SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

I am a "good old boy" Yankee that was won over by the high-detail, Euro-styled 1/32 slot cars around 1999 when I became aware of them (my older brother got me involved in 1/32 Parma Womp Womp and 1/24 belt-driven Whisperjets back in 1980 when public tracks began to re-open, and my brother has continued to run a public track with 1/24 model bodies on H&R chassis with big fields on Blue Kings, and even bigger fields on the drag strip). I began collecting 1/32 Scalextric and similar ilk cars since 1999, collecting big stockpiles and building four tracks (a banked six-lane high-banked quad-oval and four lane Sebring-styled Carrera, a four lane Artin "road racing" multi-level layout, and a routed six-lane short track), and now I have everything functioning in terms of wiring, lap counting displays and decorations to be ready to start the informal basement racing club I have have been waiting for, for two decades (a buddy has also assembled a big four-lane Carrera Riverside layout).

What Euro-slot cars have done for me (in addition to seriously lightening my bank account) is given me an appreciation of classic-era European (and even Australian) racing that I was minimally exposed to as a working-class American steeped in the "round-rounds". I have even developed an affinity for very old iconic rally cars of the 1950s-60s and old-fashioned road race cars, and Bathurst/Sandown, and even have full fields of F1 cars from post-war to the early 70s. What I have been unsuccessful with is in limiting the range of old classic racing classes to include for my planned club racing, as I learn to appreciate new types all the time.

One of my last holdouts is my last area of affinity, in terms of modernity era and time of collection, that being the 1971-early 76 "high airbox" era of F1, and have had a crash course on the bounds and scope of that era, before they were banned in early 1976. I have procured a stockpile of Scalextric Lotus 72s with the airboxes and their Tyrrell rivals, and also picked up some SRC McLaren M23s, and Fly Brabham BT44s and March 761s, and some Policar Lotus 72s, all in the high-airbox configuration, and hope to race a full 28 car field or so with 2-3 of each model (I've even picked up some Betta classics and similar bodies to deploy if needed).

I know this is a big request to make that might tax the memories or records of the forum members here, but if you could list off the top of your head of other "high airbox" (71-76) F1 models in 1/32 from the "modern era" of slots (1999+ or so, of since the "Fly" era), I would sure appreciate tips on other models I assume have been released from various manufacturers that I previously missed since I was not looking for them, or even sites on this board or the web where I could find such compiled lists. That way I can start hunting these orphans down (Looks like the imminent Heskeths and similar models will help me out for future releases soon). Thanks!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you're looking for, but, in period (1970's), Scalextric UK made a BRM P160 and a Shadow F1 with high airboxes as well as a Brabham BT44, along with the Lotus 72. I think there was a 1970 F1 Ferrari also. These were all pretty crudely done, as you probably know already, but there are enthusiasts in UK who modify and race them. They later made the James Hunt McLaren M23 and the Niki Lauda Ferrari 312T, which they've made again recently in much-improved form.
Hope you're this is of some interest.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
As a US oval racing fan trapped in Europe, where most people get sniffy about turning left, I'm happy to try and repay the compliment! There aren't all that many types of high airbox F1s available in RTR of the modern era of slot modelling. I think there's only the ones that you have already:

Vanquish MG - Lotus 72 (JPS, Brooke Bond, Lucky Strike)

Scalextric - Lotus 72 (JPS, Gunston), Tyrrell 001/002

Fly - March 761 (every livery!), Brabham BT44 (every livery!), Hesketh 308 (coming soon)

SRC - McLaren M23 (Yardley, Marlboro)

Policar - Lotus 72 (JPS, Embassy)

SCX/Exin - Ferrari 312 B3, Tyrrell 001

Yes, Scalextric used to make them in period. No, they won't run well with modern models if you use magnets. If you don't they're not far off but they do need work on presentation and will never be really accurate. I'm currently doing what I can with the Ferrari 312 T3...

Screenshot 2019-12-10 21.53.10.png

If resin is an option, there's DNQ who makes lovely bodies. I've got the high airbox Ferrari 312T to do but he has a heap more.

There's also the Matchbox kit of the Surtees TS16 as a body donor.

And finally Nonno Slot did a beautiful resin Ferrari 312 B3 as well.

Considering how any constructors there were in period, and how many slotters of today were fans at the time, it's a very under-developed category for slot racing!

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you, friends, for taking time to respond and give your advice, and help me out.

42redcat, I am not beneath dressing up some old Scalextric bodies like that, if they are reasonably proportioned, and I can somehow slip a modern Scalextric undercarriage to keep "spec" running gear (I bought a stockpile of Scalextric Lotus 72 JPS and Tyrrell models cheap, to justify adding this newer class that I was not psychologically connected to previously) - it is amazing what a little paint on a body and driver/interior, and some good decals can do, and maybe some added motor bits. Thanks!

driver#8, thanks so much for the list you compiled - I've already got the list of cars you supplied (don't know if I have all the 761 liveries), except for the SCX one - I know the latter often has detail issues like older Scalextrics, but since I have used even slosh cast bodies and Eldon or Strombecker varieties in addition to higher class alternatives, I am sure I might be able to put "lipstick on a pig" (to use an American adage, I guess) with those as well (love the old sports car/rally cars SCX makes, though!)

No, I do not use magnets, and grip is always an issue on my tracks (which keeps over-powered motors and other "space race" technology problems naturally under control), and I only allow flowable silicone rubbed onto stock tires to minimize cost, give slightly better grip and let a variety of cars and their tires (even rock hard old ones) to compete fairly, so slow cars or unsophisticated chassis can do fine. Since my tracks use lots of crossovers to let drivers go across all four lanes (or three lanes in my six lane Carrera tracks), like a "poor man's digital", driver concentration and watching out for other drivers (and waiting for them to slide)is the central factor in driving, and not the best tires or chassis. In fact, I load my cars full of weight, and it improves lap times and drivability.

I have bought a bundle of resin bodies from everyone I knew about over the years, but I am not familiar (I think) with "DNQ" - can you give me a lead on how to find them? I'll have to keep a lookout for the TS16 models.

I'll close with a few pictures I've got here to begin informal club racing - all functional, but can still use more decorations (sorry - I've got to learn how to rotate these photos here). Since you are interested in "roundy rounds", I'll just mention that I've got bodies and chassis for just about every model car that ran in NASCAR from about 1954 to 1988.

Cheers!

View attachment 196095

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Somehow, the last post dropped the main picture of my Charlotte quad oval, if anyone is interested (thanks for the earlier advice, people, on painting over lines on Carrera track; the light here shows a little difference on the crossovers, but normally you can't see the difference in the mixture of cheap Apple Barrel craft paint I used on them!):

IMG_1486.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
I imagine this Scalextric 312B probably qualifies as an early airbox car, although its proportions are modest and restrained by comparison with some of the 'goblin hats' that followed.

Incidentally, this car is standard, apart from rear 'urethanes, and goes exceptionally well.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody for their feedback (more comments are desired if more data is out there). Trisha - actually indeed I am looking for the "goblin hat" cars (is that what Graham Chapman called them?)

Can anybody tell me where I can find DNQ resin bodies?

Thanks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I cannot add to the list really, other than to say that you should find the book; Formula One Cars 1970-1979 as it has great photos of everything that ran, pretty much. It is certainly my favorite era as well, my first GP being at Watkins Glen in 1967 - but somewhere in the Turbo era, I kind of lost the enthusiasm for F-1. Now LeMans on the other hand... Good luck with your collecting!!!

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
slotrebel

If you click on the members tag at the top of the screen and search DNQ you will get his profile and you can PM him - his bodyshells are excellent.

David

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
An invaluable source of reference for modellers and historians, this A-Z of Formula Racing Cars by the late David Hodges, should be in everyone's motoring library.

Prolifically illustrated it contains a 'pen portrait' of just about everything. Published in 1990 it's available in hardback and softback; well worth searching for.

Attachments

·
re member
4,096 Posts
Nothing in the high airbox line. I am nearly finished posting out the last of the Datsun 510 kits though. Next is some bodies and parts for Pre-Wing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts