SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started a league to get people into the Carrera Digital 132 scale system. and we had our first meet up today.

I have never run a league for slot cars before so I wanted everyone to buy in with similar cars (ie GT or DTM cars).

A few people complained they didn't like the GT style cars so in order to get "something" going I let things slide to an open class setup. My goal was for all of us to run similar cars to help balance the playing field. Their was so much resistance, however, I caved and said whatever.... get a car we will make it work.

I may have to call our crazy assortment of rides the Classless Slot Car Society... uggg.. lol.

We setup a large track today and did some , practise, qualifying laps, and heats.

One person wanted a Carrera Digital 132 Lightning McQueen car. I thought the car was going to be tough to handle as it has a very short wheelbase and is by far the smallest car out of the group. I was dead wrong. The car is a speed demon compared to the other cars. It very seldom derails and it is much faster than I thought it would be. I am not sure if it has way stronger magnets than the other cars or if it is a different mix of characteristics that make it faster.

I am worried everyone is going to become frustrated as we all lose to this car every week. Everyone bought their own cars so I don't think the group wants to rotate through the cars in an IROC style.

Should we be removing magnets to balance the field a bit? Any other thoughts on how I should handle such things? Most of us met through board games but many of us had HO slot car sets as kids.

Thanks for any tips.

mb

·
Registered
536 Posts
Whatever cars you decide on eventually, going mag-less would help to even things out. My experience with magnet cars is that the magnet strength can vary greatly from car to car, even with the same model from the same brand. The more strongly magnetized cars perform much better on a twisty circuit. There are ways to even out the magnetic effect on cars but sometimes these methods can be a bit daunting to amateurs. If cars had no magnets, this disparity would be avoided.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.