SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently signed onto here a few weeks after my girlfriend brought me a set for our anniversary! I was just wondering if any body had ANY hints or tips for a good track setup and decent looking layout? Any ideas would be welcome, i have a humpback bridge and have started a lake but would like more added.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Hi Adam,

Welcome to the forum where you will find loads of information and help to get you going ....... sometimes it can be a little slow in coming.

With regards to track setup, I would suggest that your have a good look around as the members' track can be quite small to really quite big. They might be laid out on the "rug" or on boards supported by trestles, maybe on electric hoists than store the whole shebang against the ceiling.

Quite often, you will see links to track layouts in the signature of the person posting.

All the best - Greg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a 8ft by 4ft MDF board and all the track and some cars and as you said ive looked through some amazing designs on here and was looking for help on making rock faces or snow anything like that lol. Im in the early stages so i kind of want EVERYTHING haha!

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
........ just remember that experience is proportional to the number of cock-ups you make!

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Hi Adam, welcome to the adventure.

There's so much information contained in people's various track build thread. I guess one of the questions I'd be asking first up is 'what style of track are you trying to create?' Lot's of ideas that will fit a traditional racing circuit, but wouldn't necessarily work on an road rally/targa style track, or an offroad rally track. So, step one would be think about what you really want out of a track.

Rocks and scenic goodies range from easy to hard depending on how far you want to take things or how much money you want to spend.

For rocks, I went the el-cheapo route and used FRocks (foam roacks). There are some details of how to do them in my build thread below. Another member, Chain, has recently used the same FRocking method on a much larger scale on his RattleSnake Speedway.

Rocks can also be done with cast plaster. Jmswms is the master of the cast rock. His most recent track is able to be viewed here.

Another method for rocks is to carve them direct from polystyrene. One fine sample of this method resides in Datto's Groom Lake. Part one, the structural build, is here and the detailing is here.

So, as you see, there is a lot of information available on the forum. And that just covers 3 ways of making rocks. There are more.

Spend a few hours (or days) reading through the Track & Scenery forum. You will learn a lot. Then be prepared to ask questions. Most folks are more than willing to help.

Cheers
Embs

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will definately be looking through the website for some ideas theres some amazing stuff on here.

I kind of think i want a rally kind of track because i love the effect of the dirt and the snow ive seen on here, although every car i see i like so i cant be certain that ill only buy rally car lol. Already have a varied collection.

Great help with the rocks ill look through all your links as any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Adam!

This form is great for inspiration & the guys here helped me get a good track up and running.

My one suggestion is regarding your 8x4 board - if you've got space, I'd definitely recommend cutting a bit out from it and making a more irregular shape. I got an 8x4 board cut into 4 bits of 2x4 (much easier to store behind the sofa!) then took the top-left bit and attached it to the end of the bottom left bit. It's great as it gives a straight almost 12 feet long for really getting some speed up, space for a pit lane and room for some fairly tricky curves too.

There's a couple of pics that show what I mean - taken a while ago with just track, no scenery, sorry for the bad quality tho (must remember to take some more up-to-date ones one day, instead of just playing with it...)

Enjoy the racing!

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Way too much time racing, and loads thinking of what to do but very little actually doing any scenic stuff... Done a bit recently and really need to get some new photos at the weekend.

I've used Woodland Scenics (Link) kits for trees in a forresty section - they're meant for OO/HO railways, but look really good on the scalextric track too, really simple to make and you get a good few in a pack.

There's also a few places online that have free downloads of scenic buildings you can download, print and glue together - here's one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha i know what you mean although i havent raced for a few weeks, ive started a small lake for my bridge to go over and as soon as thats done im gettin the track down and trying to decide what scenics to add.

Ill have a look at them like, heard good things about woodland scenics from a friend.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Pictures of my new track made by me and my surprisingly imaginative amazing girlfriend!! Fitted onto a 8x4 foot board with all my cars scattered around on it.

Needs slightly more props and have a few ideas for scenery which i cant wait to get started.

Any views welcome, the more the better

Cheers, Adam

1 - 20 of 24 Posts