SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm only a few days away from needing to fit a lap counter on my new single slot track build. I am basically remaking my old track (sold the first one years ago) The original Carrera one that was fitted worked perfectly, but now they are not easy to get and expensive. However, I can still get one and it seems I'll have to pay about £75.

Is this counter still the best option, or can I get one just as good, but cheaper?

The pic added is the old track with the original counter and then a pic of my be an alternative ???

I'd like a solid gantry type, rather than a laptop and sensor type (if you can even get them?).
Thanks.
Green Race track Urban design Leisure Recreation
Automotive lighting Office supplies Bumper Office equipment Gadget

· Registered
77 Posts
Nino ''N'' Scorer or Pole Position are the best but are rare and usually expensive.
While that Carrera on your original track is ''a bit of a faff'' to set the laps, get it if you can. £75 is expensive but there is very little out there.
The second picture that you've posted is for the Carrera 1/43 system. I haven't a clue if it can be modified

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with everything you say about the older version..

However, maybe the 1:43 could be a bonus??
I have no issue with chopping up the new counter and ripping out the sensors to fit them into the MDF track.
The fact that the new counter is 1:43 may mean it's a bit smaller and could fit the new track better??

The new track I am making is almost the same as the old one, so the counter position is going to be about the same. One issue I had with the older track was cars hitting the counter leg in a drift when you're 'really on it'. With the new counter, if only the outer sensor is used (the outer one), the gantry could be placed further away from the bend giving more clearance for drifting cars??

The beafits of the newer one if I could used it is it can be bolted down perminatley, better screen, better buttons and more sturdy when pushing the buttons.

I'd love some more input from anybody that has got one and hacked it up.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It seems it can be easily taken apart and grafted into an MDF base. Even the external power lead can be moved through a hole on the board and fixed under the road surface so a big power supply can be used and not the aa's.

The height of the tower can be lifted if it's too low and the wires can be extended if the outer lane is too close to the tower.

If anybody can see an issue with this plan, please say, as otherwise I think I've just found a cheaper and maybe better solution.

Thoughts ?
Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts