SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm pretty new to slot car racing and i'm looking to get involved. I've always liked them but I never had one as a kid. Most of my mates had them,but they were the crappy $20 jobs and I think we spent more time trying to get the cars to go than we did actually racing.

Anyway,I went down to my local model shop (www.acornmodels.co.nz) and asked the guy for a bit of info. He said Scalextric or SCX was the best way to go. They had a nice Rally Australia set that I was pretty keen on,so I said i'll think about it and come back later.

So now i'm here and I have a few questions:

1)What do you guys think is the best way to go for a newbie who's looking to get into the "sport" and take things further in the future?

2)Can the F1 cars race on the Rally sets?

3)Is there anything else I should know?

Cheers guys and thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Welcome JQHNO!

I see no reason why F1 cars can't run on the rally set - unless there's some off road type track in there with lumps and bumps etc.?

You may want to see if there's a local club you can go to as well. Racing at home can be fun, but a club can give you opinions, advice and help, not to mention the social aspect. A bit like SLotForum really

Enjoy!

Mark.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Welcome to SF and the addictive world of slot cars.

What to buy - all tracks are good as you can race on them. However it is worth browsing the forums for opinions on diff track manafacturers.

The future - could be digital and if this floats your boat then again have a quick browse thur the forums and the resources section that review the SCx system and previewed the forthcoming Scalextric system.

Worth gathering as much info as possible before plunging but whatever you choose it will be good.

Anyway my recomendation would be to get Scalextric Sport as a track system and then if you want to go digital or even incorporate Ninco or SCX track in to it then you can with track adaptors. The only thing I would say - if you buy a set you will be tempted to buy lots more cars but the first thing you should invest in is another power pack so each lane has an independent power supply and better controllers.

Please ask any questions you have even if you feel they are too simple although it is worth browinsing the boards (use the search facility) as there is an abundance of info on here already..

Matt

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I don't think that will be a problem. Just look at some of the "retro" car projects on here - no digital or anything else new. Just standard slot racing as it has been for years
Looking at the set you mention - I'd say yes F1 should run on it - there's no rough track in there.

Cheers,

Mark.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Any scenic sheep or rabbits in that Rally Australia set?
Maybe even a surpise Roo that jumps out in front of you at random?

Just a thought that popped into my head.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Swissracer @ 7 Apr 2004, 08:07)Any scenic sheep or rabbits in that Rally Australia set?
Maybe even a surpise Roo that jumps out in front of you at random?

Just a thought that popped into my head.

No unfortunately. The sheep would have been a help because my plan is to take that set build off it and make a Rally of New Zealand set-up.

Well from the above you'll be able to tell that I have the Rally of Australia set now. At the moment I just have it set up on the lounge floor in a oval for lot's of high speed action

1 - 7 of 7 Posts