SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Kitbasher
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I have a JAD/Riggen Watson Ford Indy Car that has a rather tired bodyshell.

It came with either a Watson Ford Indycar or a BRM H16 F1 shell, both near identical with the Lancer shell.

Can anyone help with a replacement shell?

Connected but separate I have been unable to get a response from John 'Bodies for Beer' Dilworth, I would like to know if he is OK so if anyone can confirm that I would appreciate it.

If anyone has one of these a photo of the wheels would be appreciated, not 100% certain mine are correct and Roncole Verdi is no place to use the wrong wheels!

· Administrator
11,655 Posts
Will try to remember to look tonight Peter. Have photos, not sure about the body shells!

And I think the wheels were anodized black, can't remember if with holes or holeless, probably 3/4" on the front... and since that was too small for holes, the backs must have been plain as well!

Don

· Kitbasher
4,696 Posts
Some of the Slotblog/LASCM comments etc. mention the holes in the wheels but these are smaller than the 'holed' Riggens that I have so I reckon they were just Black anodised and totally 'unholy'?

The bodies were also known as Brimhall after the designer and are copied from the Lancer but with a shorter nose....

· Kitbasher
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that, appreciated.

This Indy car had very small front and rear wheels, rears have grey sponge but no holes.

As it is going to run on NSR rubber tyres (sponge not allowed at the venue it will race at ) I will stick with the wheels it came on.

· Administrator
11,655 Posts
My JAD Watson-Ford has six-hole anodized black wheels on back, but with black tires (so not sure if they're stock), but the box picture shows gray foam tires.

The fronts are the small anodized black wheels,

Confirmed by ads and articles, with gray foam tires, but can't tell if the wheels have holes or not.

Don

· Kitbasher
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Richard, I found lots of piccies of my blue Watson on the web, wheel issue now sorted but I would still like to replace the shell.

· Premium Member
5,614 Posts
The JAD cars were issued in 1967 and were marketed under various packaging and various bodies until 1969, when they were replaced by a new 2-piece stamped brass chassis first issued in 1968 as an inline design, the tooling modified to anglewinder motor mounting in 1969.
The earlier cars had the "medium" size Riggen 6-hole black anodized wheels and low-profile gray sponge tires, with the "Riverside" plain fronts with black ribbed O-ring rubber tires. Later, the rear tires were made of black sponge, and when the cars were re-marketed in small individual cardboard boxes under the Brimhall label, they gad polished aluminum wheels with no holes, the rear tires now being red sponge.

The molds for the Riggen BRM H-16 bodies were made by Gordon Brimhall, from a back pour of the Lancer model, but there are differences in length and details. It is a lot easier to find a Lancer shell of course since the Lancer H-16 was never a popular seller, so lots of them have survived.
The JAD Watson and "Chappy XL" came from modified Lancer patterns too.
Either way, painted or clear original JAD bodies are hard to come by without being attached to their chassis... so best is to play with a clear Lancer shell, and depending on your preference, build a scale model or a replica of the original model. In this case, here is some help:

Writing implement Red Office supplies Gas Pen

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Font

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive tire

I hope that this helps.

Attachments

· Kitbasher
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for that, I had managed to piece together most of the story from research on the Internet.

Hopefully I can find a Lancer BRM shell to use and keep the original shell to hep make the car original for its place in my collection.

So, if you uys have a Lancer BRM H16 please give me a shout!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.