SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
A good cache, Gaz, especially the Honda's ballrace motor and the range of wheels. The yellow Lotus wheels may be Super Shells.
The Honda is one of the Clubman Special range, which had two motor-chassis types. The ballrace is the one in more demand, as Mike indicated.
The guide beside the Porsche and perhaps the front axle unit are little puzzling. The standard guide in the Series II cars that I'm familiar with was an inverted T shape and the braids were fixed to the underpan. It was known as the keyhole guide because of the shape of the aperture in the body pan.
Yours, Gaz, looks like the guides in the late 1960s cars. The Series II cars that I know had a rocking front axle-cum-steering unit and the guide was more permanently built into it. The later front units were screwed in and that unit (apparently complete with screws) may be one of them.
Does your body interior have screw mounting positions? If so, a question for Airfix fundis: Were some Series II cars produced with the later front units? I have only the Auto Union and Maserati, none of the 1.5-litre cars.
Some people have fitted modern small-can motors to these old Airfixes. Glued in, I think. I noticed a photo of a Micro-Scalex chassis for sale last week and the motor looked very cube-like. Has anyone tried them? I don't know any dimensions. The shaft looks longer and might have to be shortened.
A footnote on the front wheel units: It's mildly interesting that the rocking style reappeared on the Airfix F1 cars produced about 1980.
Rob J

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks, Gaz. I wasn't knocking your batch for sale. There's some great stuff there, even the VIP pickup brushes, which were once some folks' A1 selection. Just curious in case there's something in Airfix development that I didn't know of.
If the front steering-axle unit is not quite right for the Series II shell, it can perhaps still be mounted. I don't know.
I won't bid for the batch as a whole because I have a Slimline Honda, a ballrace Matra, a Series I (twin-peg) Porsche, a few VIP brushes, SS Lotus wheels, etc, but if you end up breaking down the batch I'd be interested in some parts.
Best wishes,
Rob J

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks for the pics, Gaz. Yes; that's a standard Series II bodyshell and it takes a rocking front axle unit. Your unit is for the later Hi-Speed and Slimline cars.
I know you don't intend to use it yourself, but if you're offering advice to a buyer you could point out that some components for these early Airfix cars are available at scaleslotcars.com under Spares. There aren't any Series II Porsche wheel-axle assemblies there at present, however. There are replacement tyres.
Cheers,
Rob J

1 - 3 of 3 Posts