SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
My club has decided that our Fortnightly Sunday race meetings will include two classes that will remain standard for the whole season and I'd like to glean a few ideas from forum members on one of them in particular.

One of these classes will be Formula 1, ANY make and, so far, no limitations on motor and magnet etc. However, the power supply is limited in that each pair of lanes shares the output from an ancient blue cylindrical Scalextric tranformer/rectifier and I THINK the capacity is just 12 volts at 1 or possibly 1.2 amps. So this effectively limits any potential advantage from upgraded motors and monstrous magnets.

The track is SCX - with several long straights, the longest being around 22 feet, but standard radius curves. So a mixture of very high and very low speeds.

My tentative thoughts at this time are to run Scalextric rather than any other make. I am considering a Sport Toyota, because no one else has one and at least I will know which is my car! The BEST drivers prefer them without the button magnet for max speed, but I suspect I should keep mine in, as staying on track is more important for my skill level. Other than that, I am thinking of keeping everything standard, but I would love to have everyone's ideas and thoughts.
Let's hear them!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Tropi,
Based on my experience with our group, I would go with the Toyota Sport WITHOUT the button magnet. I run mine with the bar magnet in the rearmost position.

We run on Scaley Classsic and I have found that the button magnet puts a little to much extra "drag" on the car, particularly on longer straights. This car has plenty of torque to power out of the curves.

Another consideration, does your car have rain tires or regular grooved ones? I found that the rain tires don't work as well. Traction seems better on the grooved ones.

These are great cars to run and are always very competitive!! Enjoy!

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
222 Posts
Try a Ninco (preferably the original Ferrari or Jordan if you can find one ) Fit a NC5 motor. You can tune the downforce by adjusting the forward chassis screw, if you loosen it the magnet can be moved closer to the track. I dont know if the latest Ninco releases have a similar chassis but if so use the same "trick".
Gjb52

·
Registered
979 Posts
I would say for pure fun try a Ninco Stewart F1 - compared to other F1 cars it's probably rubbish in terms of performance but a good laugh (lots of tail action!).

Gecko

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Try the new SCX Jaguar F1 car.

It's longer chassis makes it agreat racer, with or without the motor.

On a Ninco track with magnet it beats most things hands down, on wooden track it's a handfull, but great fun (the extra chassis length helps here) belive or not i have not tried it on SCX track!

My only advise would be to run the motor in well and keep it oiled.

Good luck

Jexy1

·
Registered
230 Posts
QUOTE ANY make and, so far, no limitations on motor and magnet etc.

Ohhh, I would fun with this rule.........

Here's what seems to be the best at our club. Take any recent SCX F-1, and promptly remove the motor. The 2 motors that work the best here are the stock Carrera motor, or the Fly racing motor (or any motor that is similar in style). You might have to do just a little trimming to get the motor further back. Set the gear lash up properly, and using a hot glue gun, glue the motor in.
You may want to consider getting rid of the brass rails used to supply the current, and somehow run wires from the guide to the motor. I haven't done this with mine yet, but I'm not too keen on the stock set-up. Maybe keep the brass rails to provide a spring for the guide, but use wires to keep a good connection to the motor.
Now you've got the speed, now to keep it on the track. With the SCX cars, it's simply a matter of raising or lowering the magnet using the 2 screws that hold it. Want more speed? Raise the magnet. Want more stick? Lower the magnet. Once you get it where you're comfortable, you should be just about unbeatable. Unless, of course, someone esle has one.

On SCX track, I believe the stock tires will be fine. Too soft, and the rough SCX track will chew 'em up.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't responded yet, but please keep it coming fellas.
Today is Friday and I am going to spend some time studying all the proposals as of this evening.

Just a quicky on Dennis' otherwise excellent suggestion of a Falcon motor - I think the limited current supply will cancel this out, Dennis. I reckon a Falcon needs around a whole amp to itself and the two PSUs that the club use share around 1 to 1.2 amps over two lanes each (four lane total). Unfortunately the club is 70 miles away and it's not easy for me to go and check the details - I should have done so at the last meeting but, like an idiot, forgot!

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Does your club track run brakes, Tropi ? If not then I think you will find a standard SCX Jaguar will be hard to beat.

Also I would just like to ask that people don't make comments like " the trouble with Ninco, is that the steering ALWAYS gets snapped off". Liphook club owns two Ferraris and two Jordans, bought years ago when they first came out, are raced by everybody on a round robin basis, on a 100ft board track with no brakes and have not broken a spoiler between them let alone snap the steering!

Mr.M

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I agree with Mr M..

I have 4 Ninco F1s and apart from maybe one BAD crash by my son, nothing has broken yet, in over 8 months of running them. They are certainly more than a match for most other F1 renditions out there.

Alot of 'truths' in many instances are merely rumours or complaints picked up on and repeated over time until they become 'well known facts'.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I totally agree on the Ninco comment too - I don't know of a single steering breakage - just the odd mirror, which is certainly to be expected.

I will have to think about the car choice though. I suspect that Ninco is probably not as fast as Scalextric on max top speed and, in any case, would need magnet augmentation to corner like the others. For FUN, for me, Ninco IS the best, but that's not what winning an open race is about and I think Ninco is probably out of the running in this particular scenario.

Are you guys saying that the latest SCX Jaguar is actually faster, in a straight line, than a Scalextric F1? I don't have one, but if this true, then maybe that IS the car to go for in this case.

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
QUOTE It's longer chassis makes it agreat racer, with or without the motor.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
What are you saying (or not saying) Wankel Ickx?

The longer/new chassis (in my opinion) seems to make this a much better car than the older standard SCX F1 cars.

The rest of the components are standard, if you know any better could you let me know.

Thanks

JEXY1

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I think ole' Wanky baby is refering to the fact this car appears to go just as well with or without the MOTOR

(silent sniggering here)

When it is without its motor, does a magnet make any difference to handling?

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Yes, Jexy, Wankel beat me to it. No motor - clever. Something to do with digital compatibility perhaps! You should know no slip gets unmolested on a slot car forum.

Anyway, delighted to hear the 2002 Ferrari.., sorry Toyota is the best choice. I agree on the rain tyres, but I suspect the real benefit of the Toyota is it is easy to see (red & white).

Mr M's comment about brakes is crucial. The Hornby cars will be faster IF you run brakes. An SCX car has more natural braking.

And what about the Carrera Ferrari? It's only weeks old and much heralded, but gets no mention. Could it be the behind the front guide position for the guide blade is too much of a handicap? Certainly I can't get mine to stay on as well as the other F1s. Shame.

Scott

·
Registered
59 Posts
If the power supply will push it you could use the toyota with the bar in the rear most position, with (as gorp would say) a tweaker dropped on top of it.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got to this a bit late this evening!
Evening? It's actually 2am in the damn morning!

Thanks, Scott, for the comment on the Carrera Ferrari - it was a possibility, but that guide lead distance, logically, probably should eliminate it.

Questions:
Is any SCX motor actually faster than a Scalextric?
Rumour has it that Carrera versions of S cans are slightly more powerful than the Scalextric winds and would therefore make a good replacement in the Scalextric car - any comments on that?

Another car for consideration - Proslot Ferrari. I only gave it a couple of cursory runs when I first got it and it seemed impressively fast and well stuck down. The only other thing I am certain of though, is that the motor would need to be glued in, it twists in the chassis. Anyone any real experience of this car and would like to make comparative comments?

I have to say that, as our rules are crash and burn, and I am WELL past my best, consistent 'drivability' is probably more important than sheer brute speed! I am pretty serious about that. Got to get to bed - more considered thoughts will be marshalled tomorrow!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Grmph!
After my excessively late night, tomorrow, Sunday, didn't actually start until 11am and I had to leave for a race meeting an hour later - almost 80 miles away too! So another late and tired return home and no time to attack this problem again.

As I will undoubtedly get any parts, inc motor, tyres etc from Victor Meldrew (aka Sean at Pendle Slot!), I wonder if we could drag him into this discussion? I know I could easily lift the phone and obtain excellent advice and fast service as always, but I would like to get as much info as possible into this Topic so that others might benefit from it too. Hows about it Sean? Would you go for a hopped up SCX motor replacement, ditto in a Ninco, or stick with the Scaley Toyota? I could even be persuaded to try one of each in the desperate quest for a fast and smooth cornering car!

Must bear in mind the nature of the track - rough textured SCX, VERY fast straights but linked by a LOT of kinks - cornering is really where these races are won or lost with our awful crash'n'burn rules.
Some photos, if you'd like to take a look -
Our Main Track
The main straight, on the right, is around 22 feet long and there are others around 12 to 18 feet apiece. Also bear in mind our compulsory use of hard-wired horrible standard Scaley controllers that can render high mag, high power cars into on/off moody brutes! Grmpph!

Oops - nearly forgot - no, we are not wired for brakes.

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
Tee, hee.

Sorry Jex.

I'm always looking for the cheap repost or double entendre.

The child in me won't die... thank God.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts