SlotForum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hi again,
Wondering whether anyone can help me with the light blue Lotus 16 seen earlier in this thread. What colours are the carbies and mirrors supposed to be, yellow or blue. From the limited number of pictures I have seen on the net the only Aussie made Light blue C54 Lotus 16 I have seen had yellow carbies and mirrors. Must say a quick thanks to Phil Smith from scaleslotcars for his help with the parts to get the cars back up to scratch, all are coming up a treat and I'm hoping to get a few more for my modest collection. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
For those interested heres a few more of the restored cars and a couple of extras I have.

The Austin Healey 3000-new bumpers and windscreen.

The Light blue Lotus 16 (I have used chrome mirrors and carbies until I can source some yellow mirrors)

A Type 1 red Lotus 16 (only needed a clean,mirrors and exhaust)

And this one I picked up a 'new' body still in the packet, the only thing on this car that isn't new original stock is the RX motor (Although that looks new as well,was the original motor from the light blue Lotus that looked in great condition for its age but just wouldn't go, a touch of solder and I had a running motor).

And a Datsun 260Z to finish off (for now)

Still like to get my hands on a green Lotus 16 and finish off another couple I've got in the garage.

Matt

· Premium Member
1,123 Posts
A great lineup, Matt. If you're keen on original colours for Aus-NZ versions, an alternative for the blue Lotus seems to be red mirrors and intake trumpets. Those were on a Lotus 16 advertised recently online in NZ. I saved the photos and can send one or two by PM if you'd like to see them.
Yes; you must get a green one. That was in the Aus-NZ range and you should be able to find one. I used to have about three colours and kept just the green because it was closest to the full 1:1 car, though I'll probably paint the lower half an aluminium colour one day.
Rob J

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
G'day Rob,

I have seen the blue Lotus with red mirrors and carbies but it wasn't an AUS/NZ version of the car. The green ones seem to pop up on Ebay quite often just have to wait for the right one(and price). I have also seen that the AUS/NZ Lotus's also came in what seems to be called an apple green. I have another blue lotus in the garage at the moment which will need quite a bit of reshaping as it is well out of shape, not the dark blue that I have seen pictures of but a lot darker than my light blue one. The British racing green one is what I'll be on the lookout for in either the type 1,2 or 3. I actually have a set of the red mirrors and carbies at the moment so will have to have a look. Would appreciate if you can PM me the photo also Rob,thanks.

Matt

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Cheers Fellas, having a bit of fun restoring the older cars at the moment and have another 3 awaiting some TLC in the garage at the moment. Major job is getting the other blue Lotus 16 back to shape which is proving a little harder than I thought.

Matt

· Premium Member
1,123 Posts
I may as well post the pics here, Matt. I don't think the photographers would mind.
First, the blue car with red mirrors and intakes. I don't have a pic of the bottom but I labelled the pic as an Aus-NZ car, so it was probably specified in the sale notes.
No guarantee, of course, that this is factory-original, but I don't think it's been restored recently. One of the intake trumpets seems to be missing.

Two cars and a body were offered in another online sale in NZ. The pics are very low-res but I think these are Aus-NZ versions too. The blue car has the yellow mirrors and intakes. The yellow car has green trumpets (no mirrors) and the green body has yellow trumpets.
That's the same green as my Lotus 16. I don't think I've seen an apple-green one. Mine has plain body-coloured green trumpets (no mirrors at present).

Rob J

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks for the pictures Rob. It seems that these cars come in quite a variety of colours and also with a few different combinations regarding the colours of the mirrors and carbies. The blue you have in these pics is a lot darker then both of the blue Lotus's I have and thats the green I'm after, hoping to pick up a few more of these in various colours in the future.

Thanks

Matt

· Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Matt: Yes; the number of colours in these Aus-NZ Lotuses is quite surprising, considering the relatively small market there must have been. Some seem to turn up in the northern hemisphere, but I don't know if they were commercially exported and used in the Scalextric supply system.
On the other hand, the Lotus 16 may have been the only Scalextric car made in this part of the world (the shell, at least, in Melbourne, I think) and they may have decided lots of colours were justified to provide some variety.
You're right. I see now that the blue cars in the pics I posted are darker than the one you showed, maybe like the one in your garage.
Keep up the good work.
Rob J

· Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,221 Posts
All this talk of Lotus 16s, reminded me of one I did about 12 years ago.

Certainly not a "Restoration", but, a bit of a rebuild, repaint, etc. I added my own wheels and inserts, some eyelet Trumpets and some paint on the driver.

This car was actually sent to a Proxy race in California, about 2002 or so, and, didn't come last by a long shot. Even amongst all modern machinery. I think I came about mid pack out of 18 entries. Not bad for an old Blister from 1962.

· Registered
481 Posts
Hi Rob, the other blue car I have is a completely different shade of blue to the one you have pictured and the light blue one I have. Hoping to reshape it soon (if possible) and I'll post a picture of it. I think your right about the C54 Lotus being the only scalextric/triang car ever made in Australia, read that it was the Moldex Factory in Melbourne. I have seen a few Aust/NZ made Lotus's up for sale on Ebay in the UK over the past few months and they have sold for quite a bit more than the more available UK made versions (funny as I'm typing this there is a yellow Lotus on Ebay at the moment up to $62AU already and still 7 days left to bid). I have seen quite a few of the British racing green ones pop up now and again, might be lucky and get hold of one soon.

Hi bwaminispeed,
Nice Lotus there. Hoping one day to try to do something similar with the wheels/inserts and the intakes, looks good. I have seen another Lotus done similar to yours (pretty sure the same wheels and inserts) with the only difference being the lower body was painted silver.

Cheers
Matt

· Premium Member
1,123 Posts
BTW: That's an impressive rebuild. It looks purposeful, as they say, especially with your famous wheels. Did it have the old pin guide or something different?

Matt: The variety of colour combinations -- fittings to bodies -- may actually have been quite haphazard. No computer-controlled production systems then. They may have decided that lots of colours were good and then just used whatever fittings were available that month.
Even some of the body colour differences, such as the light and mid-blue, may have simply been due to different mixes from one period to the next.
The apple-green you've seen, however, would surely be deliberate. It seems a rarity. Must keep the proverbial eye out for it.
Rob J

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.