SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I was delighted to see an encouraging response to the similar "Help me choose an F1 for the club championship" topic, (which I will continue at some point).

However, more menacingly, a one-off race looms in two weeks time and I personally chose one of the classes without giving it much, if any, deep thought! It is for any non-formula 1 Carrera car , box standard, although I don't think anyone will object to tyre truing or gluing down of bushings etc. Might get away with a guide swap if thought necessary.

Have any of you experience of seriously racing Carreras, new or old and may I ask for your thoughts, please? Reminder - the track is about 150 feet of SCX plastic with an 'interesting' combination of horrifyingly fast straights broken up by typically home set curves and irritating chicanes! So the car needs to be a 'good all-rounder' and with the ability to withstand extremely prejudical nerfing in the Goodwood Chicane!

Of the new chassised models, I already have an Enzo, an Aston Martin Vanquish and a few Audis and Bentleys. What a surprise(!) and I expect most of my rivals to be running one of that last pair. I also have a few older odds'n'sods, such as Mustangs, Corvettes, D Type and some older Yank Tanks. I anticipate being told to forget about these but am open to suggestion. I am also quite prepared to buy another new model if someone convinces me it is the car I need - whatever the heck it takes to put one over on those speed crazed morons down at the club!

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Quote from Model Car Racing magazine, January-February 2004 Vol. 3, No. 1:-

Can a 1954 3.4 liter D-Type Jaguar with about 285 horsepower beat a 2002 F1 car with 900 horsepower, when both weigh about the same but the F1 car has about ten-times the rubber on the road? If the two models come from Carrera, in our tests, the Jag is quicker than any other out-of-the-box 1/32 scale car.

I'd love to read Mope's reaction to this....

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Oh nice one, Russell!

Carrera's latest D type instantly zooms to top of the short list for new acquisitions.

Just a late thought - I imagine that was running on smooth, deep slot Carrera . . .
Hmm . . . deep thought required now.

·
Registered
773 Posts
...due to the excellent tires, the new Jag is quicker than the LMP's on Carrera - where the track has not so much grip! And this car is not so heavy - so if you're racing ootb with mag's it's a good joice!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
If you can, try the Plymouth Hemi 'cuda custom (metallic purple with yellow flashes). Thanks to the twin mag setup it sticks great to Slot Tech's track. Besides, with it back end jacked up on big wheels it looks so unweildy it may scare the opposition into mistakes!

I like the street machines, they make a welcome change from racers. Needless to say the black Pontiac GTO with flames on the bonnet is in my collection too, as is the satin black Dodge Charger 500

Mark.

·
Registered
263 Posts
QUOTE (Russell Sheldon @ 26 Jan 2004, 02:05 PM)Quote from Model Car Racing magazine, January-February 2004 Vol. 3, No. 1:-

Can a 1954 3.4 liter D-Type Jaguar with about 285 horsepower beat a 2002 F1 car with 900 horsepower, when both weigh about the same but the F1 car has about ten-times the rubber on the road? If the two models come from Carrera, in our tests, the Jag is quicker than any other out-of-the-box 1/32 scale car.

I'd love to read Mope's reaction to this....

Exactly the car I was going to suggest.

I've seen footage of one quite comfortably out running an MG Lola.

Super faaaast!

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Sorry if this is off topic but;

QUOTE I've seen footage of one quite comfortably out running an MG Lola.

... this just shouldn't happen damn it.

I'm sad, I'm old, I'm outta touch with what UK Johnnie wants no doubt but a D Type should drift around bends and not be glued to the rails.

And it should have a NC-1 equivalent motor, not some breathed on, track melting lump.

Okay, I'll get me coat....

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Wankel, yes it IS off topic - gercha, you Luddite!

But . . .
It's MY topic and we can have a gentle meander along the way if we feel like it - mainly because I very strongly empathize with the Wankel view!

However, empathy not withstanding, if I am going to actually race against similarly equipped mutant magnetic monsters, pragmatically, what choice is there but to go along with it? For this purpose, it does seem that the D type Jag is the way to go. It should share all the same improved running gear of it's latest and best Carrera buddies, but with the added advantage of probably being a little lower and lighter than any of them. If no one comes up with a better idea, I'll order one in time for the race. The red one looks pretty - got to have something I can recognize at 30 feet distance while scuttling along at a scale 600 mph!

Actually, with a good hefty magnet up its jaxie, more or less cancelling out all natural forces, I am not sure that being just a little lower and lighter will actually make any significant difference. Would anyone like to comment on that?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tropi,
I have lapped as quick as my Scalextric MG Lola with my Enzos on Sport track, they are really quick and forgiving as far as sliding.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I`m all ears (or eyes) on this topic as I freely admit to not having a clue how to get Carrera competitive. In fact I thought that was a contradiction in terms. Thomas keeps promising but........

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Jon
The latest Carreras are VERY good!
Possibly not all in the same league as Scalextric, but some are coming very close and there are rumours that some are the equal and the odd one maybe even better performing. That's one of the reasons I picked this class - to allow/force the club guys to get theirs on the track (they all have one or two) and find out what they are really like. naturally I want to take any advantage I can get by choosing the right one! Ditto the reason for bringing it up on the forum - we are a bunch of fuddy duddies with a tendency to stick to the same old cars all the time. Some of us are even one-make wonders! It's time we were a bit more adventurous.

I have posted on this elsewhere too and the feedback is VERY similar - these new chassis cars are WAY better than most people realize and the D type is right at the top of the pile. One of our number is going to try to do a comparative test on a new D type and a Ferrari - I hope it comes off. No, I will rephrase - I hope it happens! After that it's just down to my driving!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well being a comparative sort of bloke I was curious to see what was quickest round my rather modest home track, and out of all my cars five were equal(I'm using a scalextric lap counter so only accurate to a tenth of a second),

Carrera Audi R8 1.8sec (from the box set I got for £30)
Scalextric MG Lola 1.8sec
Fly Viper 1.8sec*
SCX Dome Judd 1.8 sec
Scalextric Mustang 1.8 sec

Strangely the Bently was a shade slower at 1.9sec, I thought the Carreras were a bit slow off the mark(pretty smooth with it thought) but once they get(or at least mine) rolling they seem quick enough,

*My viper is a good few year old now and is not quite so fresh as it used to be, so I'reckon in it's youth it be a bit quicker,

Sunny

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Cheers Tropi and Rob. Will road test the Jag if it is an improvement on the previous releases. The Enzo gets hammered on the Phoenix club Circuit so here`s hoping

Good point Tropi about the same cars being used over and over. We are having a big re think at the mo and recently introduced a seperate GT2 class for the slower GT types. All non mag of course for the Senior race nite but one class with and one without mag for dads N lads nite

Lots of Mexicans cos that`s the Dads N Lads nickname, they spend most the nite doing Mex waves as the leader goes by!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I assume you are all running new chassis type cars? Of the new chassis cars the D-type is probably top of the heap, but I also have the Aston Martin vanquish with the new chassis & it's no slouch either. A good driver should be able to be compeat with the Jags albeit it will be a challange. I have not run the new Mustang (red one) yet, but if it has the new chassis I would guess that it would be game also. The new Porsches might be off the pace a tiny bit, but a little massaging (within the rules of course) might yield positive results.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
and another vote for the 'D' Type!

OR

If you want good response and driveability WITH the old chassis (yes it DID happen) go for the 'T' Bird.
Best of the lot (classic wise) pre new chassis. It is comparable to the 'D' type out of the box.

On another note - correct though the premise is...

PLEASE don't start complaining about Carrera for being too fast! we spent a good couple of years slagging them off for being too slow!

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
and another vote for the 'D' Type!

OR

If you want good response and driveability WITH the old chassis (yes it DID happen) go for the 'T' Bird.
Best of the lot (classic wise) pre new chassis. It is comparable to the 'D' type out of the box.

On another note - correct though the premise is...

PLEASE don't start complaining about Carrera for being too fast! we spent a good couple of years slagging them off for being too slow!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Just a quick one before I leave for club race day.
I received my nice red D Type a few days ago but have been busy. So it was only this morning that I gave it a gentle static run on the bench.
Two things hit me instantly.
1. For all its nice brass axle bushings, this car has more axle SLOP than anything I have ever seen in recent years - it's absolutely appalling.
2. One rear wheel is so badly mounted on the axle that it shows more wobble and thrash than any other car I have in my possession. I do not believe it is fixable without fitting a new wheel which actually has its axle hole in the CENTRE! The only reasonable cure is a complete back end replacement with wheels that have both been checked before despatch.

Given that this particular model was carefully chosen for its raceability and bought specifically for one reason only - to RACE, I am pretty peed off about it. I feel that this standard of product is completely unacceptable. I would be interested in other members' comments on action to take. I would be particularly interested in dealer comments and I would be most particularly interested in comments from the midlands, where this car originated.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hi Tropi,

I have two Carrera 'd' types, one old chassis, one new, and they are both exceptional runners

The car that you received is clearly faulty, and I recommend taking the matter up, politely but firmly, with the supplying dealer at the earliest instance

-Rob

·
Registered
420 Posts
It is always unfortunate to get a car like that. I have four of these Jags (different liveries ofcourse...) and they are all quite reasonable runners. Yours might have been a monday version - But problems with Carrera axles have occured before - as far as I can tell customers have been sent new axles from Carrera before without problems. Your dealer should ask his distributor to send you an exchange part. To bad about the start - hopefully it will be sorted out in a good fashion.

//p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts