SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a newbie on the forum and would really appreciate it if someone can help me to identify a VW Beetle slot car. The model itself is not crude, having reasonably good detail eg Dunlop imprinted on tyres, but unfortunately there are no makers markings anywhere on the car. So if you have seen one of these before, I would really appreciate your help.

Photos:

VW Beetle Picture 1
VW Beetle Picture 1

Many Thanks

·
Jim Moyes
5,075 Posts
The red bits are from an Airfix Jaguar E-type slot car. You can see the tops of the seats through the side window. I would guess that the body is also Airfix - from their static range - but can't be sure about that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thts brilliant, thanks for the reply, I think the back wheels used to be red too, just the colour has worn off. I was searching eveywhere for an answer to this, and looked at the possibility it may have been Airfix, just not custom one.

·
Jim Moyes
5,075 Posts
The back wheels threw me briefly, as the Jag I have in front of me doesn't have "knock offs" moulded in like yours. I'd guess they could be painted silver as they are moulded in red, so the colour can't really "wear off".

Interesting that the Beetle and E-type have the same wheelbase, I wonder if that's true in 1:1 scale

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ican just see red under the silver or silver under the red on the back wheels but now you mention it it does look like the silver has started to come of the red rather that the other way round.

I thought the E Type was quite a long car - the bonnet looks as long as a VW Beetle
, surely cant have the same wheelbase as a Beetle?? But you never know. Thanks for your help with this.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
A quick Google gives the Beetle 94.5" and the E type 96" on wheelbase...which corresponds to less than 1/16 of an inch on a 1/32 car. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here holding a static Airfix Beetle up to a static Airfix E type...and the difference is over 1/8 inch (about .160).
So there's that...close in Airfix world, and even closer in 1:1.

John

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
re: "So the Beetle and the E Type are pretty much the same length"

just to be clear...the jag is quite a bit longer than the Beetle...it's just the distance between the front and rear wheel centers that are similar.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts