SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi All

Bit of advice thanks, I have stuffed up big time I think. I went to the shop to get some Inox MX3 but they didn't have any so I ended up getting MX4 same as 3 but has Lanolin in it to guard against rust. My question is I cleaned the track with it (OMG Does it really get that dirty that quick
) but our last race night was the same as wet weather and everything was slippery and if I had a safety car it would be out for ages and Alonso would get another victory. Cars times were changed dramaticly and although it was good for a change I want my track "dry weather" again.

Any suggestions on getting the MX4 off, and a word of warning to all Lanolin is very slippery but does protect your track from rust and makes for wet weather effects

Brett

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
MX3 also has lanolin in it - but in different concentrations to MX4.

You should only apply MX3 to the rails and very sparingly - wrap a cloth around your finger, spray the cloth 2 or 3 times then wipe the rails, trying to keep it off the plastic.

Very little Inox goes a LONG way.

You will probably have to clean the plastic surface with either a spirit based cleaner OR a cloth with soapy water - wrung out so it is damp. Once cleaned and dry - re-treat the metal rails only and with MX3 if you can get some

·
Greg Gaub
15,413 Posts
I think MX4 has teflon in it, or something, so will be even more slippery if you overdo it.
As others have said, it's very important to only apply to the rails, and remove any excess immediately.

·
Administrator
10,170 Posts
If there is teflon in it then you really are stuffed. You could try to clean it piece by piece with some aggressive agent, but teflon is really difficult to get rid of, you might want to consider painting the surface.

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
Providing you can find a paint that will stick to a non-stick surface

Edit: I found this website that shows there is little difference between Inox MX4 and Inox MX3 so you can still use the MX4 on your rails. MX4 is for heavy duty applications which seems to imply it has a higher lanolin content. It doesn't mention Teflon. Lanolin is actually a wax - which is why it is tough to shift.

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,293 Posts
Clean with a rag, some isopropyl alcohol and lots of elbow grease. You need to dry out the oils in the lanolin and lift the whole lot off your track surface.

If it is REALLY bad and it is Sport track (not classic) you can wash it with hot soapy water. Don't dunk them in the sink, but use a flannel or dish cloth, but ring it out pretty well before attacking the track. Dry each washed piece thoroughly before washing the next!

Recoat the rails by applying a little spray to a cloth and gently rubbing the rails, or use the lazy boy method that I employ, and put a few drops on the braids of an old car and run for about 5 laps. Recoat and do the other lane(s).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts