SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name's Mark and I currently live in Bath, in the south-west of England.

I first came across slot-racing when I was 10, in 1965, during a visit to my late Father's Aunt & Uncle.

His significantly younger, and wealthier, cousins had a room in which they had constructed a routed hardboard circuit, using copper tape for the 'rails', of significant size.

I was immediately taken by not only the thrill of racing the 1/32 scale cars but also by how they had constructed many of them themselves. I particularly remember them having an Auto Union Type D, Mercedes W125 and Bentley 4.5 litre, along with others.

My interest in motor racing had been stirred by my maternal Grandfather, who would regale me with tales of the pre-war greats he'd seen, and then he and my Father taking me to the 1964 European GP at Brands Hatch, which Jim Clark won.

My own slot-racing commenced at Christmas 1966, when my younger brother and I were given a four-lane Scalextric set with two Porsche and, I think, two BMR cars, in red, yellow, blue and green.

I can remember lusting after Monogram and Cox slot-car kits in the model shop near my grandparent's sweet shop on Moulsham Street in Chelmsford, when we would visit on a Saturday, but it was a shop nearer our home in Hornchurch that my father took my brother and I to, where we bought our first kits, after having done some research in Model Cars magazine.

My brother chose a Porsche Carrera 6, with an open-frame type motor and Ackerman front steering, while I opted for a Riko Chaparral 2E, with Rikoflash motor.

From there, my school-friend Tony invited me to join the Hornchurch MRC, where his father, Len Manwaring who then edited the Observer Book of Cars, was a senior member.

While never particularly successful, I enjoyed racing and building cars and went on doing so until fifty years ago, when R'n'R and mechanic-ing for a karting neighbour took my attention away.

So now I find myself on the cusp of retirement with a three and a half year old grandson and the thoughts of maybe, just maybe, starting up again and came across this site after Googling the Hornchurch club.

I look forward to catching up on what's happened since I last held a controller and am glad to have been accepted here.

· Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi, Leo & Dave, thanks for the welcome
smile.png

Funnily enough, Leo, I left Hornchurch for Edinburgh in 1973 to study, living up there for about 15 years and still have ties with the place!

And, yes, Dave, I arrived in Bath too late to see that track - a shame as Percy's Boy's Centre's just down the street from where I first stayed in the city!

Small world but, as Spike Milligan said, I wouldn't like to have to paint it
biggrin.png

· Eddie Grice
2,423 Posts
Welcome back to the hobby Mark.
Gerald Lambourne on here (SFI) was a Hornchurch club member.
Dave, thanks for the Bath track photos, some familiar faces there. I never got the hang of "driving" those esses shown in the last photo and still have problems with simmilar ones on the new Netley track.
Both Bath and Netley tracks are driven going away and coming towards the drivers rostrum. Perhaps that's my problem?
Eddie

· Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gerald Lambourn on here (SFI) was a Hornchurch club member.
Dave, thanks for the Bath track photos, some familiar faces there. I never got the hang of "driving" those esses shown in the last photo and still have problems with simmilar ones on the new Netley track.
Both Bath and Netley tracks are driven going away and coming towards the drivers rostrum. Perhaps that's my problem?
Eddie
Thanks, Eddie
smile.png

Yes, I saw that there was a Hornchurch member here when I Googled the club, though have to confess that I don't remember his name - all so very long ago!

· Premium Member
1,302 Posts
My own slot-racing commenced at Christmas 1966, when my younger brother and I were given a four-lane Scalextric set with two Porsche and, I think, two BMR cars, in red, yellow, blue and green.

I look forward to catching up on what's happened since I last held a controller and am glad to have been accepted here.
Welcome back, hope your return brings back fond memories and creates even fonder new ones.

When this group of four cars was purchased years ago, the seller described them as coming from the Scalextric '80' Set. Wonderful cars, great fun to drive.

Tire Skateboard Wheel Wood Gas

Attachments

· Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Gerald Lambourne on here (SFI) was a Hornchurch club member.
Eddie
Stewart Wyatt's track at the "holiday camp" in Torbay also had the drivers positioned at the end of the straight. Just to add to the fun, as the track was built in a old "shower" unit the floor sloped. So you drove up hill along the straights away from the drivers, and down hill along the straights, back towards the drivers rostrum.

Attachments

· Alan Tadd
4,042 Posts
Hi Mark

I also live in Bath and raced at the Bath Club in the seventies, when it was a proper track with an enormous banking at the end of the long straight. The one shown in the photographs must be a later or possibly easier incarnation the Club track..

Your nearest club is Avon Slot Car Club which is located at Longwell Green just the other side of Bitton. We obviously are not racing at the moment but as soon as possible we will be restarting. If your interested in coming along to see what we are up to you are more than welcome. As well as us oldies we also have several young members we are encouraging for the future. We have cars and controllers for you to try your hand at.

Kind Regards

Alan

· Autoavia
1,300 Posts
Thanks Andy. I didn't realise they were also ex Hornchurch racers. Seems there are still quite a few ex Hornchurch members racing.

With Estuary Equipe and the commercial tracks at MRDC and Wonderland in Southend this little corner of Essex was quite a hotbed for slot racing in the 60s.

I found another thread where forum member Mark50 said he was a Hornchurch member and now lives in Cornwall. He is a regular at CSCRA meetings and Double Trouble at Rockingham.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts