SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I feel stupid for asking this question but I'm looking for conformation please. I've been collecting for my layout for about 3 years now and have quite a lot of stuff, however I'm now close to building my track and was wondering if the following cars are compatible with Scalextric Digital track?
From what I understand the the cars can be chipped to make them work?
The cars are:
SCX Arrows 60690

SCX Jaguar 61140

SCX Minardi 61280

SCX BMW Sauber 63140

Scalextric Honda BAR C2715

Scalextric Renault C2780

If these cars are compatibale please can you let me know what chip(s) I will need. Ideally I want to keep the cars. Thanks in advance, Stuart.

·
Greg Gaub
14,651 Posts
If you get the C7042 base, you can just run a couple at a time in analog mode, and not chip them at all.
No reason not to keep the cars, even if you don't chip them.

If you want to chip them, it should be possible, but F1 cars tend to be tricky due to how little room they have in them. Also, some SCX motors can require more amps than a Scalextric chip can provide, risking damage to the chip. I don't know, specifically, what motors are in all those SCX cars, though.

Of course, the two Scalextric should be fine. Get an F1 solder-in chip for any that aren't DPR, and a DPR one for those that are.

Check the chipping database in the SSD forum to see if anyone has showed how they've done any of those cars already.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
both the scaley F1's were available as a factory digital ready car so they will accept the retro solder in f1 chip with ease.

I have only ever owned 1 scx car and did look into chipping it,fro memory it had no wires from the guide flag to the motor as it relied on metal tabs running the length of the chassis.

If that is the case it will mean cutting a break in these to solder a chip in the middle so one side goes to the pick ups and the other to the motor.

It may be easier to remove the whole metal tab thing and wire them like a scaley car though.?? One for the experienced scx convertors to comment on.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Chipped a Scaley Renault F1 using the Scalextric F1 chip. Biggest problem was fitting the body back on the chassis due to the limited space. Also chipped an SCX Citroen C4 4WD using a Scalextrix F1 chip. Just had to disable the standard motor contacts by bending them up out of the way so that they no longer make contact with the metal strips running from the guide. Chip was then soldered to the guide in the front and the motor in the rear in the usual way. A little creativity was needed in mounting the 'eye' on to the chassis.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Beware, yes you can chip SCX cars, I have several running on my track. But older SCX motors have sometimes problems with the chip ( I have smoked several chips) and you mention the Jaguar and Minardi. Both I have tried chipping. In the Jaguar I could not find room and gave up, the Minardi only worked when the chip sticked out 1 cm. out of the sidepod. Scalextric F1's are great fun, especially the older ones with standard motor (not the FF)

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
also the if the scx cars are eqipped with lights then running on scaley track can cause them to blow.

From memory scx runs around the 14v mark and scaley digital 15v. There is a thread somewhere on here that shows how to install resistors to the lights to protect them.

Standar lights are impossible to replace so it will mean sourcing some from maplin and the like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts