SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im looking for your advice on purchasing my own tyre turer. I've been looking at the products from NSR, Hudy, Area 3 and ScaleAuto, and all seem to have their own pro's and cons.

Im particularly interested in the ScaleAuto truer, does anyone know if the tyres can be rubbed together, as can be done on the NSR truer?

Finally, what would you recommend out of the four manufactuers named above, and what have you found out?

Regards
Jon

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
I have been involved in grinding rubber rollers etc for many years,with shore hardness down to 35 shore. All the machines we used and all the machines in the factories I have visited have the grinding wheels OR the abrasive rotating to reduce any heat build up!
The moving abrasive also reduces any rubber dust build up on the surface of the rubber being ground.
You also need to be able to change the grit of the cutting medium easily to give a good polished finish.

·
re member
4,179 Posts
I had a look at a new scaleauto truer the other day. I think the owner had changed the drum for a course grit one. The angled seam where the backing joins was lumpy.
Didnt think it looked good at all.
I'll stick with my old favourite.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Do you want to true tyres on removable wheels or wheels that remain fixed on the axle.

For wheels that remain fixed on the axle the Area 3 or similar is best.

For removable wheels - What size axles do you want to use?
It's important the bearings / axles / wheels are all the correct size.

The ILPE truer available Chas Keeling SCD lists at somewhat cheaper than the rest, ILPE are a top quality supplier.
Of the drum type sanders, Hudy is the most commonly used, and is widely praised. The quality of the Hudy sanding drum is excellent, and that's important!

·
Tel
4,090 Posts
I can say I haven't regretted buying my Area 3, but as someone on another thread said, this Ilpe Tyre truer half way down the page, looks fantastic value, and the webshop owner is very helpful

I haven't tried one but looks a good bit of kit.
If you don't need to true wheels fixed on axles, I'd go for that, otherwise the Area 3 gets my vote.

·
Greg Gaub
15,347 Posts
I agree with Tel.

It's pretty simple, really. If you have primarily plastic wheels off stock cars, most of which are pressed onto knurled axles, then you want a "whole axle" machine like the Area 3 or Tire Razor (both currently available) or the RSM (which the previous ones are modeled after). If you have primarily metal wheels on smooth axles that are easy to remove and replace, especially if they're all on the same size axles (like mostly slot.it cars, etc), then a Hudy, NSR, ILPE, or other "off axle" truer is the way to go. One advantage those systems often have is a "set and forget" design that lets you start the process, and come back when it's done. You can't do that with the "whole axle" type because you have to keep moving the sanding plate. Still, I prefer the whole axle type, because it has saved me a fortune not having to replace every wobbly wheel my "cheap" cars come with.
Once you decide which type you want/need, the decision usually comes down to price.

G

·
One of the things you'll have to consider is the availability of spare replacements parts. If you want to replace the sanding drum (or disk) it is nice that you can easily buy it and you don't need to wait for weeks until the producer decides to make some new parts. I remember long treads on the German forum from people who were desperately waiting for parts to be delivered, and it took over two years to produce the next batch of the RSM.

That's why I choose the Hudy, you can easily get your spares from several shops. Also because it is one of the favorites of the RC guys and it has been around for a long time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jon,

Maybe too late but ...

I have used:

- Hudy: Everything is black, it is very hard to see what you are doing. Motor draws quite a bit of amps. Stock adjustment screw has a very limited range; to true 1/24 wheels you will need to replace it. Does not come stock with a "set" screw. Only trues one 1/32 tire at a time. Sanding drum is very coarse and there are no finer grits available. Needs an adjustable power supply. Trues 3/32, 1/8 and 3mm wheels.

- Area 3: Very awkward operation. You need to make sure that the sanding pad/sandpaper is leveled on both sides; as well as the arm that lowers the axle. Great for plastic wheels mounted on knurled axles. Needs an adjustable power supply. Can true any type of wheel (3/32, 1/8, 3mm, etc.).

- Razor: same as the Area 3 but the "V" where you insert the bushings is not machined - you will need file that "V" until it is leveled.

- Scaleauto: Trues 2 tires at once. Can be powered by a fixed 12V power supply (5 amps) or car battery - the unit has a built-in "rheostat". Four grits of sanding paper available: 80, 120, 150 and 180. Trues 3/32, 1/8 and 3mm wheels. To true wheels with glued inserts (the axle does not go through the wheel) you will need to buy a second set of axles for the truer and shorten them; without doing so, the tire will not be fully in contact with the sanding drum.

- Slot Cars Technology: Trues 2 tires at once. Requires an adjustable power supply; higher volts (15) but less amperage (2). Axles are made in 2 parts: axle holder, and axle. Axles are available in 2 sizes: long, to true 2 wheels at once; and short, to true a single wheel (no need to remove inserts). There are 6 available axle sizes: 2.38mm (3/32); 2.37mm (NSR); 2.48mm (Ninco); 2.40mm (Spirit/Fly); 3mm; and 1/8. The unit comes with 2 axle sizes (can't remember which). Three grits of sanding paper available: 120, 150 and 180. When using the long axle, both sides of the axle are supported by ball-bearings.

If it was possible, I would have the Slot Cars Technology truer with the "rheostat" part of the Scaleauto; since that is not possible, I would recommend the Slot Cars Technology truer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.