SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a few old shells that I would like to take apart, repaint, redecal, and reassemble. I have no idea of the glue type but I assume that it's just typical model glue. Any thoughts on products that will make this job easier? Thanks for your help.

Jay

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi Jay,

I have recently disassembled an old 60's Revell Mercury Cougar quite sucessfully.
I bought some liquid polysyrene cement, the type you apply with a brush. I applied it to the glued areas with the tip of a modeling knife and left it for ten minutes. I repeated this 'til I felt the glue had penetrated and softened the old joint enough and then I carefully eased the joined parts apart.

Word of caution. The liquid glue will run everywhere between the joined surfaces, even uphill!. Don't apply too much as it will ooze out of the joints on the outside! Also be careful of the clear parts as too much glue will cause them to go cloudy. If this happens, a once over with 1400 wet and dry and finish off with Tamiya fine cutting compound should bring it back.

Lastly, if any parts go soft in the process, just leave them in a well ventilated spot for a few days and they will harden nicely. Don't forget, before you come to glue all the bits together again, scrape the mating surfaces lightly with the sharp edge of a modeling knife. There will be a 'crusty' edge to the glued areas and the new glue will be reluctant to work on this.

Best of luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts