SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi,
Can anyone point me in the right direction for spare parts for 4 vintage cars I was given on the weekend. My wifes uncle said he purchased his scalextric/Triang/Hornby gear 46 years ago and he has not had it out in more than 20 years. He was nice enough to give me all his scalextric stuff which included the 4 cars, 2 hump back bridges, guard rails, figures, Goodwood Chicane in the box, borders etc. Most of the track is rusted except for the Goodwood Chicane which actually wasn't in its box(go figure!). The 2 plastic boxes also included a copy of the Scalextric Catalogue no 4 which is pretty frail but all pages are still legible, a 1965 price list and a few other bits and pieces. The four cars are the C75 Mercedes 190 SL, C74 Austin Healey 3000 and then there are the 2 C54 Lotus's which have made in Australia on them. All four cars bodies are in pretty good condition and just need a few parts to bring them all back to there original glory, the 2 Lotus's needing more than the others. Any help will be much appreciated.
Cheers
Matt

PS- Hopefully take some photos tomorrow.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (pertti jarla @ 31 Aug 2011, 02:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would get a Plebys track cleaning set, and preferably some newer analogue Scalextric or SCX track to replace the old. With some patience you should find & get most spares from Ebay.co.uk...or perhaps from the helpful people on this forum.

Thanks for that but I have about 50m+ of the sports track which I'm in the process of building a newish layout at the moment, and will probably leave all the classic track alone since most of it is warped as well(except the Goodwood Chicane and the Squeeze straights). At the moment I'm looking forward to restoring the cars and maybe using some of the old figures,fences etc and incorporating these into my layout when I finally settle on a design. I'm also running digital with the new 6 Car APB. I seem to start something and then all of a sudden something else pops up and my attention goes to that instead and at the moment I'm searching for parts and then I'll get back to finishing the layout, fixing the computer for SSDC, adding scenery. The list just keeps on growing but hey, I'm loving every minute of it.
Cheers
Matt

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
Hi Matt,

If you contact BTS mouldings they will e-mail you a list of the repro parts they make for Scaley and other vintage slots.

Cheers

John

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
G'day

Heres some photos of the cars:

First up the C74 Austin Healey 3000

C75 Mercedes 190 SL

and the 2 C54 Lotus

As you can see they are in need of some work, will try to get all the parts and restore to to the best of my ability. Will give the Mercedes a coat of white paint to bring it back to its former glory, the other 3 will clean up pretty well as they were/are just covered in a white mould,
Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again,

I have found most of the parts for the Mercedes and the Austin Healey except the G5 guide blades, anyone know where I can find these. I really only need the one as the Austins is ok but the Mercedes one is broken and will need to be replaced.
Cheers
Matt

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
Matt
I would be inclined to insert brass tube and use a slot it guide. I know it isn't original but it would give a better drive.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (alfetta @ 31 Aug 2011, 21:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Matt
I would be inclined to insert brass tube and use a slot it guide. I know it isn't original but it would give a better drive.

Thanks for the reply,

If I can't find a new(old) guide I might just have to try that (try being the word as I would'nt know where to start). Is there anywhere on the forum where someone else has attached a slot.it guide to a vintage car as I am quite good at following what someone else has done before but would be hesitant to tackle this myself. Anyway I'm in no great rush so I'll keep searching and asking the question for now.
Thanks
Matt.

PS- Cleaned up the Austin Healey, had to re-solder some of the wires and give the motor a good clean, now just to order the bumpers and windscreen and I'll have the car looking great.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the offer jaylaw17 but I sought of just fell into the vintage side of slots after my wifes uncle gave me his old scaley stuff. Was good to have a read/look at the 4th edition catalogue and a few of the othet bits and pieces he had but I think I'll stick to mostly cars. Might even have to get a few more of the older cars in the future as I quite enjoy tinkering with these and adds yet another side to the slots.
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi again,

I'm in need of some help regarding the C54 Lotus. Was wondering whether anyone could help me with how the wires from the motor are attached to the guide. My yellow Lotus has the guide but I'm not sure if the wires are just soldered to the braids and threaded through or if there is some other part missing. I am just awaiting some parts to finish the Astin Healey and Mercedes and both are really going to come up a treat. The yellow Lotus is missing the small pipes that come out from the front and one of the mirrors is missing, light blue Lotus will need some parts as well. All of the motors were not working when I first tested them but after some cleaning,re-wiring and re-soldering I have 3 that are now operational. Any help with this or finding more of the parts would be excellent.
Thanks
Matt

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Matt: The leads on the Lotus are soldered to terminals on the top of the guide. One goes to the bolt through the magnet at the front of the motor and the other to a brass eyelet at the rear end of an insulated arm of the motor brush spring. The standard polarity setup probably had the left terminal lead going to the magnet bolt and the right lead going to the upper half of the brush spring.
For trim parts you may like to look at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~gt/ . That's the website of an Aussie enthusiast who does some repro parts. Mostly 1970s-80s, from memory, but even if he hasn't these 1960s parts you may find him useful when you're working on later cars.
Your Lotus "small pipes", presumably the intake trumpets on the left, rarely disappear and I doubt if repro parts are available. They are very short and you may be better to cobble up your own replacements.
Rob J

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers Rob, there isn't any terminals on top of the guide so I might have to look at getting some or sorting something out. The "intake trumpets" as you call them are there but only 2 whereas I thought there were 4. It doesn't look as if 2 have broken off so I might do some more research to chech.
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes indeed there is a second part for these G3 round pin guides. This part has 2 metal plates, on which are soldered the lead wires and usually a resistor for suppressing TV interference. This part is made of the same clear white material as the bottom pin part, and plugs snugly into the bottom part , where the metal plates contact and hold the braids in place.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hi, Matt. I see gar has answered on the guide.
On the Aussie GT's website, I've just had a look ('cos my Lotus is missing the exhaust) and he doesn't go back that far, but if you do ever need 1970-80s parts go to that address and then "for sale" and "repro resin parts".
Good luck,
Rob J

·
Registered
165 Posts
Good Luck ! It has been my experience that these plugs don't usually get lost or broken since they are attached to the wires and motor. It is usually the pin that breaks off the bottom part, and I have repaired these easily by drilling out the pin and replacing it with a similar pin from VIP spares. When you do find these " guide plugs", soldering on the wires should be done carefully so as not to melt the area of the rivets that holds the metal plates in place. Sometimes I use an alligator clip on the plate as a heat sinc, tin the plate and wire before using a minimum of heat to attach.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Rob, had a quick look after reading your first post with the link,noticed that he doesn't have these but he might come in handy in the future. Have looked at a few other sites for parts but some are sold out or out of stock.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 54 Posts