SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Make sure that you have the "Track Operators" toolbar showing at the top. There is a camera icon near the right hand side, clicking on that will capture your track as a BMP file on your clipboard.

As you are not a paid up member, ie Slotforum Plus, you will need to post the picture to an online hosting such as flickr.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am being a bit dim here! Please forgive me!

My track Designs are in TrackPower not Ultimate Racer as I origionally posted - sorry.

However, the same thing still seems to apply regarding the saving to clipboard as a bitmap (which I have figured out)

Only thing is, I just can't get it from there into photobucket. to upload to here.

Can anyone help please?

Regards,

Chris (getting really frustrated after having spent the last hour trying to work it out!)
!

·
Greg Gaub
15,402 Posts
Chris, you just need to paste into an image editor.
MS Paint will do the job, but you might have other picture/image programs in your windows Accessories or other folder. There are also lots of free programs out on the internet you can download and install.
But, assuming you have Paint, just load it up, and go to the edit menu and choose 'Paste". You can probably do some cropping as needed, but whatever you do, be sure to go to the File menu and click Save. You can save it as a BMP or a GIF file or whatever your application offers. Then you can upload it from there to Flickr or Photobucket or wherever so that you can post a link here.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mr. F - I'll give it a bash tonight - I am looking forwad to your comments on it in particular (when I finally get it sorted) as I have no idea how to design a challenging digital circuit as I have little experience of them.

If all else fails I'll print it - photograph it and then upload it!

Best Regards,

Chris

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
I use the 'Snipping tool' on Windows 7. I'm not sure if other versions of Windows has it but try typing 'snipping' into the search field and it may come up. You just drag the box to the screen where you want to make a picture and save it to the folder you want it in. It works really well.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys,

thanks for the help - should have it sorted now!

OK - here is my first bash at a digital layout - criticisms, suggestions and comments please.

Hope this has worked?

We are a small club - 15 years old - currently running on 4 lane scaley classic.

We have decided to run digtal for next year, so we need to start buying and understanding how we can get the most from it.

Do I need more LCs? Are they in the right place? Will want pit stops for endurance racing so double lane pit or not? Would kind of like to spread part of track out to 3 lanes maybe and even down to one?

Over to you Guys to help us make the best use of our space.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Chris

·
Greg Gaub
15,402 Posts
You have a lot of space there that you're avoiding for some reason. Is the back in a corner? If so, I wouldn't put a curved lane changer there. I'd just put a long wide turn so there are less offs in such a hard to reach location. One or two more lane changers would be good, too. I might tend to smooth out the turns more. Like, don't go into an R1, then an R3, or from an R4 into an R1. Well, I mean, you CAN, but it would cause a lot of tail whipping for those not ready for it.
If your club is big enough that you'd likely have all 6 cars taken every race, then I would put in a double pit lane. You can help make more room by cutting 1/2 straight of the end of the exit pieces if necessary, but having the ability to get around someone who is filling up, when you only want to splash and dash, or if you need to serve a stop and go while someone is taking fuel, is a good thing.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thaks for the comments Mr. F - always appreciated

I am back to the drawing board tonight to have another bash!

Managed to find that really good thread on pit-lanes from not so long ago so will be pinching some ideas from there I suspect.

R1-R3 curbs - noted.

The top left hand corner of the layout is in fact very accessible - its the other corner that is a bit trickier but we have always managed with'grabbers' without too much problem as we always have enough racers to provide dedicated corner marshalls - gets a bit frantic but adds to the general chaos!

We always get between 9-12 racers once a month and sometimes they all turn up (16) and its gets a bit cosy in there!

Thanks once again - if any others have ideas - please feel free.

Best Regards,

Chris

·
Greg Gaub
15,402 Posts
Lots of racers, excellent! So, where are the walls in the room? For marshaling purposes, remember that until drivers get better at digital, you have rear-ending as well as nerfing in turns and on lane changers.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
H There,

well here's another bash at a track - I really like the pit-lane bit (totally nicked from this forum - big thank you!), but not so sure about the infield?

I will raise the track height at the back to give the drivers a clearer view - but to be honest our current 4-laner has blind spots all over it and, well, you just gotta learn it really!

Mr. F. the back of the circuit is against a wall, and the right hand side is against a wall, but we live with the fact that its tricky to marshall - grabbers work just fine, and as we regularly shout out after a bit of 'iffy' re-slotting - "you don't need a marshall if you stay on!"

You are right though - it will be a big learning curve for all of us and there will be all manner of shunts and bumps as we get it sorted but sort it we will!

Personally I cant wait to get cracking on the build - digital will throw our championship wide open (which is fantastic!)

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo100/p...ewDigitalv3.jpg

Please comment on the design - I really appreciate the advice on the forum gives

Regards

Chris

·
Greg Gaub
15,402 Posts
I agree. I think the new layout is a big improvement on the first one. You have a lot of lane changers in there. IMHO, more than you need. You can eliminate half the curved ones by putting the straight ones right at the end of the straight. That's where they're most effective. Also, although it seems counter intuitive, the In-to-Out CLCs are better for digital racing for a variety of reasons. Mainly, the lane change is smoother, rather than abruptly sharp. Also, the Out-to-In ones are bad for when you want to use the track in 2 lane analog mode because the flipper will tend to push out and cause a lane change. On the In-to-Out kind, the flipper pushing out is a good thing, as it keeps the cars in their correct lane. Since lane changers are expensive, you could probably save a bunch by keeping them to what's most effective.

It's good that you guys are already used to dealing with deslots in far off places. You'll get those in spades now.

When my club was still pretty new to racing with 6 drivers of different skill levels, one of the things we did to practice was a slot car version of the "Swedish Mile" team exercise (hope not to offend any Swedes, as I have no idea why the football coach called them that). Essentially, it's follow the leader, but the one in the back would pull out and pass everyone else to become leader. The idea was to follow as close as possible, without passing anyone else. If the leader changed lanes, everyone else would get into the same lane. Every lap or two, the one in back would come up to be the leader. This was all about practicing driving close and learning everyone's braking points and such. Crashing was plentiful for a while, but we got a lot better pretty quick.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks once again for the input - I'll do a bit of fiddling about this evening and take in your comments.

Got it for the corner L/Cs - makes sense - thank you.

Great idea for the training session Mr. F. - for what its worth I have no idea why they call it a Swedish mile either - its an old expression though as I seem to remember it being called that in the dim and distant past when I could run one!

Now then - need to start looking at Race Management and Pit Stop stuff! - there is high expectation at the club about digital so I'd better get a bit more clued up!

I remember some time ago Mr. F. you were reassuring me about going digital - and you did, so I will have a look at some of your posts to see what you guys use.

Thanks once again - I will post up tweaked layout tonight.

Best Regards,

Chris

·
Greg Gaub
15,402 Posts
Well, assuming you get the C7042 Advanced 6 Car Power Base (APB), then the best choice at this time is SSD Console. SSDC was pretty much written from the ground up specifically for the APB, and every improvement in the software works best with the new base. You'll get cool things like low fuel stutter, variable braking, and automatic brakes when entering the pit lane in order to enforce pit lane speed limits effectively. Along with the APB and SSDC, you'll want to snag a Pit-Pro from RikoRocket or RichG. See who has one ready to sell, or who's ready and waiting to mod one for you if you need to send one to them. The Pit-Pro is what tells SSDC that the car is in the pit lane so that it can restrict fueling to the pit lane, and enforce speed limits and things. It also has some really useful light displays for fuel level and track call.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the top-class advice Mr. F. - been crawling round your website to have a look-see!

Yes we will be going for the new APB - will probobly buy the platinum set to form the basis of the new track as it looks best value for money as a start point given APB, a couple of SLC's, half a dozen cars, controllers etc. There is plenty enough track on the current circuit to recycle and the single lane straights and single lane curves look easily 're-modelable (?)' from stock track.

Just wondering with regards to controllers - something a bit more robust? Worth mentionng that the guys are already talking about wireless!

Anyway, here is the latest layout plan - what do you think?

New Track Design

Best Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My two penny worth. Any lane changer needs really to be 1 full straight clear of the last corner or you have to sloww down A LOT not to drift and miss it. So I know you were told to move the XLC to the last corner but I would not. Move it back 1 corner or re design slightly. Same for the Pit Entry. You will lose a lot if you have to slow a lot to hit the pit entry. You could get the pit lane to touch the main track. This is done by cutting down a real track piece to make the right single lane section. You may want to do this anyway as cutting a full straight to make two full singles is good (they are very slightly short but work). If you go that way my tip is put a big fillet of hot melt glue either side of the central web then cut. I got a near perfect cut down the middle of the web. single track cut corners won't be as accurate but it will let you move the pit lane entry. Plus you really need (my opinion) 2 spaces to re-fuel in the lane. First man in must take the last space. Failure to do so or miss the marked space, means he has to go round before he can re-fuel. Digital is a whole new world, have fun. Plus with the bigger pit lane you can have pit pro. Being a rug racer and small track that is one I can't yet fit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts