SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm hoping someone on here can help me. We had a large Scalextric set from the 1970's in the loft and recently tried to set it up for the grandchildren. The transformer didn't work after all this time. so we decided to buy a new Start set to get a new transformer. Needless to say the new set didn't work with the old set, so we bought some converter connecting tracks. They all fitted together well, but the racing cars stop running on the old track. We have cleaned up the old track. The power must be running through everything for the cars to work on the new track. Is there something that we are not doing? Please can someone help me.

Barbara

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
When you say you cleaned it up, was it corroded? If so then the track to track connections are probably the issue - you would need to clean inside each connection which is near impossible.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you check the end contacts on the track and make sure they are clean then you need to try and clean inside the sockets they go into - you can try with a small screwdriver with some light wet and dry emery paper attached to it - that can work, if not try pushing some tinfoil in as you connect the track sections together to help get a better electrical contact.
You can always solder a link wire to each electrical strip underneath the track but that will only work if you can leave the track sections permanently connected together.
Its very much trial and error, but electrical continuity is almost definitely the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Hi Barbara,

As has been said in the previous post, the problem is 95% certain to be (lack of) electrical conductivity. The rail's surface that the car's pick-ups travel over, needs to be free of rust, dirt and debris. (If it looks shiney, then you should be OK.) The connection between the track pieces also needs to be good. Tin foil to help the connection is useful and and using a screw-driver to tighten the connection can also work. (Put the screw-driver in the gap between the rails at the track joinit and then tilt the screw-driver so the blade forces the metal connections between the track pieces together....if you see what I mean!!?!!) Turn of the power to the track before doing this.

The other possibility is a short circuit, i.e. if a bit of metal is linking the two rails. However, this usually stops all car movement on the whole track, not just a section of the track.

Good luck and I hope your grand-children appreciate your hard work!!

Philip

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you to all of you for being so helpful. The track was slightly corroded that's why I cleaned it up, but I didn't think to really clean the connections between the pieces. I will give them a good clean up and try again. We have quite a lot of track, so I think it will be worth the hard work to get it all connected.
We also have a lot of old cars that went with the track. I may come back to you for help about getting them to work again. I need to get some new tyres for them all, as they have deteriorated.
Thanks again everyone. I'll let you know how I get on
Barbara

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Since no one has mentioned it before.... here is a link to a segment called "Slap my slotcar" on this forum.

The link is to the track maintenance portion which may give you some visual guidance when restoring the track.

Let us know how it goes!

Also, check out the threads on this forum about INOX for improving the track conductivity.

Cheers!

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you decide on new tyres look on the internet for a guy called Wayne Allen Slot Products . Tyres can cost more than the value of the car but he does good tyres at a very reasonable price.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Welcome Barbara,
Many here will be thinking that the old 'Classic' track just isn't worth the time and bother to refurbish, especially if it's a bit bowed & warped too.
Maybe consider just keeping the best stuff, and see if you can pick a cheap 2nd hand set locally (to avoid postage costs) on ebay, which has the newer 'Sport' track. It's possible to pick up sets or boxes of track for £20-30. Super Resistant Scalextric cars are plentiful and really good value, especially for the mass produced models like the Audi TT, Porsche Boxster & Mini
For the cars, this place is good for spare parts:

Scalextric Car Restorations

And remember, you only really need to replace the back tyres for the cars to work well.
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'd echo what Richard said about the track . I nearly included it in my post but I noticed you had already bought a "Start" set . The "Sport" is the most modern track but with your combination of Classic & Start you would have conversion pieces all over the place as none are compatible with the other.
If you buy carefully you can find Classic track in "As New" condition & this will already fit your layout . If you decide on "Sport" I'd probably sell the "Start" and junk most of the classic track !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts