SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have just bought a job lot of Airfix and MRRC at a carboot sale £5.00 for the lot. A mix of old gears, axles, Wheels, Tyres and braids.

In with the lot there was also 2 cars

The 1st I know is a Porsche as it says so on the paperwork it came with. But I don't know what model it is?

The 2nd I have no idea. All I do know is that it has seen better days and needs some TLC

Any information anyone could give me on either of these car would be amazing.

And for those of you thinking 'He's after the info for an ebay listing' Yes I am. Though the cars are nice I like my cars a little more modern.

A couple of pics the job lot

Thanks
CB
Gaz

·
Mike Newns
629 Posts
What you have there is a Porsche 804 and a Honda RA 273. The Porsche looks like an early 2 piece body if it's complete with the correct wheels and a "cube" motor might be work >£10. The Honda's more interesting as it appears to have a "ball raced" chassis - if nicely restored that may make >£30 if your lucky.

The wheels look nice you might get £5 per set for those. Nice brass bevel gears similar

just my opinion of course someone may spot that the Honda is a rarity or some of the bits are valuable.

Mike

·
Administrator
9,835 Posts
Nice find - the Porsche is pretty common, but a Honda with that model MRRC chassis is not, and should do pretty well. Ditto for some of the parts.

Don

PS: I also moved this topic over to vintage/collectors because it seemed more appropriate

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the information.
I have just paid for my plus membership and have listed these items in our swap and sell forum. As I'd rather sell these to a follow member than to Jo public on Fleabay.

Regards
CB
Gaz

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
A good cache, Gaz, especially the Honda's ballrace motor and the range of wheels. The yellow Lotus wheels may be Super Shells.
The Honda is one of the Clubman Special range, which had two motor-chassis types. The ballrace is the one in more demand, as Mike indicated.
The guide beside the Porsche and perhaps the front axle unit are little puzzling. The standard guide in the Series II cars that I'm familiar with was an inverted T shape and the braids were fixed to the underpan. It was known as the keyhole guide because of the shape of the aperture in the body pan.
Yours, Gaz, looks like the guides in the late 1960s cars. The Series II cars that I know had a rocking front axle-cum-steering unit and the guide was more permanently built into it. The later front units were screwed in and that unit (apparently complete with screws) may be one of them.
Does your body interior have screw mounting positions? If so, a question for Airfix fundis: Were some Series II cars produced with the later front units? I have only the Auto Union and Maserati, none of the 1.5-litre cars.
Some people have fitted modern small-can motors to these old Airfixes. Glued in, I think. I noticed a photo of a Micro-Scalex chassis for sale last week and the motor looked very cube-like. Has anyone tried them? I don't know any dimensions. The shaft looks longer and might have to be shortened.
A footnote on the front wheel units: It's mildly interesting that the rocking style reappeared on the Airfix F1 cars produced about 1980.
Rob J

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Rob
About to go to work so will have a proper look tonight. But just had a quick look and the Porsche does have the keyhole opening. I will take the car apart tonight and take some pics for your viewing pleasure

Regards
CB
Gaz

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks, Gaz. I wasn't knocking your batch for sale. There's some great stuff there, even the VIP pickup brushes, which were once some folks' A1 selection. Just curious in case there's something in Airfix development that I didn't know of.
If the front steering-axle unit is not quite right for the Series II shell, it can perhaps still be mounted. I don't know.
I won't bid for the batch as a whole because I have a Slimline Honda, a ballrace Matra, a Series I (twin-peg) Porsche, a few VIP brushes, SS Lotus wheels, etc, but if you end up breaking down the batch I'd be interested in some parts.
Best wishes,
Rob J

·
Registered
650 Posts
QUOTE (Coldblood @ 7 Aug 2011, 17:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>....... I'd rather sell these to a follow member than to Jo public on Fleabay.

Regards
CB
Gaz

Strange thing to say really - If no member on here wants to buy your items, then for sure Jo public on Fleabay will certainly pay you what they're worth.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Rob J @ 8 Aug 2011, 07:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks, Gaz. I wasn't knocking your batch for sale. There's some great stuff there, even the VIP pickup brushes, which were once some folks' A1 selection. Just curious in case there's something in Airfix development that I didn't know of.
If the front steering-axle unit is not quite right for the Series II shell, it can perhaps still be mounted. I don't know.
I won't bid for the batch as a whole because I have a Slimline Honda, a ballrace Matra, a Series I (twin-peg) Porsche, a few VIP brushes, SS Lotus wheels, etc, but if you end up breaking down the batch I'd be interested in some parts.
Best wishes,
Rob J

Hi Rob I hadn't taken it that you we're knocking the lot.
Just you we're interested in something that might be different on the Porsche. Hope to find out either way later when I get some pics posted.
QUOTE (SL0TCAR @ 8 Aug 2011, 12:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Strange thing to say really - If no member on here wants to buy your items, then for sure Jo public on Fleabay will certainly pay you what they're worth.

True but I thought I would see I anyone on SF would be interested in them 1st. Then go down the Fleabay route if they don't go on here.

CB
Gaz

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So here is a couple of pictures of the Porsche taken apart for your viewing.
I think the steering and guide might belong to a different car. As I can't work out how they all go together to. (might just be me being thick
)
The steering/guide mount does have 2 screw holes but there is none on the body. But I'll leave it for you guys to work out as I don't know these cars.

Regards
CB
Gaz

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
I don't think that particular Porsche is common at all. The horribly cheap-and-cheerful Scalextric/Triang Porsche is, but that is a MRRC so the body is much sleeker and the internal and external parts are different. I've never seen one on Ebay before and neither for sale with collectors/seconhand retailers, but I've seen a good few MRRC Hondas.

The Honda looks like it has a 5-pole motor, rather than the common 3-pole type. So it should be a smoother ride and a bit more responsive to run with the right controller.

Although the ballrace chassis/motor is sought after it is also very heavy and pretty clunkyclumsy, but people do pay through the nose for these. I really don't know why, but they do! I picked one up for no more than £6 a few weeks ago, but some people with money to burn will cough up £30-£60 if the thing actually works.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks for the pics, Gaz. Yes; that's a standard Series II bodyshell and it takes a rocking front axle unit. Your unit is for the later Hi-Speed and Slimline cars.
I know you don't intend to use it yourself, but if you're offering advice to a buyer you could point out that some components for these early Airfix cars are available at scaleslotcars.com under Spares. There aren't any Series II Porsche wheel-axle assemblies there at present, however. There are replacement tyres.
Cheers,
Rob J

·
Registered
361 Posts
QUOTE (Screwneck @ 8 Aug 2011, 23:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Although the ballrace chassis/motor is sought after it is also very heavy and pretty clunkyclumsy, but people do pay through the nose for these. I really don't know why, but they do! I picked one up for no more than £6 a few weeks ago, but some people with money to burn will cough up £30-£60 if the thing actually works.

Like me, and I don't even have that much money. They accelerate like bricks, but I love the soft & fast way they run once they have gained enough momentum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts