SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

It's been a long time since I've been on here. I was a semester away from graduating from College for a second career about 2 & 1/2 years ago I think when I was here last.

Things got real busy then, and I haven't done anything with my Ninco Digital layout since then.

Today I vacuumed & cleaned the track, cleaned the dust off of all of the cars, and everything seemed fine. I have an external, variable power supply with a Simple-H mod on my setup.

My problem is that only port #8 will run a car. I have 4 controllers modified with different resistors, and it worked with the couple controllers that I tried in port 8. I was testing things out with a single car (I tried several different cars).

Any ideas? Could my base unit have developed a problem just sitting there? (lol, unlikely in my mind)

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
240 Posts
QUOTE (dmn @ 2 Jan 2012, 17:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My problem is that only port #8 will run a car.
Are you saying that you can only program a car (chip) to port (ID) 8? In other words, if you program the car to ports 1 through 7, the car does not run. When you program to port 8, it runs?

_michael

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, here's some more info.

On #8, everything works fine, including lights. Right after I program the chip and before I push "start" again to go onto the next item on the console, I can lift up the back of the car and get a throttle response. When I'm running a car on the track, the lane change works.

On #1-#7; when I push the controller lane change button to program the car, the console display acts like it is programming the car (chip), I can also turn on the lights if the car has them. I do not, however get a throttle response right after I program the car (chip).

Here's another question; it seems like there was an earlier, and a later base, and that there was a difference in what settings were in them. I seem to remember that my base that's on my track layout was a later one, and the base at my workstation was an earlier one....??? can't remember how to tell them apart...

Before I got too busy with school a couple of years ago, I don't remember having any problems other than needing to re-solder the Simple-H fan positive wire back onto the board (which shouldn't make any problems with running 2-4 cars at a time I don't think.)

Doug

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More Info;

My work bench base is a 104, and my Track layout base is a 105 (it doesn't say which one it is when you turn it on with one of the buttons held down.)

Doug

·
Registered
240 Posts
QUOTE (dmn @ 2 Jan 2012, 18:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...On #1-#7; when I push the controller lane change button to program the car, the console display acts like it is programming the car (chip), I can also turn on the lights if the car has them. I do not, however get a throttle response right after I program the car (chip)...
Does the console window display "End-n", where 'n' is the port number when you press the LC button?

When you attempt to program the chip to ports 1 through 7, and the car does not run, can you then run the car on port 8 without reprogramming? This would indicate that the console is not reprogramming the chips, or that ID # 8 is programmed by every port.

QUOTE (dmn @ 2 Jan 2012, 18:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here's another question; it seems like there was an earlier, and a later base, and that there was a difference in what settings were in them. I seem to remember that my base that's on my track layout was a later one, and the base at my workstation was an earlier one...
How many consoles do you have?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The console window does display "End-(port #)" when I press the LC button.

"When you attempt to program the chip to ports 1 through 7, and the car does not run, can you then run the car on port 8 without reprogramming?" Yes.

Here's a kicker; some of my cars, when I put them on the track, I get a brief hum, and they don't even work on port 8.

Boy, am I confused.

I have one 104 console on my workbench for testing purposes, and one 105 console on my layout.

Doug

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The same thing happens on both controllers; the cars that I started out programming them on #8 on my track only respond on #8 on both controllers. The cars that I tried to program on other ports initially seem to be non-responsive on all ports.

Doug

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After thinking about this, I think maybe vacuuming the track screwed up the base. I used a portable vacuum with a soft brush attachment that probably created plenty of static electricity whn rubbed vigorously against the plastic track to help pick up 2.5 years of accumulated dust.
Doug

·
Registered
240 Posts
QUOTE (dmn @ 3 Jan 2012, 02:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...I think maybe vacuuming the track screwed up the base...
Possible but not likely. Because the two consoles are behaving identically and all the chips seem to be affected, my guess would be that one of the consoles (the one where most recent programming was done?) is doing something to the chips when programming to render them unprogrammable.

One difficulty here is that you have a lot of variables: modified console; modified controllers; suspect chips. My advice would be to try to find an operational base configuration that works. Perhaps your unmodified console, a stock controller and a new chip (chips come with a default of ID # 1). Then work from there to methodically eliminate the "good" components.

What voltage is your power supply set at?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Try this -

1) Put 1 car on the track and make sure that it is not on the power base track piece or any of the lane changers.

2) Press the menu button and Car will flash on the screen.

3) Press the lane change button on controller #1.

4) The car should drive around the track with Car on the screen using controller #1.

5) Take the car off the track and then I.D. the next car following the above steps for controller #2.

6) Follow the same steps for controller #3.

The important thing is to press the menu button, then press the lane change button while Car is flashing on the screen.

Best regards,
Brian

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yesterday I bought a ninco conversion kit 90202(?). I have today off, so I'm going to use the new base/controller s to test all of my cars and modded controllers. I expect to be swapping the new base into my layout. This shop has had this conversion kit sitting around for a year, & it has the old style chips in it, so I expect the base to be a 105 or 106. The packaging is the old red.and black instead of the new style.

I plan on selling the extra parts (lane change sections, etc.).

I'll post how it goes.

Doug

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, I'm a complete idiot and I feel VERY STUPID...I should have read the instructions (although I don't know where they are) and paid more attention to bswan, getting back to basics...I wasn't pushing the MENU button to get the CAR to flash so I could program the cars. How dumb is that?! I guess 2.5 years is long enough to forget that little detail.

Thanks for your help guys!!
Doug

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've tuned up (oiled bushings, cleaned up, fixed issues, etc.) all 70+ chipped cars & tested 65% of them on the track. I didn't test all of my Ninco & Fly cars. It's nice to be in business again. Now I'm looking to get some others to come over and do some racing.

Doug

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.