then, perhaps that was a good thing. Still got a collection of Model Cars magazines in the attic, will have to dust them off and find some embarrassing pics of me as a long haired youngster trying to be very cool. A few tales which I will have to dig out from the old grey matter such as my good pal Gary Fletcher being dragged under the Nordic track whilst marshalling the hole by the resident dog Max. if there any members on here that use to race at the Tooting Bec club I'd be pleased to hear from them

·
Marc Abbott
1,915 Posts
Ah-ha

Welcome John

Hopefully you remember me from the Chequered Flag.

I gave up the BSCRA type racing and now concentrate on the hard-bodied stuff at Burnt Oak.

Glad to see you're still about

cheers

Marc Abbott

·
Gerald Lambourn
1,006 Posts
I have a Model Cars of July 1968 to hand that shows Master Wells as part of the Jontec team in a six hour event at Battersea Grammar School. Even better is the Tech-Chart for the Model Cars Dyna Rewind series where John also gets a mention. Of course the most surprising thing from that is that anglewinders are starting to show, John Veasey, but we can't use them in the pre-1972 Vintage events. I don't understand. Gerald.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts