SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have just started getting into scalextrics again, i had one as a kid and loved it my dad made it me, it had the works!

now i have moved into my own house i have spent the last few weeks boarding the loft out and putting electrics up there,

i have managed to get hold of over 130 pieces of track to lay in the loft, (from tomorrow My birthday)

i have lots of questions but ill try not to be too annoying lol

si

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Hi Si,
It sounds like you've got your priorities right!
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks kev

would some one do me a favor, i have a subaru from while ago and it seems very intermittent on track, if i took some pictures of the pick ups would someone be able to tell if there is something i can do to make it work better?

it seems if i pressed down at the front it works better :s

thanks
si

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Hi Si,

Welcome to the forum. Many of the people here are like yourself (and me!) and came back to the hobby after a break. It is great that you have the loft sorted so you can leave a track in place and "play" as you like.

If a car is reluctant to move it might be either the car's pick up braids need replacing, the track connections are poor or the track needs a clean.

Cheers and good luck,

Philip

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Si
Hello and welcome, the scoobie needs the braids changed those ones are very stiff and need throwing away, the other car needs the replaceable guides and should be available from local toy shops.
Unfortunatley the fact that you have cleaned the track doesnt mean it works continuity is not good on scalex does the car run all the way around the track or does it always stop in the same place?, if you PM me I can give you some hints away from the forum.
Regards
Zen

·
Jim Moyes
5,077 Posts
QUOTE (zendragon @ 18 May 2011, 11:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if you PM me I can give you some hints away from the forum.
Regards
Zen

Why is that necessary?

Any help given to people on here is better in the open so that it can be referred to in future.

Simon,

Welcome to the forum.

The guide on your Subaru is not an SCX one. It looks to be one of the early Hornby Scalextric Easyfit guides that are notoriously difficult to get to connect with the old fashioned wire and eyelet system. SCX have since dropped this design and now use a brass contact strip with a sprung guide arrangement, as on the Audi LeMans car you have. This may make the correct guide for your Subaru difficult to obtain. However, a Ninco guide will fit and you should not encounter the problems you have been seeing. Guides for the SCX Audi and the Ninco range are available from respectable suppliers such as the ones who support the forum with their sponsorship.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi thank you for that Mr.M

would it be possible for you to give me a link to the actual blade which i need for the subaru ill probably not get the audi fixed and use the motor for something else, we shall see

thanks

·
Jim Moyes
5,077 Posts
Here is a list of the current Slotforum advertisers.

You are looking for 80104 Ninco standard guides or 80106 Ninco guides with suspension (sprung guide). Both are sold in a pack of 4. Depending on which track type you are using you may want to remove a tiny slither from the bottom of the guide to stop it hitting on the bottom of the slot.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
I think I've got one of those Subarus, and it's a bit temperamental...

Because it's 4wd and rests on all 4 wheels, with the braids being quite flat they don't contact the rails very well, especially on tight corners.
I'm going to roll the braids a bit to give them a bit of spring... but having said that yours doesn't look like that would make much difference.
Could be worth tidying the braids a bit, lubricating the running gear and checking wiring for a break?
Cheers
Richard

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
Lubricating = Oiling the running gear

So you will need to oil the bearing surfaces in the bearings where the axle goes through, the crownwheel where the motorshaft locate, the pinion and plastic gear.

Just a very small drop will do! Something like 3in1 oil is fine - or WD40 or something similar. Best applied by putting a drop on some plastic and then use a micro screwdriver, or cocktail stick anything small will do, to transfer to the model.

You can purchase braid (I think the guides MrM has mentioned come with braid anyway though) if you want to replace the old stuff. I can be bought by the metre from the list of advertisers.

Lastly
as you are in Chesterfield there are a couple of clubs nearby. Gainsborough is possibly just about the nearest where you can meet people to race on a Thursday evening and learn a whole lot more!! If you can get up to the Rotherham/Maltby there is the possibility of a lift.

Don't forget the Slotfest at Gaydon this weekend. Plenty to look and learn there with the manufacturers supporting the event. I know a few people from near you that would probably be willing to offer a seat in return for a little fuel money. - Just PM me if you want me to let them know.

Otherwise welcome and have FUN

And Happy Birthday!

·
Registered
612 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Croker @ 19 May 2011, 08:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lubricating = Oiling the running gear

Lastly
as you are in Chesterfield there are a couple of clubs nearby. Gainsborough is possibly just about the nearest where you can meet people to race on a Thursday evening and learn a whole lot more!! If you can get up to the Rotherham/Maltby there is the possibility of a lift.

I'm from Chesterfield too and have just started racing 1/32 scale, (as well as HO scale at Stretton). There aren't any clubs too close, the closest being Quorn at Loughborough where I've been a couple of times, which is slightly nearer than Gainsborough and a lot quicker to get to, however I'm hoping to try out Gainsborough shortly, maybe this week so I can compare the two.
If you want to race maybe we can share travel costs?

what we really need is a club in Chesterfield, or at very least, the Nottingham one to start up again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts