SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just wondering if these are a good purchase... they all look in good condition & complete.

I am wondering what sort of prices kits like these are going for ?

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Ferrari x 2

Lotus30

Russkit

Ford GT Roadster

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,835 Posts
Where did you find them? another pick up from Japan? Good score

Being mint in box if you find a buyer then you could get a pretty penny or two for them.

I wouldn't sell them something awesome to keep in the collection

cheers
DM

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm still unsure about some of these kits.. There`s also a CHAPARRAL 2-E but from what I gather.. it really isn't worth as much if it isn't a 'magnesium' frame model. the one I'm looking at seems to be made of aluminum. Wow I was so close to securing a deal on this car.. .phew !!!

hhmm.. after letting the Chap E-2 go I settled for a Revell Lotus 23 & the Lotus 30. I had such a hard time reading through the Japanese typing... i originally had my eyes set on other cars but I ran out of time.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gee. why is it, I feel I missed the mark big time regarding purchasing a few half decent kits..

but hey I'm suffering badly from a bad bout of Vintage Virus.. hopefully it'll pass soon. I'm pathetic when it comes to prescribing myself a decent dose of patience... I need to seriously think a little harder before committing to buying into vintage cars.

Get myself a little more educatted me thinks... but hey I sure am enjoying the experience .. must be the addictive nature kickn in ... big time !!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of those car kits I tracked are on Yahoo Japan. I feel most of the American brands such as Cox are over priced... but there are naturally some good Japanese cars such as Nichimo & Tokyo plamo that are quite not bad for the picking.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True.. many of the Japanese cars are sold by small stores.. so the prices are over inflated.. but there's still a few private sellers over there selling off Japanese kits. These are the cars to look out for.. true pricing to have them sent into USA isn't cheap.. that's why I'll simply pack them in my luggage.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i bought a Revell Lotus 23 kit in Japan (as per photo above) .. it's still shrink wrapped in the original clear plastic.. never opened & I picked that up for $160

·
Phil Smith
2,638 Posts
I don't think Revell slot car kits were ever shrink wrapped from new.
This has been done recently, are you sure of what's contained in the box?
I've long thought that this was an area for unscrupulous traders, shrink wrap a clean box with any old parts inside, the chances of a collector opening up the box is quite slim.

This was first bought to my attention when I bought a Monogram Porsche 904 1/32 static kit (the one with the slot car parts) from a toy fair some years ago.
The box was shrink wrapped and appeared new it sat on the shelf for a while until I decided to open it up to make a slot car out of it, to my surprise the car had already been (badly) partly built and painted!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much for the tip... & yes it is shrink wrapped, will be arriving tomorrow with my girlfriend from Japan.

I will unwrap it and see what lies beneath..

Now I am truly worried.....

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,835 Posts
While anything is possible, my brother (who lives in Japan) has found that vintage items of this nature if describe as mint usually are. A couple of kits he bought me were very carefully wrapped in clear plastic to protect the box.

DM

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi All,
I have looked over the initial advertising and have found the seller did have two photos of the contents of the box.

Take a look

So I am presuming all is well.. but I must admit that now I'm slightly worried as the box has been completely shrink wrapped.

All shall be revealed tomorrow evening when I drive out to Heathrow Airport. I can see the scenario unfolding in my head right now. I greet my girlfriend as she walks through the gate.. walk straight past her to the luggage & start ferociously searching through her bags.. while she stands there dumb founded.. not a hug, a kiss, nothing...

just worry about the car first mate... the rest comes later

Stay Tuned

·
Phil Smith
2,638 Posts
That all looks correct, looks like the cellophane wrap over the bottom half of the box is still there but a bit hard to tell from the picture.
This is how it should be but the whole thing with it's lid on should not be wrapped.

I remember now that the Japanese have a habit of shrink wrapping the whole thing as a way of protection.
The first picture you show in your first post both have full shrink wrapping all over the box, this is not as they were sold, when you said that the Lotus was still wrapped I assumed you meant as these are, maybe I misunderstood, sorry if I did.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its worth noting that a lot of the cars on Yahoo Japan are way over priced. Take for instance the first photo at the top of this thread. 2x Ferrari Dino's

Well after carefully doing a currency conversion I was blown away by the sellers asking price.

$3000.00 !!

What the farfallonious! !!!

At first i thought perhaps it was a typo error... but surely enough the car is back up there.. & most probably will be until some silly sucker places a bid.

And its worth noting the following in regards to operations on Yahoo.jp

1.) if you make a bid and then forfeit .. you can not buy anything again as 99% of sellers won't accept from someone who gets one bad score.

2.) Auctioning is a different ball game compared to Fleabay.
If you make a bid 5min. before the end and someone else is also bidding.. bidding continues after the time has ended.. you will be given another 5min. to bid. & if someone bids again. you are give another 5min. until finally someone stops. At first I thought.. oh no way !! bidding will continue till this product is way over priced .. but in hinds sight I must admit it beats the pants out of ebay & loosing your chance due to someone making a bid with 1sec. to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts