Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a data base of tartans somewhere that I am not aware of???? I am looking for the tartan on the front of this Ferrari--making it by Corel Draw is not a very efficient option--but an optiion.

Thanks
Howard

Attachments

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi
The lime green ferraris were run by BRP which was part owned by alfred moss ,stirlings dad ,the tartan was from the crauford clan which was stirling moss,s mum, Aileens' maiden name
not sure if that helps or not but there is a crawford tartan shown in that list of tartans which looks about right

Cheers tony

·
Phil Smith
2,621 Posts
I did the decals for this car a couple of years ago and used this tartan

Now I remember doing a lot of searching for the correct tartan but cannot remember if I ever found it or just used something that looked right!

also some Lola GT on the sheet.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,588 Posts
Is that car not an Innes Ireland one ? Innes's family were descended from the McGregor clan so it would likely be McGregor tartan (as Martin says above but for different reaons).

The stirling Moss tartan connection was the seating material in his Mercedes again as Martin says via his mother.

Kind regards, Leo

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
And you'll need something to rest it on while the tartan paint dries, so remember to ask them for a long stand.
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
D'you know Phil,

I must nip down to Halfords to "check" on that !!.

I've used their striped paint in the past, but not the chequered.

vbr Chris A.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What a can of worms this turned out to be!!!! There are only a zillion tartans and about a million in any one catagory : )) Thanks one and all for the help--if nothing else I found the Stewart Tartan. I especially like the checkered paint idea--could youse that to simply do the stripe around Innes Ireland's helmet.
Thanks again
Howard

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really should get spell check!!!!! My mind knnow the spelling but my fingers are lost on the keyboard!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
QUOTE scaleslotcars Posted Today, 10:50 AM
I did the decals for this car a couple of years ago and used this tartan
Hi Phil,
Surely that's a Royal Stewart tartan you've used.
This is the tartan of the royal family and all of the Queen's subjects are allowed to wear this tartan - even the English ones!
I don't know for sure which tartan BRP actually used or even if it was always the same one but I am sure it wasn't a Royal Stewart.
Cheers.

·
David J
3,182 Posts
If you got a better picture of the car you could probably just copy the image of the tartan, by the time you print the decal at 1/32 it should look OK.

I tried it for you....

DJ

·
Phil Smith
2,621 Posts
QUOTE Surely that's a Royal Stewart tartan you've used.

I did say I wasn't sure if it was the right one, as I said in my post.

QUOTE Now I remember doing a lot of searching for the correct tartan but cannot remember if I ever found it or just used something that looked right!

So I guess I must have used one that looked about right.

QUOTE If you got a better picture of the car you could probably just copy the image of the tartan, by the time you print the decal at 1/32 it should look OK.

That's what I did, but took an image of the tartan from one of the many sites showing them, looked ok in 1/32 but of course for a proper job you should redraw it in CorelDraw (or what ever drawing program you use)

If you do a search for MacGregor tartans you do get quite a few and some are quite different to each other, but this seems a typical one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts